Suspension woes advice needed urgently - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 22-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Garage

Member car:

Brera 2.4 jtd

Suspension woes advice needed urgently

Hi All,
Finally got my Koni Sport Suspension kit fitted today but myself and the garage didnt realise the KOni (trademark) blue springs were black and when fitted WTF the cars NOT any lower!
Ive had real issues with the supplier already (long story) but realistically are the obligated to send me clearly the right set of springs and surely if they do they should fit the bill for fitting as its their mistake!? I'm so P&^%$D off after an already long wait where the hell do i stand? - ending on a positive the new SHOCKS seem to have transformed the damping feel so thats great but it was the lowered look also i bought them for
Your thoughts are appreciated

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Smallville

Re: Suspension woes advice needed urgently

Hey,

So you bought the -30mm springs but they sent you the wrong ones without you knowing bascally?

(Post Link) post #3 of 16 Old 22-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

Brera 2.4 jtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville View Post
Hey,

So you bought the -30mm springs but they sent you the wrong ones without you knowing bascally?
I bought the complete sports sus kit with adjustable shocks and lowering spring i think 35mm - Koni springs are blue i beleive (NOW) AND THESE ARE BLACK AND SHOW NO DIFFERENCE IN RIDE HEIGHT AT ALL SO SOMEONES F*&^KED up bigtime
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

Not from Larkspeed by any chance???
(Post Link) post #5 of 16 Old 23-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

Brera 2.4 jtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob3rto View Post
Not from Larkspeed by any chance???
No Motorspeed Ayr
Smallville

Quote:
Originally Posted by the graduate View Post
No Motorspeed Ayr
Get on the phone and give them a ******ing

(Post Link) post #7 of 16 Old 23-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

Brera 2.4 jtd

I did first thing and they promised to call KONI and get back to me tuesday, i siad how P$$$ED off iam with the whoile service so far and they had better sort it asap he didnt offer a suggestion on who will pay for re-fitting so being ahead of the game i have already sent a detailed email to KONI uk to let them know how one of their offical dealers are behaving so they had better sort it the only way it can be - send me the right ones and pay for re-fitting at the very least!
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09

County: Victoria

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

let's hope it's not KONI's fault.

are you sure they should be blue, and not black? colour change perhaps? any model numbers written on the springs to correlate with what you are meant to have?

also, springs will always 'sag' from use. so when first fitted, the car will ride higher than after 500 miles. however, the sagging may only be another 10mm or so.

did you do before/after measurements to know EXACTLY if the ride height changed? i'm wondering how you can be sure - or how much it has/hasn't changed.

(Post Link) post #9 of 16 Old 24-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

Brera 2.4 jtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny_car View Post
let's hope it's not KONI's fault.

are you sure they should be blue, and not black? colour change perhaps? any model numbers written on the springs to correlate with what you are meant to have?

also, springs will always 'sag' from use. so when first fitted, the car will ride higher than after 500 miles. however, the sagging may only be another 10mm or so.

did you do before/after measurements to know EXACTLY if the ride height changed? i'm wondering how you can be sure - or how much it has/hasn't changed.

Hi well the box and other sites including Koni show blue and even describe them as "trade mark" blue springs? the garage that fitted em asked if the were lowering springs when i arrived to pick the car up as they didnt think it appeared lower but as you say they may settle and lower after some miles but visually cant see 30 plus mm from standard via sagging. The pics show a koni logo on one of the separate springs on each but mine dont have this!
Unfortunatly i didnt measure as i assumed they would be the correct kit id ordered. A friend on hear sent before and after pics of his lowered on eibachs (same lowering amount) but mine are cleary not that low. I will see what the supplier says on tuesday when they get back to me and by then i should see a drop ? in height if its gonna happen will try and get some pics up.
Thanks for you input mate
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09

County: Victoria

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

if you drive a few hundred miles by Tues, you might achieve some sag to settle the springs. unfortunately, i wouldn't expect them to sag 20mm+ , but it depends on the design of the coils, grade of steel, and diameter. if they're anything like Eibach's, they'll only sag about 10mm.

(Post Link) post #11 of 16 Old 24-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

Brera 2.4 jtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny_car View Post
if you drive a few hundred miles by Tues, you might achieve some sag to settle the springs. unfortunately, i wouldn't expect them to sag 20mm+ , but it depends on the design of the coils, grade of steel, and diameter. if they're anything like Eibach's, they'll only sag about 10mm.

Well strangely after doing a few miles (not hundreds) it does appear to be a bit lower especially at the back from memory so maybe just maybe - just thought it would be lower than it is but will see - i wasnt after a slammed look but lower than it appears really.
Koni should be good enough quality but will see what the supplier says after they have spoken to Koni to check i have the correct as ordered springs.
2 of my mates can see a difference mybe i need new glasses? lol
(Post Link) post #12 of 16 Old 30-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

Brera 2.4 jtd

A further update - after waiting 2 days after a promise from the suppliers i couldnt stand it any more so called them and the guy dealing was now on holiday so i demanded to speak to the manager who then left me waiting on the phone 4 nearly 10 mins while he called KOni UK and then informed me the springs are correct and Koni out source them by another company which they own!? feeling like he was fobbing me off I called Koni UK and to me surprize he wasnt lying and the (very helpful ) Koni guy confirmed this and also said that the springs may settle so at last although i wish visually they looked a little lower the ride and handling more than make up for that dissapointment so all in all Iam finally happy - thank god as i was on the verge of driving to Scotland for a private chat with Motorspeed about how appauling their customer service was!
I did pointed out that they could have possibly gained large amounts of suspension sales via me mentioning them on the forum but tough as i would not be now and hope he was bothered and learnt a lesson from this "how not to treat a customer"
End of story - hopefully
AO Platinum Member

County: herts
Can we see a picture of the wheels/arches when they have been fitted please?:
AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

There does seem to be a lot of problems with suspension kits and ride heights. The manufacturer quotes reduction in height from a new car and as cars get older the suspension does sag a bit so you often dont get exactly what you are expecting.

I think the reason your ride height has dropped at the rear since it was originally fitted is due to the design of the strut top mount as it needs a fairly large force to fully seat the top mount.

Must say that my Eibach Pro kit with -30mm gave exactly -30mm compared to my non lowered 156

156 2.5 V6 24v, Cosmos Blue Metallic, Tan Leather, 17 GTA's, 225/45 Michelin PS2's, Full Zender body kit, GTA Headlights, Eibach springs, Koni FSD's, Eibach Anti-roll bars, Ferrari 360 Brembo calipers, DS2500 pads, Squadra ECU, 45mm Intake Runners, Carbon Intake, Dan & Wizard exhaust

156 2.5 V6 Qsystem, Red + Red Leather, Bilstein dampers, DS2500 pads...soon Brembo calipers, 17" GTV Teles
(Post Link) post #15 of 16 Old 30-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

Brera 2.4 jtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu ferret View Post
Can we see a picture of the wheels/arches when they have been fitted please?:
Yeah no probs will be at Stanford hall next week so will get some done if not before Zulu
(Post Link) post #16 of 16 Old 30-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

Brera 2.4 jtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascs View Post
There does seem to be a lot of problems with suspension kits and ride heights. The manufacturer quotes reduction in height from a new car and as cars get older the suspension does sag a bit so you often dont get exactly what you are expecting.

I think the reason your ride height has dropped at the rear since it was originally fitted is due to the design of the strut top mount as it needs a fairly large force to fully seat the top mount.

Must say that my Eibach Pro kit with -30mm gave exactly -30mm compared to my non lowered 156
Thanks for your input Pascs - mine's ok just had my rose tinted specs on i guess! at the end of the day a difference is a difference and she does look better for it

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
advice , needed , suspension , urgently , woes

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page