2.4 Cone filter - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 04-05-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

Alfa 156 jtd

2.4 Cone filter

OK, so I've cleaned out the throttle body, the hoses between the intercooler and the throttle body and the turbo and swapped the oem filter for a cone one. Oh and cleaned out and flushed the intercooler through too. I had an idea and just looked under the bonnet at half time during the Utd game...
Has anyone attached a cone filter and MAF / AFM directly to the turbo, thus cutting out the restrictive bends and even more restrictive rubber hose which looks like it has a built in reducer at the bend which bolts onto the turbo ? I think the rubber pipe in between the 'U' bend and the top of the air filter is the same size as the turbo inlet and if I remove the airbox I should be able to bolt the cone filter directly on the end of the MAF / AFM.
Yeah I know there'll be some heat soak, OK a lot of heat soak on a hot day in traffic, but surely I'll flow more air and I can point that snorkel thing directly at the cone and put something like a baking foil dish from Poundland to shield the filter. The worst that can happen is that I lose power and make noise, in which case I put it all back.
Anyone done this before and if so, any benefits ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Moravskoslezský
Garage
That's something I have on my TODO list. I'm planning to rotate the airbox by 90deg and push it a bit to the side (to place of SMIC), so the airbox hole will match the foglight hole. Only things I'm still not decided about are keeping/connecting Helmholtz resonator and engine venting line.
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 04-05-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 jtd

Good point on the engine venting line. I thought about trying it with just a breather filter for a day or two and if it is OK, then put a hole in the pipe to allow it to be sucked back into the turbo.
I'll update when I have done it/
(Post Link) post #4 of 9 Old 05-05-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 jtd

Fiddled around it again spending about half an hour removing the airbox and securing the filter with a couple of tie wraps to keep it from moving around too much in the engine bay. It definitely revs easier, but cannot say I've gained power, possibly lost a little bit if anything but it sounds a lot better. Would really like to miss out the 180 degree plastic pipe bend and connect it to the turbo directly. Will look at it agin tomorrow when I have more time.
AO Silver Member

County: Moravskoslezský
Garage
Yep, the engine sound changes noticeably either in case you just change air filter for some higher flow cotton one (novitec, K&N).
(Post Link) post #6 of 9 Old 06-05-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 jtd

Gone one more stage better. I had some old silicone piping with a 45 degree bend in it which just happened to have the right diameter to attach to the inlet pipe and then to match again directly onto the MAF housing. I had to cut the pipe back a bit to allow the air filter to fit in the gap ok, but managed to get it all completed in about an hour. If I can work out uploading images, I'll post one. Essentially now I have a small silicone pipe leading from the turbo inlet leading to the MAF housing and then a cone filter bolted onto directly to the MAF housing.
I'll construct a small shield to protect the filter from the warm air coming out of the back of the radiator and modify the air pipe which fed the airbox with cool air to direct better to filter. I'll also now need to ensure I get the undertray fitted as it was missing when I bought it. This will help protect the filter from water and help prevent hydrolock if I drive through a large pool of water. Thinking about it, I'll angle the filter upwards as much as possible, thus decreasing this risk.
I'll also need to buy a vent filter for the oil breather as I don't want it going through the turbo as it get so filthy and grimy and clogs up the inlet manifold and MAP sensor.
AO Member

County: -
So just replacing the stock filter with a 3rd party inbox also changes sound ??
I have a 2.4 diesel so any improvement welcome

Like this one

Engine Parts for Alfa Romeo 159
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
I have to do something like this as well. I currently have a front Mount InterCooler (FMIC) all fitted up and working well but I do still need fiddle with the intake. currently I have the standard turbo to top side U-Bend with the MAF attached to that, then a 90 degree silicone U Bend off that and into the wing. It was a bit of a rush job unfortunately as when removing the airbox to install the FMIC some of it cracked so had to install the open airfilter.

straight off the turbo and into the wing would be the ideal setup, only thing you may need is a reducer as the turbo inlet I think is 2 inches where the MAF is maybe 3 inches? so that and a bit of straight stainless pipe of the same diameter and some bracketry shoud do the job.
(Post Link) post #9 of 9 Old 13-05-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 jtd

I decided I needed more air to be channelled to the filter and noticed that to the right hand side of the radiator there is a plastic shield stopping air entering the engine bay. I cut out a piece of the this which then allowed air to be directly channelled from the front of the car to the front and side of the cone. I lenghted the distance of the piping from the MAF / AFM to the turbo inlet which also allowed the front of the cone to be positioned nearer to the front of the car and therefore more in line to the air coming into the front of the car.
This appears to make the car slightly more responsive and I should imagine more economical.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
cone , filter

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page