BMC CDA Installation on JTD..... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

1Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 123 Old 01-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Wiltshire
BMC CDA Installation on JTD.....

I've got myself a BMC CDA and I just wondered how people have fitted them? I was thinking of fitting horizontally rather than vertically as then the filter box is in line with the turbo, a short hose, MAF, short hose then Turbo?!

I don't even know if it would fit horizontally or whether having the AFM that close to the turbo would cause any sort of turbulance?! I was just thinking it'll make the air intake shorter and improve the induction route.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

kgb
AO Silver Member

County: -
In order to fit it properly horizontally you will need to get rid of the SMIC and fit a FMIC....otherwise it will be a very narrow fit.
AO Silver Member

County: Cork

Member car:

BMW E92 320D

I tried to install one yesterday (on the JTS). Found it impossible to fit. If keeping the original intake from MAF to throttle body, using the silicon adaptor, there just isnt enough room to fit it vertically (35mm drop). Any extra ducting to take the air supply away from facing down onto the road would mean the pipe would be touching the road!!

Going to need to either get some silicon hosing made up to change the elbow and shorten everything and simply sell the CDA on.

Not sure if ppl will follow that....
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1004
County: Noord Brabant
I also have the BMC CDA 85-150 and was looking how to fit it on my 147 1.9 JTD. Vertically is not an option because of lack of ground clearance.

As I can see it now, the only option is to place the CDA with a 45 degrees bend downwards at the MAF. And possibly the standard turbo hose is too long and must be replaced with a shorter one, bringing the MAF more towards the center.

Does anybody know the size of the MAF connection diameter?
Club Member
Membro Medio

I also have the BMC CDA 85-150 and was looking how to fit it on my 147 1.9 JTD. Vertically is not an option because of lack of ground clearance.

As I can see it now, the only option is to place the CDA with a 45 degrees bend downwards at the MAF. And possibly the standard turbo hose is too long and must be replaced with a shorter one, bringing the MAF more towards the center.

Does anybody know the size of the MAF connection diameter?
(Post Link) post #6 of 123 Old 17-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

I took mine off yesterday and it appeared to be around 86mm. That's not to say yours will be the same though as it's a different engine.

Anyone got any photo's of how their BMC CDA is fitted to their JTD?!

Cheers,

Mark
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_JTD View Post
I took mine off yesterday and it appeared to be around 86mm. That's not to say yours will be the same though as it's a different engine.

Anyone got any photo's of how their BMC CDA is fitted to their JTD?!

Cheers,

Mark
I think on a 1.9 it is around 60mm. I guess I have to take it out of the car to know exactly.
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Look on eper, theres an exploded drawing with sizes on I think

:: Fiat/Lancia/Alfa Romeo :: Online ePer ::
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Originally Posted by typos1 View Post
Look on eper, theres an exploded drawing with sizes on I think

:: Fiat/Lancia/Alfa Romeo :: Online ePer ::
Sizes on Eper? I don't think so.
More chance at the bosch site, but then I need the bosch nr...
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Have you actually looked on eper? I ve got sizes from there before
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Have you actually looked on eper? I ve got sizes from there before
Yes, I looked there. There are exploded views but no dimensions as far as I can see.

Seems logical to me, why would they?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Why wouldnt they?

Well I got dimensions for the intake tubing on my engine, sure it gave the diameters for MAPs and MAFs too.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Why wouldnt they?

Well I got dimensions for the intake tubing on my engine, sure it gave the diameters for MAPs and MAFs too.
Can you tell me where?

This is all I found:

http://62.195.105.49:7080/navi?MOD_C...OD=2&DRW_NUM=2
(Post Link) post #14 of 123 Old 20-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Unfortunately I've never seen any measurements on eper. I've seen occasional weights, but no dimensions unless a newer version contains that sort of information possibly?!

Cheers,

Mark
AO Silver Member

Which CDA would you buy for JTD 16V?

70-130 or 85-150

BMC suggests 130, but it looks so small :> Would be there any benefits using 150?

Also I notices BMC DIA, which looks almost identical to CDA only it is made from plastic instead of carbon, and a lot cheaper... what do you think?

Quote:
The operation philosophy of BMC top range product, the Carbon Dynamic Airbox (CDA), is utilised in the DIA using less exotic material and therefore being more economical. This has enabled the production of a system that still gives more performance than a normal shielded cone filter but is available at a very interesting price.
The DIA consists of a plastic airbox containing an air flow deflector and a reusable filter element. Also supplied in the universal kit there is a flexible tube to carry cool air to the Airbox inlet, a connecting tube for easier installation and two reducers that allow the in most common applications (70mm, 65mm, 60mm).
The DIA is recommended for engines having a displacement up to 1.6000 cc .
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribesMan View Post
Which CDA would you buy for JTD 16V?

70-130 or 85-150

BMC suggests 130, but it looks so small :> Would be there any benefits using 150?

Also I notices BMC DIA, which looks almost identical to CDA only it is made from plastic instead of carbon, and a lot cheaper... what do you think?
BMC suggests the 70-130 propably because of the available length in a JTD.

Personally I prefer the CDASP-08 model for a JTD because it has the large outer diameter (150mm) but with a 40mm shorter length. That gives you some more ground clearance and still provides more volume and flow than the 70-130 model.

So that's the one I have ordered now for my JTD.
AO Silver Member

I think the lenght is not a problem for me... because I want to install CDA where the intercooler is now, and replace the intercooler with FMIC. So 85-150 will be better in terms of performance?
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribesMan View Post
I think the lenght is not a problem for me... because I want to install CDA where the intercooler is now, and replace the intercooler with FMIC. So 85-150 will be better in terms of performance?
I also have a 147 JTD with a FMIC, but still the 85-150 will be quite close to the surface when you have it in the SMIC space. But some members have it this way (kgb and dusan) without problems I guess.

But because I want a nice intake trumpet on the box, a little less length is welcome.

For the performance, the less resistance is the better. Since the 85-150 is bigger than the 70-130, it will flow more.
AO Member

County: Serbia

Member car:

GT JTDm + Q2

I mounted BMC-CDA 80-150 without problems in combination with SMIC (factory original). Later I mounted FMIC. If I remove undertray I will make some pictures of my BMC-CDA configuration... Until then - don't worry - BMC-CDA 80-150 fit in 147 1.9 JTD 8v without problems in case of FMIC or SMIC. It is clear that old original air box must go out...
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS JTD View Post
Can you tell me where?

This is all I found:

http://62.195.105.49:7080/navi?MOD_C...OD=2&DRW_NUM=2
Thats exactly the pic I mean. Using the diameters of the jubilee clips you get the diameters of the MAP and MAF.

Those diameters are correct apart from number 8-according to the diamgram number 8 is 75.5 mm jubilee clip, but it ISNT its about 50mm (a full 33% less!) and so is the ducting it fits round. Which totally ***** me up-I checked before I ordered the parts to make my own induction kit and cos it said it was 75.5 I didnt order a reducer. So it ll be at least 3 days before one comes and I cant work for 3 days now cos car immobile. Cheers Alfa.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Thats exactly the pic I mean. Using the diameters of the jubilee clips you get the diameters of the MAP and MAF.

Those diameters are correct apart from number 8-according to the diamgram number 8 is 75.5 mm jubilee clip, but it ISNT its about 50mm (a full 33% less!) and so is the ducting it fits round. Which totally ***** me up-I checked before I ordered the parts to make my own induction kit and cos it said it was 75.5 I didnt order a reducer. So it ll be at least 3 days before one comes and I cant work for 3 days now cos car immobile. Cheers Alfa.
Those dimensions are the maximum diameters of the hose clamps, and that's different from the diameter of the part inside the hose. I wouldn't rely on that.
And still the diameter I need hasn't a hose clamp anyway.
(Post Link) post #22 of 123 Old 21-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

It'll probably work out quicker to take off the top hose above the MAF and measure it. I checked mine last night and it's a 83mm MAF, but that's on the 2.4 20v JTD. It's literally just taking off two hose clips to get the measurement.

Cheers,

Mark
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

It cant be the max diameter of the hose clamps as the hoses are 76mm and the jubilee clips on them can go to about 90mm.

And the bit they got wrong is a 51mm connector off the turbo and that jubilee clip aint goin anymore than 65mm.

I ve seen a pic of an 8v like yours and that has a 76mm tube all the way to the turbo. For some reason the 16v has a SMALLER turbo opening.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_JTD
It'll probably work out quicker to take off the top hose above the MAF and measure it. I checked mine last night and it's a 83mm MAF, but that's on the 2.4 20v JTD. It's literally just taking off two hose clips to get the measurement.

Cheers,

Mark
If it was that easy I would have measured it yesterday.
No, the battery and fuse box must be taken out first before you have any access to the airbox and MAF. (147 1.9JTD 8v)

Quote:
I ve seen a pic of an 8v like yours and that has a 76mm tube all the way to the turbo. For some reason the 16v has a SMALLER turbo opening.
On my 1.9 8v 85kw the compressor inlet is somewhere around 50mm, like you say.
The 8v and 16v turbos look very similar in design, yet they have different turbo nrs.

The factory hose is tapered (+/- 70mm at MAF to +/-50mm at turbo), so actually a quite nice design.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

It is possible to reach your hand in and get a tape measure round a hose and measure it-I wish I d done that as it doesnt tell you that on eper.

My idea of using the jubilee clip diamaters would have worked perfectly, if theyd put the right dimension in!

I m pretty sure yours is the same as mine-76mm, in the eper pics it looks exactly the same.

Its quite a nice design and I tried to keep it, but have to junk it for an aftermarket one cos the whole tube is too long

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
bmc , cda , installation , jtd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page