Remap who shall it be? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

Old 05-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

335i Coupe

Remap who shall it be?

After a few months of deliberating, I have decided today that I am going to book my car in for a remap this afternoon. The only problem is I dont know which company I should use.

I have spoken to Redot in the past, Celtic & Angel tuning and they all seem like great places, very helpful and friendly (which adds to my undecisiveness!)

one claims to give me results of 205BHP, while the others both say around 185/190.

Obviously the 205 option is more attractive, but is this absolute maximum figure and the more realistic numbers will be around the 185 bhp mark?

I am in cheshire so the remap will have to be a mobile job.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-09
AO Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

Re: Remap who shall it be?

I tried to ask the same question last week with no decent reply, don't think anyone here likes to offer an opinion. Prob fraid of the old horses head in the bed tomorrow morning!

I know red dot are doing an alfa day on the 30th of may where a remap costs 180.00 but there have been hints that the quality isn't as good as others. I wanted to know more but no luck. Whichever you choose please let us know!!
Old 05-05-09

County: Nottinghamshire

Try torquing BHP' s web site. cost around £300 but they do garentee there work
Old 05-05-09
Dibby

Give the guys a ring yourself and talk to them about what you're looking for - economy/ all out power/ mixture of both and make your mind up from talking to them, not us.

I had mine done over a year ago and I'd get it done again on any diesel I own from now on, the results are brilliant.

Warning: Any mention of remapping on this forum quickly descends into a 'my mapper's better than yours' competition

AO Member

Member car:

335i Coupe

So there's potentail for a can of worms to be opened here then!

I was just after advice really, is the motto 'you get what you pay for' relevant here then?
Old 05-05-09
Dibby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaywood View Post
So there's potentail for a can of worms to be opened here then!
Ohhhh yes, every remap thread here disintegrates after a few posts. Have a search and read a few of them. You won't find a definitive answer to the question 'who should I use?' on here[/quote]

Quote:
I was just after advice really, is the motto 'you get what you pay for' relevant here then?
I'm steering well clear of that one!

... the only advice I could offer - don't use an unknown backstreet garage to have a go at doing an Alfa. All the guys mentioned and tried & tested on the forum here know what they're doing. Some more than others but it all depends on whether you're breathing fire into a fully blown race engine or after a bit more power for the daily drive. Up to you really.

Old 05-05-09
AO Silver Member

Well as said, we don't want the thread to descend into "my mappers better than yours".

That said, generally you may want to pick a remapper that has a dyno or "rolling road". Without one of these they will not be able to tweak the map to your car, otherwise known as a "custom map" - that's what you want ideally. All cars differ with age, part wear and even different model years and servicing, that's why results can be different and custom maps are ideal.

If you are not prepared to travel to the remapper's workshop then clearly they won't be able to rolling road your car. I'd say it's worth making the trip though. Without a rolling road they can only give you a "generic map" developed for a general car of your type.

The other thing I'd say is the gains on a turbo diesel can be truly mammoth. The downside of that is that you are bound to get premature clutch wear, but worse than that the car may produce so much torque that over time you tear apart transmission or even engine internals. As such you may be better off asking for a balanced map which improves power, mpgs and turbo smoothness, rather than a "mad map" for all out power.

Price itself can be a red herring as there seems to be a lot of variability - I'd look for people with a rolling road and custom mapping. My car was the first of its kind done by the company I used. They rolling roaded it and did several different maps on it (rolling roading it each time to check the effect), but I was very pleased with the final results.

If a company say they can map for your car in 15 mins, then that's a generic map and I wouldn't say it's perfect, but if you don't want to travel to them you may take the view that a custom map is right for you. If they are coming to your doorstep though, you don't get the pleasure of a long drive home to see the fruits of their labours!

Brat Pack no.8
Old 05-05-09
Dibby

There's another can of worms in whether to go for a generic tried & tested map or a rolling road custom map to gain more power and torque and fine tune how it's delivered.

Old 05-05-09
AO Member

County: Surrey

Just remember, pre and post map runs on a dyno do not automatically equal custom map.

My 10c says that most of the generic maps out there will be of the same source... there's no way someone like Angel tuning individually develop performance maps for every single make and model out there, hell, doing the whole Alfa range would be a massive challenge in itself. Very much a 'pay your money take your chance affair', I would go by recommendation hence the willy waving on here does serve some purpose...

Red Dot seemed very good when I went along to the last Alfa day...
Old 05-05-09
AO Gold Member

Garage

What about AlfaTune? Alfatuner here on AO. St Helens - much nearer than darn sarf!

Alfatune Motorsport
Old 05-05-09
AO Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post

Red Dot seemed very good when I went along to the last Alfa day...
Can you be bit more specific? Do they give you a choice of maps or is it a general Alfa JTD more power, similar economy type upgrade?
AO Member

Member car:

335i Coupe

Some very good points have been made, particulary the option whether or not to go for a custom rolling road job or a generic map. The only place I know of with a rolling road is Red dot, but that would be quite a drive! but would be ultimately worth it in the long run.

I think i have my mind made up, I'm going to give them a call in a min to get things moving.
Old 05-05-09
AO Gold Member

Garage

Quote:
Some very good points have been made, particulary the option whether or not to go for a custom rolling road job or a generic map. The only place I know of with a rolling road is Red dot, but that would be quite a drive! but would be ultimately worth it in the long run.

I think i have my mind made up, I'm going to give them a call in a min to get things moving.

AlfaTune???
Old 05-05-09
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

Quote:

Alfatune make sense, they are on your doorstep.
AO Member

Member car:

335i Coupe

Well its booked in for Thursday, not sure if I should reveal the mappers identity due to the whole can of worms thing!

I hope it makes a noticeable difference!!
Old 05-05-09
AO Gold Member

Garage

Waiting with baited breath.

Looking to do something similar in the near future.
AO Member

Member car:

335i Coupe

I'll post the results on Thursday when its done, and when I've finished playing with it!
Old 05-05-09
AO Silver Member

County: Wrexham

Member car:

GTA Shed wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperationAlfa View Post
Alfatune make sense, they are on your doorstep.
+1

Probably too late for you now but Gus (Alfatune) is a top bloke who'll give you straight answers!
He's under ALFA TUNER on this forum
Old 05-05-09
AO Member

County: Tyne and Wear

i have a 2.4 jtdm does anyone in the North East tune alfas on a rolling road?
Old 08-06-09
AO Member

Hi gang, is it worth me getting my 58 cloverleaf 2.0 jts re mapped, or is it just for the jtd's? got a price from adi,which compared to angel etc seems a bit high, saying that he needs the car for two days, so the price seems fair for that amount of work.just need to know if anybody else has had a jts done, and was it worth it thanks ,paul
Old 08-06-09
AO Silver Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

various Alfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffynorris49 View Post
Hi gang, is it worth me getting my 58 cloverleaf 2.0 jts re mapped, or is it just for the jtd's? got a price from adi,which compared to angel etc seems a bit high, saying that he needs the car for two days, so the price seems fair for that amount of work.just need to know if anybody else has had a jts done, and was it worth it thanks ,paul
How can you compare with Angel??They cannot do the 2.0 JTS cars
Old 08-06-09
AO Member

Okay that might be a problem then lol
Old 09-06-09
AO Gold Member

Garage
Quote:
I'll post the results on Thursday when its done, and when I've finished playing with it!
How did it go, Jay?
Old 09-06-09
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD

Speak to Gus at Alfatune...he did mine at the weekend (after a poor attempt by another "tuner") ) He can do amazing things, my car is now unbelievable. Unfortunately I got my first ever 3points on my licence 15 mins after leaving his garage (19 year I have had my licence driving modified RS turbo's and Impreza's)....... You have been warned!
Old 09-06-09
AO Silver Member

County: -
Sometimes I wish I would live in England... :/

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
remap