Brera 2.2: Bilstein B6 vs Koni FSD - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

Old 28-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Eastern Hong Kong Island
Brera 2.2: Bilstein B6 vs Koni FSD

Has anyone fitted either of these with Eibach Prokit sport springs to their brera?
How much difference are they in terms of comfort vs cornering abilities?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-04-09
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Re: Brera 2.2: Bilstein B6 vs Koni FSD

I don't think you'll get a comparison between these two shocks, as people will only be able to go by what they've bought vs the standard shocks.

Either will improve the car no doubt, personally I went with the Konis but Bilstein are a good brand of shocks too.
Old 29-04-09
AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

I ran Bilsteins (not sure of the model) on my 156 V6 and recently replaced them with FSD's. Also fitted Eibach Pro springs at the same time, so not really a direct comparison.

I think the FSD's are a more comfortable damper than the Bilsteins which is after all their design and why they cost so much. There isnt really much difference but you dont feel the smaller bumps or irregularities in the road but when pushed the FSD's stiffen up very quickly for cornering etc

IMO if you are looking for a harder feel to your suspension then probably the Bilsteins, if you are looking for a very nicely controlled suspension without much loss of the original comfort then FSD's are better.

This is all taken from a 156 so the Brera could be totally different but I would think all dampers behave similarly irrespective of which car they are fitted to......hope this helps

156 2.5 V6 24v, Cosmos Blue Metallic, Tan Leather, 17” GTA's, 225/45 Michelin PS2's, Full Zender body kit, GTA Headlights, Eibach springs, Koni FSD's, Eibach Anti-roll bars, Ferrari 360 Brembo calipers, DS2500 pads, Squadra ECU, 45mm Intake Runners, Carbon Intake, Dan & Wizard exhaust

156 2.5 V6 Qsystem, Red + Red Leather, Bilstein dampers, DS2500 pads...soon Brembo calipers, 17" GTV Teles
Old 05-05-09
AO Member

County: -

I have the B8 Sprints which are basically B6 with a shorter stroke and from what i can make out & IMO they are a bit firmer than the FSD's, still a great shock in all aspects tho.
Old 05-05-09
Smallville

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaTS56 View Post
I have the B8 Sprints which are basically B6 with a shorter stroke and from what i can make out & IMO they are a bit firmer than the FSD's, still a great shock in all aspects tho.
I totally agree with you there fella

Old 06-05-09
AO Member

County: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville View Post
I totally agree with you there fella
yea aren't they awesome.. you really need to drive hard to see how amazing they work i find...
can i ask what was the difference in drive when you fitted the eibach ARB's ... what dim size are they?
Old 06-05-09
Smallville

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaTS56 View Post
yea aren't they awesome.. you really need to drive hard to see how amazing they work i find...
can i ask what was the difference in drive when you fitted the eibach ARB's ... what dim size are they?
Funny enough you saying that, I still have not had the arbs fitted , I ran out of funds so could not pay for them to be fitted. But I should be getting them fitted in the next 2/3 weeks (I hope).

As for the shocks and springs, I am amazed at how different the car handles, you can feel the difference at low speed because the turn in feels just that bit sharper, then when you get to a nice twisty bit they just begged to be pushed harder and harder

I had the luck of getting to test them in North Wales a week after I had them fitted and I was able to keep ahead of the V6s on the twisty part if the EVO Triangle, then keep up with them through some very very twisty parts near Snowdonia where its all 2nd gear

Old 06-05-09
AO Silver Member

County: Vale of Glamorgan

Member car:

147 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville View Post
Funny enough you saying that, I still have not had the arbs fitted , I ran out of funds so could not pay for them to be fitted. But I should be getting them fitted in the next 2/3 weeks (I hope).

As for the shocks and springs, I am amazed at how different the car handles, you can feel the difference at low speed because the turn in feels just that bit sharper, then when you get to a nice twisty bit they just begged to be pushed harder and harder

I had the luck of getting to test them in North Wales a week after I had them fitted and I was able to keep ahead of the V6s on the twisty part if the EVO Triangle, then keep up with them through some very very twisty parts near Snowdonia where its all 2nd gear
Il vouch for that, what your car lacks in power it certainly makes up for it in the handling stakes Scott
Old 06-05-09
Smallville

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodz1300 View Post
Il vouch for that, what your car lacks in power it certainly makes up for it in the handling stakes Scott
Cheers Rod, much appreciated

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
bilstein , brera , fsd , koni