hypothetically?? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 27-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Durham
hypothetically??

what difference could/would you hope to get if a GT v6 that had been remapped was again remapped this time with a decatted exhaust fitted???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Pazardjik
Hi mate, no need to remap it again. the exhaust will better the flow of your engine, which cannot be checked or manipulate from the ECU remap. It is pure hardware replacement which does not need to remap the car again Just replace your exhaust and decat the car for sure. But be aware that with decat car the MoT mail fail!!! Do buy a racing cats to be sure that you are in all country regulations. In my country for example, eveything and everybody can be manipulated with money, so we dont need to buy the expensive race cats to pass our MoTs, we just pay and pass

Best Regards
Angel Uzunov

Alfa Romeo 166 2.4 JTD (GTB2256V, Extreme remaped, 1.7bar boost, straight exhaust system, Brembo 4pod brake system 330mm brake discs); Alfa Romeo 145 QV (Colombo&Bariani 272 cams, Extreme remaped, JR cone intake, 240cc Saab turbo injectors, Supersprint 4-2-1 manifold + cat back system, O.S.R.A.V. Sport Kit suspension)
AO Member

County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

Rosso/Tan GTV V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Uzunov View Post
Hi mate, no need to remap it again. the exhaust will better the flow of your engine, which cannot be checked or manipulate from the ECU remap. It is pure hardware replacement which does not need to remap the car again Just replace your exhaust and decat the car for sure. But be aware that with decat car the MoT mail fail!!! Do buy a racing cats to be sure that you are in all country regulations. In my country for example, eveything and everybody can be manipulated with money, so we dont need to buy the expensive race cats to pass our MoTs, we just pay and pass

Best Regards
Angel Uzunov
I thought a remap after other modifications would be able to take advantage of them as the engine would perform differently because of the changed conditions?
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
I think hes right, for example when I had my downpipes and remap from Gus, cat back and even decat would have been ok after, however If i change the front main manifolds it would benefit/ need a new Map, I maybe wrong.
AO Member

County: Western Australia
After having major mechanical mods done such as a full catback plus/ minus super HF cats, the car would greatly be afforded more of a pos gain from any professional remap...professional, as in not some plug and play, but someone with the actual hardware and software that could access the ECU and other aspects.

Personally I've not done this to any past Alfa "new model Alfa" to such a degree - as in mainly meddled with older models; yet I have done this to my previous GTR and just from a remap...ONLY a remap (albeit we are talking different cars here) there was a major net gain in HP. Just search around to see that.

With Alfas though - ALWAYS the awkward little beasts they are to mod; I am none too sure but I can say, that any professional remap will give you gains and you should have it remapped post major mod. Case in point, if you had new high lift cams + Headers/Manifolds + HF Cats and cat back...then yes, a remap would make a hell of a different, or it should at any rate.

Somebody, correct me on this if I am talking out my exhaust here with regards to the benefits of a Pro-remap here>>>!
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

A re-map would always be recommended.....by the companies offering the service. In truth if you de-cat it, it'll make little or no difference with a re-map, I wouldn't waste the money on it.

Get the cat replacements with the 'quick switch' brackets to swap the cat back in for the mot.
AO Member

County: Pazardjik
GTR is another beer mate It is turbo charged car and there the exhaust systems cost 3 times more than our cars (e.g. Akrapovic...). They are engineered superb! After replacing the standart GTR exhaust with Akrapovic one, YES a remap is needed, because the whole backpressure in the exhaust system is now differend than the stock one.The diameter of the pipes is bigger too, so the turbos need to be set for absolute new spool times etc. You can even increase slightly the boost because now the flow will be different, more acurate and easy!! But in our case, our college wants to replace the stock exhaust with a decat one in a NA car! The remap will cost more than the exhaust sytem probably, and in his case is not needed! In my race experience, for all my NA race cars we replace the standart exhaust with straight ones, and never do a remap just for this mod! In NA cars, the aftermarket exhaust will free some bhp, but if it is compelte from exhaust manifold to the back - Supersprint Ragazzon or some professionally made for rally purposes. The gain will be slight, the flow will be so much easier and the sound will be brutal. For a complete exhaust system you can go for remap, but you need to be sure that the exhaust system you buy cost twice the cost of the remap This automatically made the ebay ones not an option!

So briefly, our college want to decat his car!!! What remap!! Noo, noo, just do this in order to free the flow of the engine. You will feel the difference in first 50kms, then everything will be normal again, because the gain is really really minor!!! This is for NA cars. They are always been a hell of expensive to tune or race. It seems we are now in the Turbo Era, where things happened for less money and the results are magnificent.

Regards and don't spend money for nothing
AO Silver Member

County: East Sussex
When I had cf2 manifolds and equal pipes I went to get a remap on my GTA and found the ecu had adjusted itself to suite. The remap gained me 6bhp over the 19 the ecu had previously achieved. It has been mapped already I wouldn't expect a huge gain
AO Gold Member

County: Gauteng

Member car:

GTV 2.8 Turbo

I agree the ECU auto adjust for the changes so you do not need a new map.
But with the changes a good tuner could probably free up another hp or two now that the motor can get rid of all the old burnt gas.
Is it worth it?
That is your decision.
Will not remapping damage the car?
No it will not.
AO Member

County: Western Australia
Just had the Brera modified with a manifold from Orque as well as a fully remapped new computer and let me state this, the car is far more than a 6 Hp gain. All things bein equal in terms of what the car really is...a heavy underpowered GT cruiser, this brute now really bellows of the line. The only drawback is that with the auto-box, the gearbox limits how far the engine can climb in the rpm range before it prematurely changes gear jut off peak power, mainly in first and second of course.

Still mighty good fun though. Another benefit is better fuel efficiency but in all honesty, my foot gets the better of me each time and any fuel savings are straight out the window along with more bills to pay for the heavy foot!

Now, if we are debating the benefits of an induction kit, you'll find me on the bench of "I'll pass sir" unless I'm racing. Not likely in this beast.
AO Gold Member

County: Gauteng

Member car:

GTV 2.8 Turbo

Brilliant.
I gained 7kw on my old 3.0 GTV with the same changes so if you take the percentage gains you probably gained substantially more than 10hp.
What did the Dyno sheet show?
And remember your car did not have time to self adjust to the new system so you experienced all the gains in one go making it way more impressive.
I agree with the induction changes. If you really want to do something to the inlet side just get a replacement filter nothing more.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
hypothetically

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page