Just had a remap. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 34 Old 07-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

335i Coupe

Just had a remap.

Just though t I would post this as when I was debating on whether to have a remap or not I trawled through post after post of remap stuff but never really found a thread that gave me a definative answer to my 'should I get a remap?' question. So if anyone like me is umm'ing and rrrr'ing over whether to have one or not i'd say yes, definately! The power is great (it wasn't bad before mind). The torque difference is very notable and 2nd and 3rd gears are awesome.

So to summarise, if anyone is unsure on whether to have a remap, I'd highly recommend doing so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dibby

Re: Just had a remap.

Good man, knew you'd like it.

2nd feels more like 1st and very easy to hit the red line, 3rd feels like 2nd and pulls like a train up through 4th? When you stop driving like a 17 year old in a Saxo the fuel economy should have improved an mpg or 2 too

... and the only downside is 5th and 6th slip the clutch like a biatch in mine so there's a kevlar plated clutch waiting in my shed to go in when it finally gives up.

(Post Link) post #3 of 34 Old 07-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

335i Coupe

The power is much more instant too and doesn't come in as a hefty lump of torque, more of a smooth wave.

I'll bear that in mind about the clutch.

Can't wait to finish work and get back in it now!
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Glad you like!!
I had the same done to my GT. Clutch was a bit of an issue and I have now (as of yesterday) had that replaced with an uprated one and had a Q2 diff fitted at the same time. WOW what a difference!!
AO Member

County: -

I had a remap too in my 159ti - result is awesome.
I wonder if may this cause a trouble in the engine in long term like exhausting the engine / parts earlier then expected and shorten the lifetime?
I was told it is now 190 hp and 380nm.
(Post Link) post #6 of 34 Old 08-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

335i Coupe

I have the jtd 150 (originally) so I presume mine be around the same figures? it certainly feels like it.

I was assured that the map that was put on my car will not cause any damage to compoents as the car can 'handle it'. Only time will tell I suppose, although any faulty parts could be coincidental and were going to break anyway....
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Did they not put it on a rolling road so they could see exactly what the gains where?
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by typos1 View Post
Did they not put it on a rolling road so they could see exactly what the gains where?
No - they did not.. since it is qtronic, not possible to see the gains on a rolling road. They told that on manual transmission can be seen but not on automatic ones.
AO Member

Who did it for you?
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcamboy View Post
Who did it for you?
A local (Istanbul) modification company.. as you know read, edit and write process.
(Post Link) post #11 of 34 Old 08-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

335i Coupe

Mine was also done without the rolling road. Ideally I'd liked the RR, but I can't see it making a masive differnce in the stats of the remap, you just know your cars bhp and torque.

Red dot did mine BTW.
AO Silver Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

various Alfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecedb View Post
A local (Istanbul) modification company.. as you know read, edit and write process.

Hi,which one?
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

500 Abarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaywood View Post
Mine was also done without the rolling road. Ideally I'd liked the RR, but I can't see it making a masive differnce in the stats of the remap, you just know your cars bhp and torque.

Red dot did mine BTW.
What they sent somebody out to map your car.....I thought they only recommend to ..."CUSTOM"... tune on their RR!!!

Isn't that the rason most of the "!!PROS!!" look down at AT!!! cos they only do curbside tuning!!

Having said that you are right about tuning a car is also about driving experience rather than squeezing the last drop of hp out of an engine!
(Post Link) post #14 of 34 Old 08-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

335i Coupe

The map that has been used on mine will be very similar to one that would have written from scratch, had I used the roling road, so the difference between me travelling a huge distance down to Enfield to use the RR would not be worth it as the it not be all that noticable.

I cant see how a roadside remap would be any diffeent to a remap done in a garage without a rolling road.
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

500 Abarth

Quote:
The map that has been used on mine will be very similar to one that would have written from scratch, had I used the roling road, so the difference between me travelling a huge distance down to Enfield to use the RR would not be worth it as the it not be all that noticable.

I cant see how a roadside remap would be any diffeent to a remap done in a garage without a rolling road.
Well said m8. .. there is nothing wrong with a good generic map that has been developed and tested on many cars...and as you say what difference does it make if it is done at your house or in a garage!

As long as the retune suits your style of driving and is value for money...does it matter?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Isnt the whole point of re-map to have it custom mapped for your specific engine?
AO Member

Hia guys was thinking of getting mine done, i got a 150bhp jtd mjet, is it worth me doing owt with it? also where would i get it done in the north west and what kind of price should i expect?
CJO
AO Silver Member

County: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by noz40 View Post
Hia guys was thinking of getting mine done, i got a 150bhp jtd mjet, is it worth me doing owt with it? also where would i get it done in the north west and what kind of price should i expect?

Alfa Tuner is in your part of the world and he has had good write ups from other AO forum users - send him a PM.
(Post Link) post #19 of 34 Old 08-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

335i Coupe

Quote:
Isnt the whole point of re-map to have it custom mapped for your specific engine?
No the whole point of a remap is to make your car go faster! (for me anyway).

I had a generic map, and Im not disappointed, so where's the issue?
Dibby

Same here Jaywood.

My JTD is no different to any other JTD out there so a standard map for a standard engine. If I had a sports exhaust, intake, turbo, intercooler or injectors I'd go for a custom map. It's about increasing power, torque, smoothing out the delivery and economy. If something has been tried and tested on hundreds of other cars I'm happy.

And go for it Noz, the difference it makes to the diesel engines is great. Use the search, loads of info on here already on who's good and prices.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

All versions of one engine are NOT the same, due to manufacturing tolerances, oil used, whether been serviced at the right time, how its been driven, fuel quality, mileage etc. One JTD 150 might kick out 148 brake and another might kick out 155. Its supposed to be optimised for your engine so it runs as well as it should. Your car might be faster but if you had one specifically tuned for your particular engine it could have been faster still. Go for it, but get it done properly on a rolling road. Wait for one of the AO tuning days and get a big discount (180 all in I think)

Last edited by typos1; 09-05-09 at 10:18.
(Post Link) post #22 of 34 Old 08-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

335i Coupe

Faster by only couple of mpg/torques possibly yes. As I mentioned earlier, had the RR option been more available and hadn't meant traveling the length of the country for the privilege, I'd had gone for that. But it wasn't, and the couple of extra HP's don't really justify the inconvenience, particularly when, realistically, the difference will not really be noticed in my every day driving.
AO Member

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Quote:
Faster by only couple of mpg/torques possibly yes. As I mentioned earlier, had the RR option been more available and hadn't meant traveling the length of the country for the privilege, I'd had gone for that. But it wasn't, and the couple of extra HP's don't really justify the inconvenience, particularly when, realistically, the difference will not really be noticed in my every day driving.
hear, hear!! Generic remaps are easily the best option for most drivers unless you are after the untimate bhp or have a high performance modified car. Almost all of us are just after a bit more usable power and this option provides it in spades from any company.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

No. Thats one approach, which might give very slightly higher gains, unless you have made some significant changes to your car, in which case much more more benefit.
On the other hand it hasn't been at all as well tested and so could have some glitches - the experience of the operator is vital here.
Clutch, gearbox, turbo life could all be negatively affected.

If your car is bog standard I dont really see the point of custom maps personally, I would rather use something that had some long-term data on reliability.

Quote:
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

150 1.9jtdm ti

Hey Jaywood

Great news bout your remap. Just took delivery of new 159 1.9 JTDM TI 2 weeks ago. Beautiful car inside and out. However bit dissapointed about 2 things

1. My best mate just bought a boring (hideous from the rearend) 56 plate 320d BMW. The BMW however would leave the alfa for dust. It has much more torque, and is quicker full stop. The alfas 1st gear is sluggish and car feels heavy 2nd and 3rd are a bit better. Ive been thinking about the map for a while even before i had the car.

2. The MPG isnt great but i knew that anyway it give 35 mixed motorway and urban drive. My 200000 on the clock mondeo did marginally better than that. Any way the look of the car make up for that.

Should i wait till i have more on the clock so the engine loosens up and i get a better idea of the current mpg. BUt i want it now in the summer. If the drop is significant say 7+ mpg i think i wont go for it. But then again most people have said it doesnt affect the mpg as long as you dont drive like a maniac.
Im stuck between going to the alfa day at red dot for 180 quid. Problems are the drive there and if something goes wrong i want to erase the map before going to the dealers (car is leased). Red dot i know can come to you but they are based quite far, if i want it removed. im based in birmingham.

Angel tuning are offering the remap for 275 and they will come out to me. If i want it erased they will come out for i think 45 quid, they are based about 50 miles away. Not to fussed about the rolling road i just want to sit in a car after the remap that does justice to the sporty design.

What was you experience of red dot and how much did they charge to come out. ? Will they erase? will they come out to do that ? how much will they charge?

What do you think. Im in a very similar position to what you were in, reading all the remap threads etc.Thanks for any advice you may have. I think i need someone to say grow a pair and get it done!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
remap

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page