Brera Suspension Options - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 27 Old 11-04-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Lancashire

Member car:

Brera 2.4 JTDM

Help Brera Suspension Options

Had the car for nearly a year now and still really love it....but! I really need to sort out the handling, front seems to grip well enough but the back end seems to all over the place if I hit a bump or pothole. I have been watching the threads for a while and there seems to be plenty of options out there, but which one? I will only be using it for road work with the occasional track day so don't want to loose too much comfort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1405
County: West Yorkshire
Koni adjustable sports dampers with Eibach lowering springs have transformed the handling of my car for a very reasonable price.
(Post Link) post #3 of 27 Old 11-04-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Lancashire

Member car:

Brera 2.4 JTDM

Cheers Clogz, you're still happy with them then? I need to give Gus a ring

County: Surrey

Member car:

Brera

Wonderd, has anyone fitted better anti-roll bars to the 2.4 Brera? I'm no expert and not sure I understand all the physics and dynamics at play but does this make the cornering experience a little less likely to make one sea sick? I noticed that kits are readily available. I have a 2007 and I know Alfa themselves made adjustments in 2008. Anyone any experience or better knowledge?
AO Silver Member

Well the Alfa anti roll bars are supposed to transform the ride on the 946 Spider, which suffers from scuttle shake and roll. Not sure how much it will fix the roll on a diesel Brera though? The Brera and 159 already have legendary body rigidity. Probably more effect changing the suspension?

What I can tell you is that Eibach springs reduce pitching and rolling quite a bit - certainly you'd feel the difference. Little loss of comfort. I've kept the stock springs on mine.

Member car:

Brera

Thank you. It appears we have the same car. Same colour at least. I think I'm going to leave it the way it was the day it left the factory then. Have had the DFU removed and remapped to great effect and whilst I'd like it to be a bit more pointy perhaps I'll hold fire until someone lets me know they've got great results from some sort of conversion.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Since the original springs & dampers are rubbish for the 2.4 I'd recommend replacing these both at the same time. I've had Koni adjustable sports dampers with Eibach springs fitted which have totally eliminated the ridiculous Brera body roll&pitch feature...
Totally transformed the handling and the car grips well.

Member car:

Brera

Oh! great thanks for that - getting a quote from Alfa Aid. Thank you.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenBlueBrera View Post
Thank you. It appears we have the same car. Same colour at least. I think I'm going to leave it the way it was the day it left the factory then. Have had the DFU removed and remapped to great effect and whilst I'd like it to be a bit more pointy perhaps I'll hold fire until someone lets me know they've got great results from some sort of conversion.
Yep lovely colour. Mine is actually a petrol 2.2 so the weight is lower, ride is slightly lower and dynamics different. For this model I've found that Eibach springs on stock dampers alone do the job very nicely, but as pointed out above maybe you should get the dampers done at the same time. You don't have to get fully adjustable dampers though (they are much more expensive). I'm sure Koni non-adjustables would be good enough. Adjustables allow you to play around with settings for different roads,

Has anyone changed only the springs on the diesel? Is that not a good recipe on a 2.4?

Brat Pack no.8
Club Member
Membro Medio

The standard springs & dampers on the 2.4 are rubbish compared to what I now drive. AR updated these on the 'S' cars but for some reason left the 2.4 as is. Leaving the original dampers will not improve the damping. On my Koni's I can adjust the damping on the front and it does make a noticeable difference. The Koni adjustable sports dampers are quite reasonable and if you're replacing the springs you may as well sort it out properly... I had mine done at Alfatune after Gus' recommendation and never looked back...

AO Member

County: Northants
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderfish View Post
Has anyone changed only the springs on the diesel? Is that not a good recipe on a 2.4?
I am doing this tomorrow - going for the Pro Kit with the stock dampers. I can't justify the £500 extra, however it will be interesting to see what the difference it makes.
AO Silver Member

Cool, will be interesting to see what happens on a 2.4...
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcot View Post
I am doing this tomorrow - going for the Pro Kit with the stock dampers. I can't justify the £500 extra, however it will be interesting to see what the difference it makes.
Are doing the job yourself?
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepen View Post
Are doing the job yourself?
No - got a very good tame mechanic friend on it It's been put back a few weeks due to the amount of time actually required to do the work. Didn't realise it was such a long job! We did the springs on my Grande Punto, it took less than an hour, this is going to be almost a full day, even with full garage tools. I'll update when it is finally done, I'm not looking for miracles, just something to rid a little of the pitch/roll without compromising the ride comfort or breaking the bank.

2018 Stelvio 2.2D Speciale
Previous: 2007 Brera 2.4 JTDm 210 SV, 1998 GTV Ph1 2.0 TS Lusso
AO Member

County: Devon
My local garage did a damper (and hence spring) change in 3 hours, and they had never worked on a 159 before.
Club Member
Membro Medio

My springs and dampers were changed in about 4 hours.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogz View Post
My springs and dampers were changed in about 4 hours.
Yep - which is why it needs a full day at it, just in case. We tried to do it on a Saturday afternoon after the garage he works at closed. Reckon around 3-4hrs of work. We also need to do the front brakes which will add a little time to it. Will report back when it's done
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Yep - which is why it needs a full day at it, just in case. We tried to do it on a Saturday afternoon after the garage he works at closed. Reckon around 3-4hrs of work. We also need to do the front brakes which will add a little time to it. Will report back when it's done
Just bumping this as i'm doing mine tomorrow.

Anyone done this themselves? i.e. not a garage

Is 4 hrs still ok on drive with a trolley jack?
AO Silver Member

All Done !

Must say it was easier than I thought. Followed the instructions on here from previous posters. All four took about 5 hours all in.

Just had a quick test drive and OMG what a difference £180 worth of kit can make! Besides the look of the car which now just looks perfect it drives so much better, no squatting under braking, flat cornering etc.

For such a simple change why didn't they make them like that from the start?
AO Platinum Member

Seeing as quite a few of you guys are all local maybe there is an opportunity to get together and see what the difference is with various setups?

Maybe at the next Northern Italian Car Night at the end of the month?

Having just got mine I haven't really had opportunity to explore the limits of traction but I have to say it sticks to the road far better than my GTA did on Coilovers with Eibach ARBs, the Brera's cornering grip is phenomenal and I can't say mine rolls or pitches that much either but then, maybe I'm not pushing it hard enough.

Sean

Nero Fuoco 147 Lusso - Bianco Nuvola 147 GTA - Carbonio Brera SV - Azzurro Le Mans GT 1600 Junior
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Seeing as quite a few of you guys are all local maybe there is an opportunity to get together and see what the difference is with various setups?

Maybe at the next Northern Italian Car Night at the end of the month?

Having just got mine I haven't really had opportunity to explore the limits of traction but I have to say it sticks to the road far better than my GTA did on Coilovers with Eibach ARBs, the Brera's cornering grip is phenomenal and I can't say mine rolls or pitches that much either but then, maybe I'm not pushing it hard enough.

Sean
Mine is sadly still on stock springs

The car does have a lot of grip, but when you really push on you can really feel the weight of the car (maybe less so with the S2 2.2)
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Mine is sadly still on stock springs

The car does have a lot of grip, but when you really push on you can really feel the weight of the car (maybe less so with the S2 2.2)
So is mine, it was the GTA on coilovers, everything is standard on this car
AO Silver Member

The body roll was ok on the stock springs. The Eibachs stop the front end diving under braking and nose raising under acceleration. Also on the twistes the normal lurching due to the weight is vastly reduced. And not to forget that 25mm drop just finishes off the looks perfectly

Went out on the motorway yesterday too and thats just as quiet and smooth as the stock springs. Got to be one of best mods for the Brera.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Mmmhhhh, I'm not sure if you had different stock springs on your Brera but the bodyroll on mine was just ridiculous - the car moved like a bouncy castle!

I'd say the stock spring & dampers on the standard 2.4jtdm Brera are simply not good enough. Why Alfa got prodrive to only fix the suspension for the petrol BreraS versions...

I replaced my stock springs & dampers for Eibach springs and Koni adjustable sports dampers and the car now grips like a dream and has virtually zero bodyroll without feeling too stiff.

Anyway, rant over....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepen View Post
The body roll was ok on the stock springs. The Eibachs stop the front end diving under braking and nose raising under acceleration. Also on the twistes the normal lurching due to the weight is vastly reduced. And not to forget that 25mm drop just finishes off the looks perfectly

Went out on the motorway yesterday too and thats just as quiet and smooth as the stock springs. Got to be one of best mods for the Brera.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogz View Post

I'd say the stock spring & dampers on the standard 2.4jtdm Brera are simply not good enough. Why Alfa got prodrive to only fix the suspension for the petrol BreraS versions...
Same here! For me a 2.4S would be my ultimate Brera

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
brera , options , suspension

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page