Lowering an Alfa GT (slightly!) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

 
Thread Tools
Old 15-06-09 Thread Starter
Status: Still wrapped up in the V6...
AO Silver Member
 
James Junior's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cheshire
Posts: 1,001
Lowering an Alfa GT (slightly!)

My car wears 18" wheels which look great, but on the standard suspension set up the car rides too high on them and doesn't look quite right. If the car just sat a little lower then the wheels would fill the arches perfectly.

I am curious about whether a 20mm drop might cure this but am concerned about messing with the suspension as currently the car handles brilliantly and doesn't even feel that unsettled despite the large wheels. Also one of my previous cars of years gone by was lowered on Tein coilovers and handled terribley.

Have any GT owners with bigger wheels gone for a drop? What was the result?

My mantra has always been that a £200 set of springs off Ebay are unlikely to improve on hundreds of hours of development time at the hands of qualified development engineers.

The ride height is bugging me though.

Any thoughts or experience people?

Last edited by James Junior; 15-06-09 at 21:38.
James Junior is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 15-06-09
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
typos1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Dorset
Posts: 3,779

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Go for 30mm Eibachs-they ll improve the ride, handling and looks
typos1 is offline  
Old 15-06-09
Status: bought a 75 3.0
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09
 
shiny_car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Australia
County: Victoria
Posts: 7,713

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

+1 for Eibach.

shiny_car is offline  
Old 16-06-09
Status: bye bye GTA
AO Member
 
itsNotskywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Zealand
County: -
Posts: 745
+2 eibach
itsNotskywalker is offline  
Old 16-06-09
Status: To GTB or not to GTB?
AO Silver Member
 
TribesMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Slovenia
County: -
Posts: 2,289
+3
TribesMan is offline  
Old 16-06-09 Thread Starter
Status: Still wrapped up in the V6...
AO Silver Member
 
James Junior's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cheshire
Posts: 1,001
Had a chat with Nigel at Angel Tuning earlier who reckons just the Eibachs should make a big difference to handling without the need for better damping. Reckoned the ride wouldn't be too affected either.

Will look into this I think! Thanks guys.
James Junior is offline  
Old 16-06-09
Smallville
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
+4 for Eibach
 
Old 16-06-09
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Derbyshire
Posts: 8
Would you all give the same advice for lowering a 3.2 V6 GT ?
As I understand it the 3.2 V6 already sits slightly lower than other GTs.
Do Eibach make a specific kit for the 3.2 V6 GT ?
JayJayGT is offline  
Old 16-06-09
Smallville
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I think they are all the same but dont quote me on it
 
Old 16-06-09
Status: Saving for engine.
AO Silver Member
 
tomfromtelford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Shropshire
Posts: 4,241
they will have different spring weights due to engine weights etc...
tomfromtelford is offline  
Old 16-06-09
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Derbyshire
Posts: 8
Exactly tomfromtelford and therefore if they produce one kit for all GTs then this may be good for some engine types but may not be good for others. 3.2 V6s are definately lower than other GTs to start with, so has anyone had any experience of lowering a 3.2 V6 GT ?
JayJayGT is offline  
Old 16-06-09
Status: -
AO Member
 
Alfa Sprint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: France, Metropolitan
County: Hauts de Seine
Posts: 156

Member car:

ALFA 156 BENZINA

Thumbs Up

The best you can do is install an Eibach Pro-Kit . Lower -25 mm for the GT


Alfa Sprint is offline  
Old 17-06-09
Status: Waiting for Stelvio QV
AO Platinum Member
 
OperationAlfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Essex
Posts: 23,452
+6 for the Eibach pro kit. I have your wheels on my 147 (basically same car).

I had to lower it as it looked like a monster truck.
OperationAlfa is offline  
Old 17-06-09
Status: bought a 75 3.0
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09
 
shiny_car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Australia
County: Victoria
Posts: 7,713

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayGT View Post
Would you all give the same advice for lowering a 3.2 V6 GT ?
As I understand it the 3.2 V6 already sits slightly lower than other GTs.
Do Eibach make a specific kit for the 3.2 V6 GT ?
there is an Eibach Pro Kit for the 3.2L. however, the front does not lower significantly. as above, it is because the V6 is already relatively low compared with other models.

however, i wasn't satisfied with this lack of drop at the front, of only about 2mm when i did before/after measurements. even allowing for some sag over time, it would only have ended up about 7mm, i'm sure. rear did drop nicely, by about 30mm.

i had my setup modified. my local KONI distributor (i'm in Oz) modified the damper-suspension fork join. this allowed the damper to 'fit in further' into the fork, resulting in lowering the car, without altering the Eibach spring. overall, i have about a 17mm drop from the original.

this confirms the V6 is already low, because the undertray can scrape the road if i go over a decent dip. doesn't bother me; i drive with this in mind. in general, not an issue cos it rarely happens.

i don't think there's a better set of springs. but if you want the front lower, be prepared to modify things.

*modified damper-fork join:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/.../302919615.jpg

*unmodified, Eibach fitted:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/.../189968067.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/.../242548863.jpg

*more recent, after modifying damper-fork, and time for sag, totalling in ~17mm front drop:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/.../317356862.jpg


GT . 3.2 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red . Eibach . KONI . ASSO . ATP 19" . TAROX . FERODO . Mille Miglia exhaust
155 . 2.0 8V TS . Grigio Grey - Grey . H&R coilover . Enkei 17" . TAROX . GOODRIDGE . REMUS
75 . 3.0 . Alfa Red - Grey
shiny_car is offline  
Old 10-08-09
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Africa
County: Western Cape
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Junior View Post
Had a chat with Nigel at Angel Tuning earlier who reckons just the Eibachs should make a big difference to handling without the need for better damping. Reckoned the ride wouldn't be too affected either.

Will look into this I think! Thanks guys.
James, did you do the eibach 30mm spring? i am curious to know if your ride quality has changed? i am also worried that i will lose ride quality and harshen the ride of my GT Jtdm
ryan1sss is offline  
Old 11-08-09 Thread Starter
Status: Still wrapped up in the V6...
AO Silver Member
 
James Junior's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cheshire
Posts: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan1sss View Post
James, did you do the eibach 30mm spring? i am curious to know if your ride quality has changed? i am also worried that i will lose ride quality and harshen the ride of my GT Jtdm
Hi buddy,

Sorry for late response!

Not done the lowering thing yet - reversed my car into a concrete post and the repair bill kind of put my mod shopping list on hold!

I definitely want to lower the car but having read a lot on the subject I will not do so until i can afford the Eibach springs and the Koni FSD suspension. Judging by how crap the standard dampers are on my car and in light of common experience on the forum, there is no way I am fitting shorter stiffer springs without sorting out the damping at the same time!

I have some other things I want to do first, namely brakes and power, so it will probably be some time before I can sort my suspension out.

Let me know how you get on though if you fit the Eibachs - would be very interested to hear your feedback.

JJ
James Junior is offline  
Old 12-08-09
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Africa
County: Western Cape
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Junior View Post
Hi buddy,

Sorry for late response!

Not done the lowering thing yet - reversed my car into a concrete post and the repair bill kind of put my mod shopping list on hold!

I definitely want to lower the car but having read a lot on the subject I will not do so until i can afford the Eibach springs and the Koni FSD suspension. Judging by how crap the standard dampers are on my car and in light of common experience on the forum, there is no way I am fitting shorter stiffer springs without sorting out the damping at the same time!

I have some other things I want to do first, namely brakes and power, so it will probably be some time before I can sort my suspension out.

Let me know how you get on though if you fit the Eibachs - would be very interested to hear your feedback.

JJ
Hi James

I fitted the eibach 30mm spring kit on my alfa 147 the ride is now very firm with no body roll. I mut admit that i lost allot of comfort. now i am scared to do this with my GT!
ryan1sss is offline  
Old 12-08-09
Smallville
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan1sss View Post
Hi James

I fitted the eibach 30mm spring kit on my alfa 147 the ride is now very firm with no body roll. I mut admit that i lost allot of comfort. now i am scared to do this with my GT!
Hey fella, I fitted Eibach 30mm springs and Bilstein B8 Sprint shocks and its fantastic, looks great as well

Plus its even less bodyroll than just the springs
 
Old 12-08-09
Status: http://youtu.be/9fF_ WX_AOYg
AO Silver Member
 
RossoGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hertfordshire
Posts: 1,124

Member car:

Ex GT 3.2 V6

Im considering lowering my GT very soon aswell. But I wont be buying eibachs they just dont sit lower enuff for me. Has anyone bought H&R Springs or Novitec?
RossoGT is offline  
Old 13-08-09 Thread Starter
Status: Still wrapped up in the V6...
AO Silver Member
 
James Junior's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cheshire
Posts: 1,001
Thanks for your feedback guys, any chance of some pics before and after?!
James Junior is offline  
Old 13-08-09
Smallville
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Junior View Post
Thanks for your feedback guys, any chance of some pics before and after?!
I got some piccies with the springs and shocks fitted on my 147 if you wanted to see?
 
Old 13-08-09 Thread Starter
Status: Still wrapped up in the V6...
AO Silver Member
 
James Junior's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cheshire
Posts: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville View Post
I got some piccies with the springs and shocks fitted on my 147 if you wanted to see?
Always interested in pics of other members cars. Let the pic whoring commence!!!
James Junior is offline  
Old 13-08-09
Smallville
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Here ya go mate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01038.jpg (183.4 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01039.jpg (145.4 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01040.jpg (165.4 KB, 47 views)
 
Old 13-08-09
Status: Saving for engine.
AO Silver Member
 
tomfromtelford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Shropshire
Posts: 4,241
Fella looking sweet with new wheels
tomfromtelford is offline  
Old 13-08-09
Smallville
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfromtelford View Post
Fella looking sweet with new wheels
Cheers fella
 
 

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
alfa , lowering , slightly
Thread Tools



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome