injector / turbo upgrade? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 20-08-11 Thread Starter

County: Lancashire

Member car:

1.9jtd

injector / turbo upgrade?

hi

come here for help / guidance as its not available on forum for Vec's & its a feudal forum which i no longer want to be part of

basically got vec 1.9 cdti 150 16v. Long term plan is to get it above 250hp , drop in a 3.09 final drive ( current 3.55 ) , change gearing a little and be able to use the power generated in a better way than it currently is delivered

looking to upgrade turbo to gt2056v but need to get custom manifold to go with it as its an integrated unit with OEM turbo

Going to get STI FMIC from subaru colleague that should be more than enough for the new turbo

What i need help with is injector upgrades.

has anyone on here managed to fit injectors with higher flow rate to this engine, which i assume is the same at 1.9jtd 16v?

If so which bosch injector did you go with and subsequently did you have problems with fuel pump pressures???

I assume above 250hp then a new maf wil be essential

many questions & advance thanks for help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Suffolk

Member car:

147 JTD, YZF600R

I would start from the ground up. rebuild the engine and get it to peak condition. port match the manifolds (intake>Head/Head>Exh/Exh>Turbo) and make the ports as good as they can be (smooth with no lumps or bumps).

decide on the size of turbocharger you need to flow the air you need for that torque output, big intercooler, probably larger injectors at a slightly higher pressure. I think the std 150ps spec injectors flow enough for 200/220ps at most..then you start running out of time to squirt enough fuel in..

They're are racing engines based this engine that make somewhere around 280/300hp

1.9 JTD M-Jet 16v 140ps.
Gas flowed head, Polished valves, Port matched manifolds, New Turbo.
JS-T primary Decat, MrZ full-bore Center Decat , Oil recirc tank, Big filter conversion.
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 20-08-11 Thread Starter

Member car:

1.9jtd

thanks

Yes porting was on my to do list but its more the injectors / fueling that i'm interested in where i can hopefully gather others knowledge on what may already have been done....rather than reinvent the wheel and then find the fuel pump can't sustain the fuelling required.

it seems the most people get to on 1.9 vec is 250hp or so and thats with remap, fmic, decat, water meth combo / reworked turbo from 17/49 oem to 17/56. They stay that way i guess to keep the oem turbo / exhaust manifold intact rather than have to custom a new manifold.

I kind of wanted to push to 300hp or so custom remap is needed once everything else is in place as i'm changing gearing at same time

I've seen an audi 1.9 go to 450hp on another forum so it must be possible with the right workings
AO Silver Member

County: Moravskoslezský
Garage
Start with calculating how much fuel and air you need for such BHP figures, specify AFR and then the pressure your turbo will need to develop.
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
i think you will find a GT2056V will fall short just shy of 250 BHP...
(Post Link) post #6 of 9 Old 21-08-11 Thread Starter

Member car:

1.9jtd

hmm

back to the drawing board then.

thanks for advice to date,

so bigger turbo than 20/56, i'll have to get hold of the relavant maps from garrett, although i'd worry about lag going more than what i'd initially thought, perhaps i'll have to get it upgraded to ball bearing...

but has anyone fitted injectors with greater flow rate into the 1.9 engine yet, to give me an idea of what has alrady been done?

thanks
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Think about the new GTB range of turbos, they spool earlier than the old GT range for the same size internals.
AO Silver Member

County: -
Injectors cope quite well, but if you want more, you can get injectors with higher flow from Alfa... They are used in all 170BHP JTDm engines (like 147 ducati corse, or 147 and GT quadrifoglio verde models)...
(Post Link) post #9 of 9 Old 21-08-11 Thread Starter

Member car:

1.9jtd

assume these injectors are Bosch??

Don't suppose you have the Bosch part numbers??? so i can begin to source some?

I know i'll have to code the injectors to ecu....that u can leave to a friends mate who'll custom remap

in relation to turbo, yes i think thats a good idea. to be honest i rarely keep it below 2000 revs anyway on the go, so hopefully that + a faster spool should prevent too much lag... currently comes on stream at about 1500.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
injector , turbo , upgrade

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page