147 2.0 track / racer help - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 03-07-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

147 2.0 track / racer help

Need some advice from anyone who knows about preparing a car for events.

I have had my 2003 2.0 147 since 2005 and following smashed sump last year I spent £3k+ on a refresh- new engine, suspension, gearbox (and obv. timing belts clutch etc) and as I know Ill never get that back in a sale I have decided to turn it into a track car or race car.

So far I have 35mm H+R lowering springs, new sport shocks, all interior gone except dash, sports exhaust with 3 cats in place (but no after cat lambda), DIY ram air with high flow filter.

Next up is an OMP roll cage, plumbed fire extinguisher, racing approved seats, removal of AC and heater, plexiglass side windows, removal of spare wheel well, underbody aero/Seat Leon Cupra front lip, and slick tyres.

But I havent decided whether I will stick purely to track days or if Ill enter a few races locally. I dont wanna make changes that will bar me from entering races.

Anyone any advice on whether cams and ITBs are allowed?
will removal of cats and lambdas altogether cause power increase or loss?
I haven't touched the airbags, should I take them out? I'm assuming they wont work without front seats anyway.
Can I use thin plastic for door cards or will this be fire hazard?
I have 215/45/17 supersport alloys, should I change them to get better performance?
Poly bushes, they seem crazy expensive for all they are, are they worth it? (my suspension has only covered 1k since being completely replaced.)

2.0 TS, custom hand stitched leather and alacantra interior, custom SS system, H+R suspension upgrade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Dumfries and Galloway
u really need to look into what races you want to enter and get a hold of the rules and regulations and study them carefully, i helped to build an old xr2 race car but it is driven in a very open set of regs, they class by engine size and whether it is a kit car or saloon and then you can more or less do anything you want.
look in the MSA blue book and have a look through that maybe??
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 05-07-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

I looked through the blue book and was bewildered by what category I wanted to build the car for, initially thought modified saloons but having gone to a few hillclimbs there is no way that I could get the 147 to be competitive against them, they're no expense spared RWD or 4WD machines, but Ive already gone too far with modification to enter stock class (need MOT and tax and I have no ABS, TC, ASR, cats or Airbags so cant get MOT). All the hillclimbs and sprints near me are organised by a local club so think Ill take a run up to one of their club meetings and see if there's anyone willing to come out and look at the car, or see if they adjust the regs to allow club members to enter their cars.
AO Silver Member

i know of plenty garages who could put the car through MOT no probs (not dodgy, stage rally cars are the same but you need MOT in order to enter the vehicles) with what you describe above, the only ting that jumps out is no cats, but as long as it passes emissions there is no prob
unless of course Ireland are more strict (NCT??)
every club etc will be different, best to talk to local guys to see what they race to
there is no point in just building any old car to some regulations if you are not sure where and who you race with
that why stuff like tin top or saloon racing is quite good as the regs are quite open (at least the ones i know about )
if you just want track car which i imagine you do just do everything you can afford to do
if you ever do hill climb or sprint there is normally a unlimited class where you just do what you want, but you are right that your vehicle will not be very competitive, but still good fun
(Post Link) post #5 of 8 Old 05-07-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for your replies.

Im in NI so all MOTs are done by government agency (DVA) rather than licenced garages so stricter than in Engalnd/Wales, the part that I would have difficulties with most would be that all standard safety equipment must be working and that includes ABS, TC, airbags etc. but Ill just get it done for track days first and see if some of the local club officials can help get it ready to race or see if that's gonna be an option.
AO Silver Member

oh ok, that pretty strict and crap for mot's then, since you need none of the safety equipment to drive the car, old cars have none of it, drive over to scotland england or wales for the day to get it mot'd lol
AO Silver Member

another question is how would they test it all do the always plug a car into diagnostics for an MOT? or do they spin up the wheels and drift the car around or crash it into something to check it all works???
(Post Link) post #8 of 8 Old 06-07-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

no but if theres fault lights on during the test its an automatic fail, plus in this case they'd be able to see holes where the airbags are supposed to be lol

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
147 , racer , track

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page