Headers for GT 2.0 JTS - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 11-07-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Mexico
Headers for GT 2.0 JTS

Hello there!
I have started the upgrade of my GT 2.0 JTS with a cat back Magnaflow sistem with a nice pair of DTM tails. The guys that perform this (Hangar 1) suggested me to install tailor made headers in order to gain around 10% in hp and torque. Does anyone have done something similar? Any suggestion, examples, pics available?

Also considering to install a BMC filter, the CDA kit. Any experience with this one?
Tks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 164.jpg (67.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 166.jpg (78.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 168.jpg (59.7 KB, 18 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
Membro Medio

County: Bratislavsky
Only readily available are from supersprint as far as I know:
Manifold, ALFA ROMEO GT Coupé 2.0i JTS ' 04??

I have custom made ones, but as the Supersprint prices went down for older Alfas recently, its easier and even cheaper to buy something like that.
AO Member

County: Limburg
Wow! looks like they went down quite a bit
(Post Link) post #4 of 12 Old 14-07-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Tks for the link Gotcha! Great example.
As far as I can see, costs are very similar to what I found here. How much do you gain with that manifold on your gta? what about noise?
Could you pls tell me about your 147's remap? Cause Im considering
Upsolute, as is the only available here for Alfas. Tks a lot!
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
Membro Medio

County: Bratislavsky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Mexicano View Post
Tks for the link Gotcha! Great example.
As far as I can see, costs are very similar to what I found here. How much do you gain with that manifold on your gta? what about noise?
Could you pls tell me about your 147's remap? Cause Im considering
Upsolute, as is the only available here for Alfas. Tks a lot!
Hi,

First, I have 2 Alfa 147s, 1,6TS and GTA. And both have custom exhausts.
Considering the exhaust on your 2,0 JTS, my 1,6 is much closer in the design than GTA and you cant really pass V6 experience on 4 cylinder engine.

On TS I have custom built manifold, not Supersprint one. But the design is similar, its 4-2-1 manifold, without pre-cats. Here you can see some pictures from the building:
Index of /gotcha/Exhaust/Custom fit manifold

5 years ago, Supersprint was 1200 EUR, so I got custom built. But now when Supersprint is 600 I would go for it. Its proved solution, you can just bolt it on and not to be a week without a car till the exhaust is custom built.

Regarding experience, you don't really "need" remap so that it works. I had quite an increase in torque, engine revs much more freely and to sound is nicer. Its much different than changing the back box mainly because the sharper sound comes from the engine bay, not back of the car There is absolutely no problem with emissions if you keep the main cat. I measured it and they were the same.

Later I replaced the main cat with 200CPI HJS cat. I still pass the emission test, but I need to keep the car a minute in 4k rpm so that the cat heats up and only than measure emissions.

If you can have the car custom remapped after, its just a benefit for you, but its not a must.

147GTA,Grigio Metallico,Imola leather,3.75l conversion,ported heads,F575 TB,Carbon plenum,Stainless manifolds,EQ pipes,Supersprint silenced cat back,18" GT multispokes,KW V3,Galfer 6pot 355mm,Brembo sport rear

147 1.6TS, Nerro,Beige Interior,Galfer Extreme Brake kit,2,0TS intake manifold,Custom ex. manifold,200CPI cat,Supersprint silenced center + OO backbox,GTA spoiler,GTA side skirts,GTA headlights,Blaupunkt LA MP74 + Focal + MacAudio + Dynamat + HERZ subwoofer
(Post Link) post #6 of 12 Old 15-07-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Gotcha, tks again for sharing your experience.
Those pics are great!
Will perform the mainifold next month and CDA this weekend. Will share pics ASAP.
Forza Alfisti!
MGG
AO Member

County: Canterbury

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.0 JTS

Hey I would really like to know how your exhaust modifications went as I am about to get a full Supersprint system for my 156 JTS followed by a remap.

I am considering whether to install a new air filter as well but I haven't really read anything yet to sway me either way.
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
Garage
MGG, put it this way:

Supersprint optimizes the breathing out part, The remap optimizes the use of the breath, I would say it will help to optimize the breathing in too... In isolation these 3 do not bring much gains, but done together it is synergy...

I don't know what type of filter the 2.0 JTS uses, but for instance the cylindrical filter in the 2.5 V6 is so big, a CDA or other induction kit does not add value, where as the panel filter in the 2.0 TS does not flow as well. K&N type replacement filters work a charm - no oil needed for 1st install, only on clean event

And then the sequence of events... Filter/ exhaust doesn't bother, but do the remap last...

Last edited by Gertie; 06-05-13 at 08:20.
MGG
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.0 JTS

Thanks for that.

The air filter on the JTS is a rather large cylindrical filter one possibly a foot long so I may consider a K&N filter. Although I do get the feeling that K&N are a little over priced when you consider the actual material value of the part but I am yet to see a tried and tested substitute.

I actually went through a rather large puddle yesterday and was glad that I had a stock airbox with the breather tucked out of the way.
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGG View Post
Thanks for that.

The air filter on the JTS is a rather large cylindrical filter one possibly a foot long so I may consider a K&N filter. Although I do get the feeling that K&N are a little over priced when you consider the actual material value of the part but I am yet to see a tried and tested substitute.

I actually went through a rather large puddle yesterday and was glad that I had a stock airbox with the breather tucked out of the way.
Agreed then aftermarket induction kit will not benefit you over the OEM piping - the K&N filter is pricey, yes, but they are reusable... just get a cleaning kit and you are sorted for 100k km+, cleaning the filter at the required intervals (depending on the dust conditions where you are - but that is true also for OEM filters)
(Post Link) post #11 of 12 Old 08-05-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

About exhaust and filter upgrade

Hello there.
In my experience, the exhaust modifications I have made were succesfull after some adjustments. Let me explain myself: I gain throttle response/ torque. The kind of adjustments I have made were the ones related to sound, as I feel it became too noisy. After solving that with a high flow silencer at the end of the line, I have decided to go for the BMC-CDA air filter. Instalation was easier than I expected, and what I got was an increase on what I have gained with exhaust, but also something unexpected was that I can reach on a highway easily the 220 kmph (very long straigh line and at 800 m above sea level) and that was very surprising for me because the car felt very well at that speed just above 7000 rpm. Between 180 kmph and 220 the throttle felt great, pushing easily until reached 220.
I know its not an accurate or reliable way to measure hp gain, but using my gps and an app (Pocket Dyno) and after several tries at Mexico City at a height of 2200 mts above sea level, the result was an increase from 165 to 186 HP.
So if you asked me about going or not for those upgrades I would say yes go for them. With the plus that you have Supersprint parts available and that means less effort than me to get the results you expect from your JTS.
MGG
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.0 JTS

Thanks for the response. A custom made exhaust wasn't really an option for me as I don't think there is anyone in Canterbury who can make them like Supersprint can.

I am still seceptical over the air filters but at least they are easy enough to change.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
headers , jts

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page