Autodelta LSD - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 27 Old 07-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

147 GTA

Idea Autodelta LSD

Hi Guys,

My first post so bare with me on this one!

Just bought a 147 GTA off Jano at Autodelta. Can't tell you how happy I am with the car. I work for an Alfa Romeo dealership and thus have driven lots of GTA's but this thing is in another league!!

The car has had the LSD fitted, with the autodelta adjustable coilovers, engine remap, carbon induuction kit, cross drilled 330mm front discs ( with the braided hoses and AD pads ) 4 exit exhaust, AD super AM front bumper and black 18" multispoke off a GT.

My question is, the diff groans at low speeds round corners, is this normal or is it doing any damage? Jano and a few of the techs at work ensure me that this is perfectly normal, due to the fact the car was originally going to be run with the supercharger conversion, so the diff is set quite "tight". It doesn't really bother me, just want to make sure no damage is being done! Can anyone shed any light on this one?

The second thing was what kind of maintanence needs to be carried out on these AD diffs?

Many thanks for all your help on this one guys and girls

Luke

P.S

Here she is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 147gta.jpg (48.3 KB, 144 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: North Yorkshire
Nice GTA. I cant really help you with your diff queries cos mine is a Q2 diff. Im really not sure about the AD diffs, if the noise is normal or not.

Jano's probs the best person to ask about maintaining the diff. Maybe some different oil could cure the grinding (I was just having a stab in the dark there.)

Is that your exact car in the picture Luke? Cos the one in the picture looks supercharged to me.

They dont fit that front bumper and extra rad and piping for nowt.
(Post Link) post #3 of 27 Old 07-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 GTA

Thanks for the reply bacon

Yeah it is the exact car in the picture and your right about the supercharger...belive it or not I had Jano take it off before I bought the car ( Insurance and drivability worries...I'm only 23 ).

The ironic thing now is that I'm really interested in the 3.7 conversion...hindsight and all that.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

VW

Jano took me out in a GTA with the Quaife diff that you had - it didn't make any noises when I was in it, however he told me it was on the "softest" setting. Apparently they are adjustable, so if your finding it quite harsh, it can be changed (edit, not your GTA, another one)

But that is, IMO, a perfect spec. Suspension, exhaust, brakes and LSD...everything required. Congrats on the purchase! Although I'm not keen on the front bumper, I prefer the standard.

Although, if I could be really really cheeky...what did it cost you?

--
Matt
(Post Link) post #5 of 27 Old 07-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 GTA

Thanks for the response Matty

I'm a car salesman so talking figures certainly isn't cheeky! Its a one owner 04 plate with 17900 on the clock when I bought it. Came with all the bits, a brand new set of 4 Dunlop sportmaxx tyres and the JVC sat nav head unit. Jano also did the belts, taxed it for 6 months and MOT'd it for me. I paid £13500 and cannot tell you how much I love it! I could see me keeping this one for a very long time!

I just can't get over how stable and well behaved this thing is! At times it almost feels as if its four wheel drive, amazing!

Luke
AO Platinum Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

if its adjustable its not a quaife diff as they are a torque biasing dif. its a plate type thats in there if its adjusted tight and I would suspect that the noise is fine however they do require maintenance though
AO Member

County: Luxembourg
In a front wheel drive LSD, the drive shafts need to be shortened as the shafts cant pass through the center section of the diff. Under cornering the driveshafts push into the center of the diff. Due to the middle cross section of LSD diff(The spider and pinion gear block the middle see the attached picture), the Q2 doesnt have this problem nor does the Quaife as they dont block the center.

Sorry to hear but I think you will need to get it pulled out, before it does any damage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg TRACLOCK.jpg.jpeg (26.5 KB, 52 views)
GT.Tom

That's weird. I've got the same groaning (and I've got a Q2).............I'm beginning to think its these LSDs..........hmmmm

AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr75 View Post
In a front wheel drive LSD, the drive shafts need to be shortened as the shafts cant pass through the center section of the diff. Under cornering the driveshafts push into the center of the diff. Due to the middle cross section of LSD diff(The spider and pinion gear block the middle see the attached picture), the Q2 doesnt have this problem nor does the Quaife as they dont block the center.

Sorry to hear but I think you will need to get it pulled out, before it does any damage.
And standard open diff don't have pinion shaft and spider gears? Where you get that false info? You don't need to shorten the drive shafts. Quife and Q2 diffs are strait swap.
147GTArrrrgh:
If your diff is a plate type and have higher locking percentage the grinding noise is normal. You just need to remember that after some milage plate LSD needs rebuilding.
Jan
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

Howdy, I have tried various settings of the Autodelta clutch type LSD in my supercharged GTA car over several years, as well as the Q2 diff for a year.

Sure, it does make a slight groan when a lot of lock is on at very low speed.
Its 100% perfectly normal! All clutch type diffs in a FWD car typically do this.

You can largely eliminate the noise by adding Redline friction modifier to the gearbox oil, 1 of the smallest bottles is plenty. You wont really hear the noise at all then.
However the diff theoretically has its optimal performance when there is a slight groan, the friction modifier does very slightly make the plates have a teeny bit less friction.
Thats the theory, but I couldn't really detect any reduction in diff performance myself.

BTW these difffs have way way less torque steer than the Q2 once you dont "jump" on the throttle , and also put the power down with much less drama. On track I reckon the AD diff would be worth over a second to the good as compared to the Q2 since it controls inside wheelspin so much more convincingly. There probably would be a smaller difference with a standard GTA, but the Q2 gets increasingly unruly and ineffective as the car becomes more powerful or torquey.
The Q2 or quaife are better at hairpins though with standard GTA power levels.

You dont really adjust the diff per-se regulary to change the locking % and preload, that would be very expnsive to do..
I'm not sure how long before it would need maintenance, but certainly at least a couple of years. I would guess at three years for road use.

Yes, you do need a higher locking effect, or tighter diff as you say, with a supercharger due to the huge increase in torque. A more aggressive diff setting does impact the level of "groan". As the power of my own car increased the diff was adjusted correspondingly.

The plus point is that your car is really well setup for track days now..
..and in the wet you would run rings around with anybody with a Q2, or quaife diff.

Enjoy your car, it sounds like a cracker.

Regards,
TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 147GTArrrrgh View Post
Hi Guys,

My first post so bare with me on this one!

Just bought a 147 GTA off Jano at Autodelta. Can't tell you how happy I am with the car. I work for an Alfa Romeo dealership and thus have driven lots of GTA's but this thing is in another league!!

The car has had the LSD fitted, with the autodelta adjustable coilovers, engine remap, carbon induuction kit, cross drilled 330mm front discs ( with the braided hoses and AD pads ) 4 exit exhaust, AD super AM front bumper and black 18" multispoke off a GT.

My question is, the diff groans at low speeds round corners, is this normal or is it doing any damage? Jano and a few of the techs at work ensure me that this is perfectly normal, due to the fact the car was originally going to be run with the supercharger conversion, so the diff is set quite "tight". It doesn't really bother me, just want to make sure no damage is being done! Can anyone shed any light on this one?

The second thing was what kind of maintanence needs to be carried out on these AD diffs?

Many thanks for all your help on this one guys and girls

Luke

P.S

Here she is

I'm not a doctor - but I really do recommend braking later
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

For what its worth my Q2 was completely silent, before I swopped it out.
I dont believe they are supposed to make any noise for parking etc, the wheels still have full grip and can turn freely..

Maybe you are hearing the power steering pump at full lock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT.Tom View Post
That's weird. I've got the same groaning (and I've got a Q2).............I'm beginning to think its these LSDs..........hmmmm
(Post Link) post #12 of 27 Old 08-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 GTA

Can't thank you enough guys for all the help! Sppoke to Jano today and he confirmed everything that has been mentioned in this thread so my mind is now at ease...time to go and enjoy it now!

By the by, does anyone on here run a 147 with just the 3.7 conversion?

Cheers

Luke
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

I have prior experience of a 3.7 N/A 330bhp version with larger throttle bodies.

Its superior from a purists viewpoint to the supercharger, it si also easier to control since there is much less torque ..and sounds a lot better. The 330bhp version is much more expensive than the supercharger though.
However I suspect it will be less maintenance and easier on the drive train.
AO Member

Member car:

156 GTA SW

I've had the AD LSD for 70K/3 years now - according to Jano, it is at a softer setting for street-use. Apart from some whining in the very beginning, it has been quiet. Early on I would do figure 8s in the parking lot and that seems to have helped with the noise. I don't track the car, and power is standard.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Congrats on your purchase, looks like you got a bargain really, I prefer the original bumper though.
AO Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

ex 147 GTA

looking GTA ... I have been thinking of getting my wheels coated black but have had to make do with photoshops to see what it looks like. Seeing them on yours has convinced me to get them done!!

Although sorry to put a damper on things but I am not very keen on the Autodelta body kits.

Still a cracking looking car though!!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 147GTArrrrgh View Post
By the by, does anyone on here run a 147 with just the 3.7 conversion?

Cheers

Luke
I only know of myself and one other person. Its all good, just massively expensive.
Damien_C

Looks great. Most aftermarket diffs make a nice clunking knocking noise when on lock.

AO Member

County: Herefordshire
The noise makes it sound like a plate type diff. If it only makes the noise at or near full lock, it's working normally.

County: Cambridgeshire

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT.Tom View Post
Hi, I have a GT 3.2 with Q2 and lowered suspension. (Koni FSDs and Eibachs). I get the groan on left/right lock after the car has warmed up and cannot find a solution. Tried changing aux belt and tensioner/idlers, but no difference. Did you find a solution please?
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

That's the sound of the PAS pump, they do groan when you hit full lock. Well more of a whine.

County: Cambridgeshire

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2

I thought that this could be the issue, but the sound is really a load groan (enough to make a pedestrian turn their head) and not a whine. The PAS does make the usual hissing/slight whine. I put a post on this at https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...full-lock.html

Thanks, Graham
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

Well I suggested PAS pump due to you looking at the belts which would indicate the noise is coming from that area, if it's diff noise it will only do it while moving on full lock.
AO Member

County: Harjumaa (Tallinn)

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Is it like metallic groan? I get it too, and haven't figured it out yet Yeah, thats really loud and stands out. My neighbor ran out onto his balcony to see if i had hit his car
And its not the power steering bump. When i am standing still and turn lock to lock, i can here hissing sound and the pressure tick of the reservoir of the steering oil, jumps out. But its not the same noise that i get sometimes when i turn the wheel and want to drive.
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

Hence why I was confused at the OP mentioning looking at belts and tensioners etc is why I mentioned the pas pump.

Can't say I've heard any noise while on lock with a q2

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
autodelta , lsd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page