147 Engine Transplants - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 22 Old 07-08-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire

Member car:

147 Engine Transplants

I suspect that the big end has gone on my 147, so im expecting to need a new engine. I luckily have an RAC warranty, so im hoping that will pick up the cost.

Anyhow, apart from replacing it like for like with another 2.0 TS engine, do i have any other options. For example, will a 3L GTV engine fit or perhaps will a 2.5L 156 engine slot in easier?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Damien_C

V6 engines are too hard to fit into a non V6 car. Just get another TS engine really.

AO Gold Member

County: Gauteng

Member car:

GTV 2.8 Turbo

Fitting the v6 is easy the problem is getting all the electronics to work so yes I agree stay with a TS motor.
AO Member

County: Paris / Ill de France

Member car:

gtv 3l turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonutters View Post
fitting the v6 is easy the problem is getting all the electronics to work so yes i agree stay with a ts motor.
+1000000000000000000000
Damien_C

Quote:
Fitting the v6 is easy the problem is getting all the electronics to work so yes I agree stay with a TS motor.
Although in saying that I might be doing it in the near future lol. It's easier on the 156 though.

AO Gold Member

Member car:

GTV 2.8 Turbo

Depending on the moddel of tje 156
Damien_C

True the earlier ones are easier non facelift cars on the both counts.

(Post Link) post #8 of 22 Old 14-08-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Ok, so Ive gathered that the V6 would be a nightmare. How about if the diesel turbo be in someway fitted to a petrol engine?
AO Gold Member

County: North Yorkshire
cant you put a 2.0 turbo (4 or 5 pot) in out of a Fiat Coupe. That'd be my choice in your position.
Damien_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfieblack View Post
Ok, so Ive gathered that the V6 would be a nightmare. How about if the diesel turbo be in someway fitted to a petrol engine?
Buddy has done it but he is a Fiat/Alfa mech I wouldn't be doing it if I wasn't to be honest.

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Unless you can do the work yourself then it would be cheaper to sell your car and buy a diesel one.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

GTV 2.8 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon View Post
cant you put a 2.0 turbo (4 or 5 pot) in out of a Fiat Coupe. That'd be my choice in your position.
Exactly the same problem as with a V6 the electronics are not the same so traction control and all the other nice things will probably not work so no I will not advise it.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

GTV 2.8 Turbo

Quote:
Do you want to fit the diesel manifold and turbo on your TS motor?
If yes it can definitely be done although I will suggest that you rather use a 1.9 turbo outlet manifold with a 2.4 turbo since the 1.9 turbo will be a bit small for the TS.
Damien_C

I never knew they where a direct fit turbo nutters. How do ye get oil feeds etc to the turbo and what kinda power outta a TS engine can you get?

AO Gold Member

Member car:

GTV 2.8 Turbo

The easiest is to tap the oil from the rear of the head. There’s a small grub screw that you remove and you have an oil feed for the turbo.
Return is more of a job since you have to fashion a inlet on the sump as high as possible.
Power obviously depends on what you boost but it is safe to say that you can easily make more power than a 2.5v6 without compromising reliability. For fueling you can ad an additional injector preferably a 1000cc with a standalone system to drive it.
The oe ECU will handle the rest as normal.
Unfortunately the diesel outlet manifolds are expensive in SA so we stick to fabricating our own manifolds.

GTV V6 Turbo, Q2, Eibach, Koni, and lots more
916 2.0 Spider what have I done
Triumph Trophy 1200 to counter the fuel prices.
AO Gold Member

County: North Yorkshire
Quote:
Exactly the same problem as with a V6 the electronics are not the same so traction control and all the other nice things will probably not work so no I will not advise it.
Doh!!
Damien_C

Quote:
The easiest is to tap the oil from the rear of the head. There’s a small grub screw that you remove and you have an oil feed for the turbo.
Return is more of a job since you have to fashion a inlet on the sump as high as possible.
Power obviously depends on what you boost but it is safe to say that you can easily make more power than a 2.5v6 without compromising reliability. For fueling you can ad an additional injector preferably a 1000cc with a standalone system to drive it.
The oe ECU will handle the rest as normal.
Unfortunately the diesel outlet manifolds are expensive in SA so we stick to fabricating our own manifolds.
That's all very cool any pics of work you have done you have me thinking now lol.What size turbo did ye go something like a GT28RS or simlar? And about what .7 of a bar of boost with an FMIC I suppose is the standard fuel pump ok and what kinda standalone ECU would you need for the 1000cc injector?

AO Gold Member

Member car:

GTV 2.8 Turbo

GT28rs will be perfect if you are stingy like me you can always get a Mitsubi****D04 from a Volvo t5 they have a internal waste gate and dump valve the stock TS motor can handle a lot of boost i turned my GTV 2.0ts up to 0.8 without a problem apart from the gearbox starting to complain.
Yes a FMIC would be wise. We use a Gotec stand alone management to drive the injector it is cheap and easy to map safely. I would suggest that you get a good quality wideband to set the fueling and a egt gage to monitor exhaust gas temperature so that you can see when things aren’t the way they should be.
On customers cars we normally boost 0.5bar which is 100% safe.
The TS can take up to 0.2bar without additional fueling.

My TS GTV evolved into a V6 24v turbo. With the GTV I unfortunately had to dump the oe management since I changed to v6 so now we are using a Gotech standalone to do everything.
Damien_C

Holy god that is unreal I think I shall be pming you

(Post Link) post #20 of 22 Old 17-08-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

What sort of power could you expect from a turbo'd 2.0 TS? For the 0.2bar and the 0.5 bar. How much would you charge Turbonutters?
(Post Link) post #21 of 22 Old 08-09-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Quote:
Could you run two ECU's? the original one for the traction control etc and the ecu from the new engine to run the new engine?

Im mentioning this again as my engine has failed again and the warranty will pay for the new engine. My alfa chap says that he will put a v6 engine in if I wish.

Im guessing that it needs to be a five speed engine rather than a six? Looking on ebay I think the 5 speed GTV engines could be the way to go?
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Could you run two ECU's? the original one for the traction control etc and the ecu from the new engine to run the new engine?

Im mentioning this again as my engine has failed again and the warranty will pay for the new engine. My alfa chap says that he will put a v6 engine in if I wish.

Im guessing that it needs to be a five speed engine rather than a six? Looking on ebay I think the 5 speed GTV engines could be the way to go?
Will the warranty pay for a V6 if you had a TS engine? As far as I have it - they pay like-for-like replacements - no-one pays for upgrades .

In essence anything can be done, it a question of how much money and time are you willing to throw at it. You can run two ECU's - one managing fuel etc - but traction control won't work other than the ABS - as you are breaking the link from your body computer to the ECU that should retard power when traction control kicks in.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
147 , engine , transplants

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page