Modifica Brera 2.4 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 21 Old 29-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Aberdeenshire
Modifica Brera 2.4

Hi folks,

Im picking my new Brera 2.4 up in a few weeks time and wondered what upgrades was worth getting?

I see that Mangoletsi does a pedal power mod for about 350 & also a 45bhp mod for about 720.

Has anyone had this work done before & can give me some info about them or any other mods that is maybe worth looking at?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Northants
Normally, people do DPF filter removal and remap engine wise. This releases approx. 260bhp. Handling wise, either a good set of coilovers or Eibach Springs with a decent damper set-up. It all depends how much you want to spend or how far you want to go
(Post Link) post #3 of 21 Old 30-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcot View Post
Normally, people do DPF filter removal and remap engine wise. This releases approx. 260bhp. Handling wise, either a good set of coilovers or Eibach Springs with a decent damper set-up. It all depends how much you want to spend or how far you want to go
Yeh the filter removal & remap I would be interested in. How much would that cost & what does that do to mpg?

I previously owned a 2.5 156 & 3.00 GTV but kept both standard so this is my first time doing mods.

Thanks for the help
AO Silver Member

AHM and Alfatuner do DPF removal, EGR blank and remap for 720 inc VAT. Some very happy customers. I'm seriously considering getting a 1.9JTDM 159SW for the wife and getting this work done on it.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderfish View Post
AHM and Alfatuner do DPF removal, EGR blank and remap for 720 inc VAT. Some very happy customers. I'm seriously considering getting a 1.9JTDM 159SW for the wife and getting this work done on it.
Yep, but there are other places doing it for 360 inc VAT, so it's up to you which you go for. There's some extensive discussion in the 159/Brera/Spider section about DPF removal.
(Post Link) post #6 of 21 Old 30-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for the info, been checking that section and seems most places charge 720. Gus at Alfa Tune has some great reviews. Do you know who charges 360? Maybe you get less for your money though?
AO Member

These guys:

DPF Removal Alfa 159, Brera & GT + EGR Valve 300

As said, there's loads of discussion in the 159/Brera/Spider section about the pro's and con's of each. A few have used MotorMech now and are really happy. Most charge 720 because AlfaTune use "dealers" to get their product out, so they sell the same product.
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire
I'm booked with Gus at Alfatune in the morning for EGR, DPF & re-map work, looking forwards to picking the car up after.

Mine has never gone into limp mode in the 10 months I've owned it but no dealer has been able to explain / cure the surge then faltering I get between 1700 & 2000 rpm, most noticable in 2nd & 3rd gears.

The EGR has been off, cleaned etc without making a noticable difference, although injector cleaner, on Gus's advice sorted the lumpy tickover out.
Will let you know what the outcomes are.

Send from keyboard on laptop in a house.
AO Gold Member

County: Merseyside
You pay your money, you take your chance;

I would be going to Alfatune....
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1405
County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
These guys:

DPF Removal Alfa 159, Brera & GT + EGR Valve 300

As said, there's loads of discussion in the 159/Brera/Spider section about the pro's and con's of each. A few have used MotorMech now and are really happy. Most charge 720 because AlfaTune use "dealers" to get their product out, so they sell the same product.

I'd be cautious with this cheap immitation. Not only they butchered a customers DPF, 'forgot' to disable the EGR, applied the 'wrong' remap and had various other issues. I noticed someone wrote this place no longer uses the same 'remap' provider(Angel I believe). That doesn't fill me with confidence...

Anyway, too many things I've read about regarding their 'DPF & EGR delete'... If my car had been treated like that I would have been gutted. Generally speaking you get what you pay for so I decided to go and see the proffesionals and never looked back!
(Post Link) post #11 of 21 Old 20-07-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
I'm booked with Gus at Alfatune in the morning for EGR, DPF & re-map work, looking forwards to picking the car up after.

Mine has never gone into limp mode in the 10 months I've owned it but no dealer has been able to explain / cure the surge then faltering I get between 1700 & 2000 rpm, most noticable in 2nd & 3rd gears.

The EGR has been off, cleaned etc without making a noticable difference, although injector cleaner, on Gus's advice sorted the lumpy tickover out.
Will let you know what the outcomes are.

Send from keyboard on laptop in a house.

Great. If u can give me an update once you get it back that would be fantastic.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogz View Post
I'd be cautious with this cheap immitation. Not only they butchered a customers DPF, 'forgot' to disable the EGR, applied the 'wrong' remap and had various other issues. I noticed someone wrote this place no longer uses the same 'remap' provider(Angel I believe). That doesn't fill me with confidence...

Anyway, too many things I've read about regarding their 'DPF & EGR delete'... If my car had been treated like that I would have been gutted. Generally speaking you get what you pay for so I decided to go and see the proffesionals and never looked back!
I understand where you are coming from, and honestly, I would be saying the same thing if I had spent the money already. I'm sure that when Alfatune did the first removal, there were issues. Not quite sure what you mean by "having a car treated like that". All I can see is a cut in the DPF, that is only fit for the scrapheap anyway. I would say this was a principal of competition though, you have the early adopters, who can charge as they please to offer a service. As soon as some level of competition starts to develop, you get people saying "it's not the same..." etc. In Perksy's case, he is a very happy customer. It's like when LCD TV's first came out, people spent 5,000 + on one, a year later, a cheaper brand/model was available for half the price. What's the difference? Is it any worse, just because it's half the price?

I would be interested to see both versions in person, on a rolling road. Then we could validate both options, and see if the price difference is worth paying. I would struggle to justify spending an extra 360 for the same service, and as it stands now, there is no reason to suspect it isn't the same.

2018 Stelvio 2.2D Speciale
Previous: 2007 Brera 2.4 JTDm 210 SV, 1998 GTV Ph1 2.0 TS Lusso
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1405
County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
I understand where you are coming from, and honestly, I would be saying the same thing if I had spent the money already. I'm sure that when Alfatune did the first removal, there were issues. Not quite sure what you mean by "having a car treated like that". All I can see is a cut in the DPF, that is only fit for the scrapheap anyway. I would say this was a principal of competition though, you have the early adopters, who can charge as they please to offer a service. As soon as some level of competition starts to develop, you get people saying "it's not the same..." etc. In Perksy's case, he is a very happy customer. It's like when LCD TV's first came out, people spent 5,000 + on one, a year later, a cheaper brand/model was available for half the price. What's the difference? Is it any worse, just because it's half the price?

I would be interested to see both versions in person, on a rolling road. Then we could validate both options, and see if the price difference is worth paying. I would struggle to justify spending an extra 360 for the same service, and as it stands now, there is no reason to suspect it isn't the same.

Hi Adam,

Of course everybody is entitled to make their own choices and opinions. I just felt it worthwhile to point out to people considering a DPF delete that, for me, there is a difference.
They are welcome to make up their own mind and decide what they want to do to their car.

To clarify by what I meant by by "having a car treated like that" - I would have been upset if an expensive part like the DPF had been cut up like that. But you need to keep in mind that my car was 6months old when I had it done so it may be different for other people.

As for the TV analogy - yes, I agree with you - if I felt I could save half the money on the same product I certainly would. The thing is that one LCD is not necessarily the same as another. Sure they'll both display a picture but there's usually a difference in the detail. So I'm always a bit cautious when something costs half of something else as there's usually a catch...

Anyway, I have shared my views based on my experiences and people can make up their own mind. At the end of the day the difference in price is only 300 which isn't a lot of money and I'm happy to pay it for my own peace of mind.

It sounds like we're both happy with our DPF remove from difference providers so that's all good then isn't it?
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogz View Post
Anyway, I have shared my views based on my experiences and people can make up their own mind. At the end of the day the difference in price is only 300 which isn't a lot of money and I'm happy to pay it for my own peace of mind.

It sounds like we're both happy with our DPF remove from difference providers so that's all good then isn't it?
Definitely, if you are happy with your choice then that's all that matters I was trying to point out that because it's cheaper it's not necessarily inferior (but I agree, you do normally pay for what you get) 300 is another set of front tyres for me I will probably be having mine done towards the end of the year
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lammy TS1 View Post
Great. If u can give me an update once you get it back that would be fantastic.
Hi Lammy TS1

posted this in the "tale of remapping" thread also, but here you go.

These are my brief first impressions.
Bearing in mind I drove from Gus's place straight to the motorway, then down the M62, M1, M18, with very little urban roads / dual carriageways etc on the run, apart from a quick stop off at the gym, it's hardly a full review, but here you are:-

The car pulls harder and smoother from lower rev's, with more torque making the drive feel a lot quicker, and with a greater push in the mid-range also making the power very usable.

At motorway speeds it's far more responsive without the sluggishness / lag, you put your foot down, you go, and how

I don't know if it's just my imagination, but on the way back it also seemed smoother / quieter than in the way up at 5:30 this morning.

I'm really looking forwards to taking it down the roads I know to get a more direct "seat of the pants" comparsion against the pre-map car.

I did even managed to miss turn off on the way back, so did the blast to the next turn off and re-join routine, and lucky for me the slip road was empty of cars so I managed to give it a bit of a blast in 2nd, 3rd and into 4th, very impressed with the outcome, its going to be a deceptivley quick car to drive, better get some practice in.

Thanks to Gus for his time, work and the taxi to and from the station. It was nice to put a face to the voice at last.

ps ta for the nice "addition" in the rear window, I saw it when I filled up, with Shell V Max, and did smile to myself.

will post updates, if folk are interested?
(Post Link) post #16 of 21 Old 26-07-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks Steeler,

How has the car been past few days?
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lammy TS1 View Post
Thanks Steeler,

How has the car been past few days?

It's been great, the push in the mid range is great, the smoothness is still the same. I think I'm getting used to the power delivery, but I've been caught out a couple of times on the motorway, sat cruising at 15mph more than usual. (should look at the speedo more)

I haven't filled up yet to do a brim to brim MPG to compare with the 29mpg average I was getting before, but will do in next day or so and post the outcome.

It can smoke on start up and when you floor it, a bit more that I'd like, so will try a premium diesel for the next few top ups to see if it reduces.

Those DPF's may be a pain in the butt with the regens etc, but they sure do well at stopping the smoke being spewed out.
AO Silver Member

County: Essex
Quote:

It's been great, the push in the mid range is great, the smoothness is still the same. I think I'm getting used to the power delivery, but I've been caught out a couple of times on the motorway, sat cruising at 15mph more than usual. (should look at the speedo more)

I haven't filled up yet to do a brim to brim MPG to compare with the 29mpg average I was getting before, but will do in next day or so and post the outcome.

It can smoke on start up and when you floor it, a bit more that I'd like, so will try a premium diesel for the next few top ups to see if it reduces.

Those DPF's may be a pain in the butt with the regens etc, but they sure do well at stopping the smoke being spewed out.
hmm yes I've noticed this, but found a cure. Put the ignition tag/key in and watch for the glow plug light to go out, then pull out ignition tag/key and put it in again, press start when the glow plug light goes out for the second time.
Two doses of glow plug heat and fuel priming does the job....could be maf or battery related.
AO Silver Member

County: -
Ask your tuner to extend your glow plug activation time
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsmith1 View Post
hmm yes I've noticed this, but found a cure. Put the ignition tag/key in and watch for the glow plug light to go out, then pull out ignition tag/key and put it in again, press start when the glow plug light goes out for the second time.
Two doses of glow plug heat and fuel priming does the job....could be maf or battery related.
Cheers,

Will give it a try and let you know how I get on
AO Silver Member

County: Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by TribesMan View Post
Ask your tuner to extend your glow plug activation time
yes good idea, I was thinking more along the lines of battery sag and the "hot bits" like glow plugs and maf hot wire not getting quite hot enough or dirty/tired maf (mine has had a good dose of nos lol). I was going to do some isolated tests over winter as I thought it could be one of many things.
Quote:
Cheers,

Will give it a try and let you know how I get on
okie dokie finger crossed.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
brera , modifica

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page