GT 3.2L - which parts of exhaust to upgrade? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 22-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09

County: Victoria

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

GT 3.2L - which parts of exhaust to upgrade?

hey

currently, i have only changed the backbox/rear muffler on my car, to a local Oz product, branded Mille Miglia. i'm very happy with this in terms of sound and quality. this link is for the 156GTA gear, but it is the same:

Alfa romeo 156 / GTA Exhaust, Alfa romeo 156 / GTA Muffler - Mille Miglia - High Quality Performance Exhaust

now i'm wanting to do further upgrades, but want to determine what are the best value parts. i am aiming for both improved sound and improved power, though it doesn't have to be the best in the world! i am factoring in:
*cost: budgeting around AUS$2000; whilst cost comparisons with the UK are difficult, let's just say i want moderately high quality
*availability: preferably easy to obtain locally to me in australia, and not wait 3 months
*ease of fitment: due to time constraints and not wanting to leave my car at a workshop for days/weeks, i am prepared to pay a premium for off-the-shelf premade products that fit; that is, NO custom jobbies

i would say at this point, the actual brands are not my main question. i have in mind to buy further Mille Miglia parts, and probably Arqray, Japan. my question is more about what sections of the exhaust are best bang for buck:
1. headers: given the OE ones have built-in cats, i wonder if they are restrictive; but high quality ones will be extremely expensive (eg: Unicorse); 916 GTV headers?
2. front pipes: are equal-length pipes a good upgrade? looking at Arqray (part 8010FP01)
http://www.arqray.jp/pages/products/...alfa156fp2.jpg
http://www.arqray.jp/pages/products/...-2/euro2-2.jpg
3. high-flow cats: would go with Mille Miglia which are meant to be excellent
http://www.millemiglia.com.au/muffle...-flow_Cats.jpg
4. centre pipe: probably Mille Miglia because i know it will be an exact fit; it is stainless, and straight-through
http://www.millemiglia.com.au/muffle...lfa/HT-011.jpg

at this stage - presuming i can get a good deal on Arqray - i am thinking of new front pipes plus high flow cats. any thoughts on this?

and if i do upgrade the headers in the future, do the GTV versions fit straight on without any mods or clearance issues?

GT . 3.2 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red . Eibach . KONI . ASSO . ATP 19" . TAROX . FERODO . Mille Miglia exhaust
155 . 2.0 8V TS . Grigio Grey - Grey . H&R coilover . Enkei 17" . TAROX . GOODRIDGE . REMUS
75 . 3.0 . Alfa Red - Grey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Re: GT 3.2L - which parts of exhaust to upgrade?

Don't forget you can also use 164 24v manifolds too. These may be pretty easy to come across cheap, especially if you are sourcing parts from the UK and getting them shipped.

This is where I would start personally.
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 22-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

cool. is there any difference between the GTV and 164 24V manifolds? i suspect not - they'd be exactly the same wouldn't they?

and do you know if they are a direct bolt-in replacement for my car?

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Yes they would bolt straight on to the engine - you would need to do something about the lambda sensor for each manifold though, either get the manifolds tapped to accept the lambdas or leave them out and fit voltage clamps. I don't know if they would mate up with the front section though.
(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 23-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
I don't know if they would mate up with the front section though.
^^^ it's something i'm going to have to find out. if i go with some expensive front pipes (that mate to the original manifolds) i want to ensure any replacement ones join up exactly too!

any comments on the actual quality of the GTV/164 manifolds? are they a nice smooth design, with equal length runners?

AO Silver Member

County: Greater London

Personally unless it was an aftermarket manifold/header then I wouldnt bother changing it, Id work on the pipework from either the cat back (there by keeping the cat itself, even replace with a sports cat if available) or from the manifold back and remove the cat altogether.

Depending on the vechile laws where you are depends on wheather the cat goes back on for annual testing of the vechile
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 23-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

thanks. yeah, i would need at least the main cats under the car. unsure about the cats built into the manifolds. our regulations require a cat for sure, but emissions are not tested routinely, if ever.

removing the cats in the manifold would not be obvious to anyone except an alfisti/alfa mechanic.

high flow cats (for under the car) are a definite option, like in my first post. and my initial plan is for new cats + front pipe replacement (between manifold and cats), using equal-length front pipes, as opposed to the unequal length factory pipes. i expect this should surely improve performance.

i'd probably not replace the manifolds at this stage. seems a much bigger job. but it is something i'd like to know about for the future. if money-was-no-object, i'd go with the Unicorse manifolds.

http://www.unicorse.co.jp/new/produc...V6-ex-mani.jpg

i have to research if there is a similarly good but cheaper option to Unicorse. looking at Supersprint though, their manifolds-frontpipe setup doesn't look to be perfectly equal-length. but i guess that would be surprising, and i haven't asked.

http://www.supersprint.com/public/images/26357.jpg

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
32l , exhaust , parts , upgrade

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page