2.4 jtd throttle body - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 30-04-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

Alfa 156 jtd

2.4 jtd throttle body

Decided to clean out the intercooler and associated hoses as had good results on my previous car, a Volvo V70 T5. I removed the top hose from the intercooler and the bottom hose which goes to the outlet on the turbo. Then I used some rag to block the bottom of the intercooler and simply poured Mr Muscle into it until it filled it. I then left it for a few moments, drained it and then cleared it through with hot water until it ran clear.
I then refitted the hoses and started the car until a let it tickover until I was sure most of the water was out of the intercooler.
I then removed the hose again from the top of the intercooler and to the 'throttle body' part of the inlet manifold. It was absolutely filthy and clogged with oil from the breather and other muck. I decided to clear it out and noticed a flap in there. Judging by the angle the air enters the manifold and has to pass over the flap, it seemed more of a hindrance, so I temporarily removed it and cleaned it out. Whilst it was apart, I used a flap wheel to smooth the sides of the piping and cleaned out the egr.
I also noticed that someone had blocked off the egr which I decided to leave.
Once put back together it ran a lot smoother, but I still get the engine light on around 3,500 - 4,000 rpm. MAF changed since, VNT module stripped & reassembled and also the pipes to the VNT changed to silicone . May yet change them to rubber as I think the silicone is not rigid enough.
Unsure when to fit the butterfly flap back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

The light is coming on cos the EGR is blanked off-you need to have the ECU tweeked or unblock the ER to stop it.
AO Silver Member

County: -
Well that depends, if his engine is 20V then yes, if it is "older" 10V unit then no. If you blank EGR light comes on only in 20V engine... on 10V you only get an error if you connect to ECU with computer and look up the errors list, but the light stays off...
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Ah, right.
AO Silver Member

County: Galway
im thinking of giving the inside a bit of a clean aswell cause of the warm weather lately so im in the mood to be outside for a while. When you did the mister muscle trick and then flushed it out, did you leave the top turbo hose unplugged from the throttle body? and then just let all the water seep out? or was it connected? did you find removing the throttle body difficult or is it quite easy to do?
With regards to blanking the egr, are there any gains to this? ive heard also that doing this could cause turbo failure in the future. ive had a new turbo fitted in january and i dont want to have to do it again
(Post Link) post #6 of 10 Old 02-05-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 jtd

I left the top hose unplugged and simply sprayed Mr Muscle in liberally with the bottom hose of too. I did it so long my hand ached and so rested before continuing. I didn't get to finish the bottle though and simply left it for about 5 mins trickling out of the bottom before flushing.
Removing the throttle body was not difficult, just fiddly and time consuming. The fiddly bits are using different sized allen keys to access the bolts on the throttle body. If I was to do it again, I would either get new gaskets as I used the old ones again with a red gasket in a tube (I forget the make) OR I would get rid of the angled intake and fashion a straight one, but didn't think it through. Still on the cards though !
Unsure about blanking the egr, I noticed it was on when I tried to take the egr apart in order to clean it. I simply replaced it as it was and used gasket sealant to ensure an airtight fit. No idea re: turbo failure though.
AO Silver Member

County: Galway
sounds simple enough. thanks. Did you notice straight away the car was more responsive or was it just sounding healthy? I replaced the MAF yesterday (was absolutely clogged with dust and other gunk) only replaced the sensor though as the the bolts holding it are too rusted to be able to turn. car feels much better now but i feel my EGR is failing again as theres no power until 2800rpms :-(
(Post Link) post #8 of 10 Old 04-05-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 jtd

A little better. Not as good as ripping out the roll old filter which appeared to double as an insect collector and replacing it a cone filter from ebay.
(Post Link) post #9 of 10 Old 04-05-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 jtd

Thinking about it, the best improvement I noticed was from cleaning the gunk out of the throttle body temporarily removing the butterfly !
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttelracs1 View Post
A little better. Not as good as ripping out the roll old filter which appeared to double as an insect collector and replacing it a cone filter from ebay.
Actually no, if youve got a 2.4, then a drop in K&N or similar replacement is a far better bet-much more surface area than any aftermarket product as its HUGE.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
body , jtd , throttle

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page