How safe it is to remap 166 2.4jtd 10V 150HP year 2004? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 31-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

166 2.4jtd

How safe it is to remap 166 2.4jtd 10V 150HP year 2004?

I have an offer to remap above car to gain 30HP and 60Nm from the local garage. Should I consider this offer as my car has 135000km on it? What are the issues with clutch and gearbox? My clutch is not in great shape even now. By the way, does anybody know if this engine has the same type clutch and gearbox as 2.4jtdm 175Hp? If that is the case that could be the answer. Also, are there issues with DPF? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

kgb
AO Silver Member

It is safe enough if the people doing the remap know what they do!!! otherwise it is not safe!!!

you should change your clutch...if you have problems with it even right now without the remap.

NO the 175 gearbox and clutch are different.

You don't have DPF
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 02-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

166 2.4jtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb View Post
It is safe enough if the people doing the remap know what they do!!! otherwise it is not safe!!!

you should change your clutch...if you have problems with it even right now without the remap.

NO the 175 gearbox and clutch are different.

You don't have DPF
I am resonably sure they know what they are doing.
My clutch is not sliping but engages too high on the pedal, so I asume it is near to be worn out.
After reading about remaping, my main concern is clutch. Can original clutch withstand 365Mn of torque? How more often the clutch needs replacing, after remap? Why would Alfa decide to upgrade clutch on JTDm (175HP) compared to JTD (150HP)? Just to add, my driving style is relaxed most of the time, but from time to time, I give it a go, which I understand is favorable drive style for the remap.

Cheers!
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjak View Post
Can original clutch withstand 365Mn of torque? How more often the clutch needs replacing, after remap? Why would Alfa decide to upgrade clutch on JTDm (175HP) compared to JTD (150HP)? Just to add, my driving style is relaxed most of the time, but from time to time, I give it a go, which I understand is favorable drive style for the remap.

Cheers!
A standard clutch in good condition can withstand 365 Nm for a little while, mine did for about 25.000 miles before i started seeing occasional slippage in 5th... 5000 miles on and it slips in 5th and 4th unless the weather is really hot... I'll just have to replace it with an upgraded clutch sooner rather than later...

The clutch and gearbox on the 20v versions are different because they come from a different manufacturer, namely General Motors...
AO Silver Member

County: Brasov
This what all my frinds keep asking : why don't I remap my 10V 150 HP engine.
Keep telling them that I don't agree with turning a tractor into a super car by some boy with a laptop !

And btw,how rare are these cars ? Before buying mine,I thought that the facelift one got the 20V 175 HP by default.
(Post Link) post #6 of 7 Old 03-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

166 2.4jtd

How long you clutch lasted after remap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marius View Post
And btw,how rare are these cars ? Before buying mine,I thought that the facelift one got the 20V 175 HP by default.
Alfa 166 2.4jtd 10V are pretty rare, I gess. They were produced only at the end of 2003 and some time in 2004, but there are much more 156s with the same engine, so no worry about the spare parts. On the bright side, Marius, the 166s 20V with GM gearbox, have the part from the company which is bust.

All of you who have done remap ....
Please give me some more input regarding how long your clutch lasted after remap.
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
the clutch was 20.000 miles old when I got the car, after 5000 miles I did the remap, now 5000 miles on it's starting to slip...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
10v , 150hp , 166 , 2004 , 24jtd , remap , safe , year

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page