Im getting a GTA intake fitted today... Cant wait!!!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 24-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.8 TS Lusso

Chilling Im getting a GTA intake fitted today... Cant wait!!!!

Not the biggest upgrade in the world bit im having a GTA intake fitted to my 1.8 Twinny while im in work This will be the first proper mod I have done to the car since i got it 2 years ago. Have been replacing all kinds on the car to get it back to pristine condition and thought i would "treat" myself to this.

Is it wrong to feel quite exited about driving it tonight when I get home? Hope it makes a little difference to the sound...

On another note im having front discs and pads replaced also, is it true you have to bed them in for a good few miles or is this an old wives tale???

Black 159 1.9JTD...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire
Re: Im getting a GTA intake fitted today... Cant wait!!!!

Brakes.............. Yep, a bit of bedding in is needed to get them up to 100% ......... driving in stop/start traffic after 20/30 miles they'll be cool......... But make sure when you first drive off after fitting them you pump the pedal a bit and do a couple of stops in quick succession.......... Last thing you want is to go barrelling off up the road to the traffic lights hit the brakes and fing nowt happens...........

Cheers to All
Peter
AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Hopefully you'll have a nice bark from the intake - I did on my Selespeed when I installed the V6 pipe

I always get a bit excited about any mod I do to my car
(Post Link) post #4 of 14 Old 24-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.8 TS Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Rizla View Post
Brakes.............. Yep, a bit of bedding in is needed to get them up to 100% ......... driving in stop/start traffic after 20/30 miles they'll be cool......... But make sure when you first drive off after fitting them you pump the pedal a bit and do a couple of stops in quick succession.......... Last thing you want is to go barrelling off up the road to the traffic lights hit the brakes and fing nowt happens...........

Cheers to All
Peter
Cheers peter, will follow what you have said when the car is dropped off later, just thought i would make sure. Glad to hear its only 30 miles befroe they will be ok...

Pascs, you have literally just doubled my exitment by saying it will have a bit of bark, that is all I am after with this... always thought the 1.8 was a bit on the quiet side lol
AO Platinum Member

Bedding-in procedure depends on what pads you have.
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire

that it does, my red stuff reccommend 200 miles gentle driving becasue of the hard compound.

just so you know, if you go hard on the brakes with new pads, they will glase over and will be like trying to stop your car with glass, and the pads wont recover from it either

once glased they will stay glased

on the up side the 1.8 sounds brill with any intake mod, really nice bark from 2-4k and the "induction kit" on mine, basically a filter on the end the the long black intake pipe, that ends just under the battery, you can here the pitch change at 5.5k as the vvt comes on song love it

At the big scrapyard in the sky:
Mk2 Punto Active Sport 1.2 8vStilo Schumacher GP147 1.6 TS LussoMk1 Punto Sporting 1.2 16v156 1.8 TS Lusso

On the 8th day God created BMW, on the 9th day, he traded it in for an Alfa Romeo :evillaugh:

AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa-Red View Post
that it does, my red stuff reccommend 200 miles gentle driving becasue of the hard compound.

just so you know, if you go hard on the brakes with new pads, they will glase over and will be like trying to stop your car with glass, and the pads wont recover from it either
Ferodo DS2500 will be fully bedded-in within 10-minutes when you follow the correct procedure.
The correct procedure for those is very extreme and needs an empty road/track.
AO Gold Member

or just to be careful, i.e not putting yourself in situations were you need to jump on the brakes hard.

tbf, he never said what pads he was getting, jut speaking from my expereince, and your right road pads dont need alot of bedding, just mentioned how long some pads take to bed in, i.e red stuff thats all.

red stuff are hard, but f/hell do they work well when there matched with a decent set of discs too.

i had no fade at a day at donny or oulton park, thought the ring would give them a good test, but no fade there either.

people say they dont work when cold, but i never had that problem, they were great when cold and even better when hot.

must get some on my alfa
(Post Link) post #9 of 14 Old 24-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.8 TS Lusso

Thanks for the info guys, the pads and discs I got were Mintex... im currently working on a small monthly budget and they seemed like the best for the price. Have taken it very easy on the pads so far, will be mindful of the glasing over effect as dont want that to happen!

On to the GTA intake mod I had done today, I cant beleive the difference it has made, Alfa-red you hit the nail on the head, 2k revs and it sounds brill not too overpowering just the right note for me. makes the car sound like its got a bit more oomph I was driving down a quiet narrow street before and could almost hear a "burble" effect if that is the right way to describe it? Absoloutely fantastic

Next on my list is a nice csc backbox...
AO Gold Member

i perfer thrumming, or grumbleing.

i need to get a video of mine, there is a noticable pitch change 5.5k that i never heard with the normal intake, and it really starts too shift too

think the 1.8 is a great engine personally
AO Member

County: Cascais

Member car:

2000 156 3.0 v6

Hi guys

Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but you know...

Ok, so after doing a lot of reading, I decided to go for the GTA mod instead of the v6 mod on my Selespeed (156).
After looking in there, the pipe seems to hit the Selespeed pump, so I don't know if it'll fit easily...

Did any Selespeed owner do this mod? How did you fit the pipe in there and how did you held it in place?

Can hardly wait for your replies...
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernas68 View Post
Hi guys

Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but you know...

Ok, so after doing a lot of reading, I decided to go for the GTA mod instead of the v6 mod on my Selespeed (156).
After looking in there, the pipe seems to hit the Selespeed pump, so I don't know if it'll fit easily...

Did any Selespeed owner do this mod? How did you fit the pipe in there and how did you held it in place?

Can hardly wait for your replies...
Have you actually tried fitting it yet?
I had the 2.5V6 pipe on my Selespeed, but there were no issues clearing the Selespeed pump.
The opening goes forward to behind the underside of the headlight (there is a recess in the bumper on that side if you look closely).
AO Member

County: Cascais

Member car:

2000 156 3.0 v6

Hi David!

Well, actually no... I didn't try to fit it, really...

I was at the garage, the car was up on the big garage jack and I tried to see if it would fit and noticed it would hit the pump... (I don't know if you know but the GTA pipe is quite bigger/larger than the V6 pipe) :/
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernas68 View Post
Hi David!

Well, actually no... I didn't try to fit it, really...

I was at the garage, the car was up on the big garage jack and I tried to see if it would fit and noticed it would hit the pump... (I don't know if you know but the GTA pipe is quite bigger/larger than the V6 pipe) :/
Yes, I know the GTA pipe is bigger, but it is the same shape and same overall size.
It is just a larger bore and doesn't have the notch in it that the 2.5V6/JTD pipe has to clear the ATF-cooler (on the V6) or Intercooler (on JTD).

I'd be surprised if the GTA pipe hit the Selespeed pump, but I don't know anyone that has fitted one to be sure.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
fitted , gta , intake , today , wait

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page