Benefits of aftermarket intake on JTD 8v - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 11-05-09 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1004
County: Noord Brabant
Benefits of aftermarket intake on JTD 8v

I'm quite new here, and see a lot of positive reactions about the BMC CDA and GSR intakes.

In Holland a well known tuner (Squadra) told me the standard airbox will flow sufficient even on modified JTD engines. The only modification he recommends is replacing the intake pipe for a 16v model that collects more cold air.

Because I have mounted a FMIC, the stock airbox was in the way for the piping from the turbo. So I've removed the resonation chamber (that is prob only for silencing purposes anyway) and closed the connection pipe with a rubber stop. I still use the standard paper filter element.
See pictures below:

airbox mod 1.jpg
airbox mod 2.jpg

Does anyone did these mods on a standard airbox and gained any performance after placing a aftermarket intake?

I ask this because when I look at the standard box, it seems to have a very large filter area and with the 16v pipe takes cold air from the front.

I have 160 HP at 3700 rpm now with FMIC, freeflow de-cat exhaust, and custom remap (1.4 bar boost). The tuner tried higher boost settings but those resulted in ECU errors (boost builds up in 5th gear).

Would another intake bring any gains?
p.s. I'm also thinking of enlarging the manifold as it seems there is a restriction in it after the MAP sensor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

kgb
AO Silver Member

County: -
Re: Benefits of aftermarket intake on JTD 8v

I personally use the BMC_CDA and it really does what I wanted it to do.

You will probally need a new remap after the fitment of the CDA if you have problems with overboost when trying to run 1.5Bar.

You can run 1.5 Bar without going into safe mode if everything is working correctly on your car.

And NO the standard air-box won't flow sufficient air if you go into hard tuning :-)

In general you will get some gains with BMC_CDA or something similar...and it will help your turbo to last longer.

Better think of sport cams for your bella then enlarging the inlet manifold.

Alfa 147 QVD 300hp by BlackAngels, Alfa 159 2.4 QVD, Alfa 159 TI 1.9 QVD and Crosswagon edition Nero, Alfa Stelvio 2.2 Q4
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

159 Ti

The GSR kit is also very good, and connects directly to the turbo, having no side I/C means you could fit the longer GSR pipe and have the air filter in the wing with a cold air feed direct from the bumper.

It works very well if you have a FMIC.

3bar map sensor from a 16v may be an idea? - If remapping for a new filter as well?
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

159 Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb View Post
KGB, are there any you recommend?
kgb
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasons View Post
KGB, are there any you recommend?
Yep

Colombo & Bariani: alberi a camme dal 1934

I am getting one soon...maybe next month.

Call them and I think that can make one for you as well.

Maybe we should make some kind of group buy for sport cams for JTDs...

How much is the sport cam KGB ??
kgb
AO Silver Member

367..Euro...not sure if that includes VAT and shipping....

If we get a few cars that are willing to buy it we might get some discount.
(Post Link) post #8 of 9 Old 12-05-09 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb View Post
I personally use the BMC_CDA and it really does what I wanted it to do.

You will probally need a new remap after the fitment of the CDA if you have problems with overboost when trying to run 1.5Bar.

You can run 1.5 Bar without going into safe mode if everything is working correctly on your car.

And NO the standard air-box won't flow sufficient air if you go into hard tuning :-)

In general you will get some gains with BMC_CDA or something similar...and it will help your turbo to last longer.

The fact that keeps me from directly buying a intake such as the BMC is the dimensions of those units. I can't imagine there is more filtration area inside compared to standard. So what makes it actually flow more?

Cams: Squadra tuning (NL) did some tests with other cams (even custom ones) and they didn't gain more toppower. But after toppower (so 4000 rpm and up) the power dropped less quickly. But of course, there are very many specs possible on cams. Did you obtain more toppower with only cams?

For my boost problem: it's programmed now in such a way that when the boost peaks, there is less fuel. So a boost spike results in less power, so that the boost always drops.
Sometimes when I hit the accelerator I can feel the boost fluctuate, so up-down-up-down etc. But only with a small amplitude so that the acceleration feels constant.
I have to install my pressure gauge, then I can see what boost I really have (I don't know, only what is programmed).

But this way I won't get the error anymore.
(Post Link) post #9 of 9 Old 20-05-09 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

Well, I think I'll try the CDA. In combination with a straight, smooth pipe and located at the original intercooler position, the intake to turbo is much more direct so it has to make a difference.

I don't really believe in the flexible hose that is supplied in the kit, however. Better to use silicon couplers and alu pipe I think.

But which one should be the best choice, the 85/150 or the 70/140 ?

Also thinking to use a 3bar MAP sensor and another custom remap by Squadra. (going from 1.4 bar to 1.5-1.6 maybe)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
aftermarket , benefits , intake , jtd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page