Remap of 159 1.9 jtdm TI - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 30 Old 19-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

150 1.9jtdm ti

Remap of 159 1.9 jtdm TI

Evening all

Joined the forum a few weeks ago. I Have ordered (leased) a 159 1.9JTDMTI in stromboli grey from Mangoletsi. Due for arrival in under 2/52.Currently learning the user manual of in spare time. lol.

Have a fewquestions regarding remapping. Remapping seems like a win win situation regarding performance and from the foums doesnt really drastically affect the fuel economy (In reality it will as you will no doubt floor it more often)

where should i get it from autodelta? red dot? angel tuning? . I know autodelta is the one associated/recommended by mangoletsi. And if I go to one of the others does this make the warranty void.

Should it be done from new or should i break the car in a few thousand miles.

Strange im asking all these questions as i have not test driven any alfa nor owned one. I went for it purely on looks and feel of the inside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Oxfordshire
Re: Remap of 159 1.9 jtdm TI

Hello and welcome to AO!

Im in a similar position to you - Lease 159 arriving Friday next week. Have been checking out the whole map/chip thing for mine also - one of the few threads that may interest you -

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tunin...ore-remap.html

If you do a general search on remap/tune etc. there is plenty to think about....

The summary so far from my perspective:

- I was going to wait 5,000/10,000 miles b4 remap. This is no longer the case - I have asked some more expert friends and there is no need to wait.....
- remap is the best option vs. physical chip
- Red Dot do a ALFA day every once in a while - next one likely to be end of May. During these Alfa days - remap costs c.£180 instead of the usual £300....
- AHM, Angel etc are all very good also - if not more expensive.

This may help for the Alfa day at Red Dot -

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tunin...uning-day.html

"If everybody liked carrots, what would be of the tomatoes?"
(Post Link) post #3 of 30 Old 19-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

150 1.9jtdm ti

cheers for the links. I agree general consensus seems to be to remap rather than chip. I think i will get mine done after around 1000 miles (probably a month, hopefully by the alfa day at red dot). That way ill get an idea of the change made by the remap and any significant effect in fuel economy.

Does this effect the warranty if i dont get it done from autodelta.

Have you had previous experience of remapping?
AO Member

Hi TPX -

My experience of mapping/chipping is fully based on motorbikes - So I guess, although on two wheels, the general idea is still the same. The friends I talk about - have considerable experience with mapping/chipping. One is an engineer for an F1 team, the other used to set up rally cars, and the other is a mechanic (hobby, not by trade). Their thoughts have since been mirrored by comments made on AO.

In reference to warranty - there is little way of ARUK ever knowing that remap was carried out (although not impossible for them to find out - there is little evidence that this is something they look for when deciding if warranty is valid or not).

There are lots of stories on here about people who have needed to use the warranty (after a remap) and have had no issues with either ARUK or other manufacturer.

So in summary; (I like my summaries)

Defunct warranty following re-map;
- Possible - Definetly
- Probable - not really
(Post Link) post #5 of 30 Old 20-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

150 1.9jtdm ti

thanks for the summary lol. Ive sent out emails today to autodelta/reddot and angel tuning re: cost and what i can expect regarding performance. Ill post their replies later.

Let me know when you get your alfa and if i dont beat you to getting the remap let me know how it went.

cheers
Tabz
[email protected]
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

I've been looking into a remap aswell. I emailed mango's about autodelta, specifically the warranty issue. Their reply was that it doesn't invalidate the warranty but if any problems/failures can be linked to the remap then warranty won't cover it.

Also i'm led to believe that its almost impossible to detect a remap so i'm swaying towards Angel as they are slightly cheaper and Alfa won't know about the remap.
AO Silver Member

County: Shropshire

Member car:

GT 3.2V6

Last week there was a thread on this subject with some bloke ranting on a bit, someone said it was mikey pikey, whatever that is? He did raise a point about it the remap being overwritten by Alfa if they do an upgrade at service, would this be the case?
AO Member

Hey Tabz -

I will be trying to get myself on the red dot day (whenever it happens) so will write a review etc of how I find it post remap!

In ref to Mikey Pikey (or whatever), I also followed that thread with some interest. As far as I understand it, he has been banned from AO??? Maybe one of the moderators can shed some light???

In terms of ECU upgrade at the dealer, erasing a re-map; Angel and Red Dot have both mentioned they will re-install if this occurs... (although I think erasing upgrade is unlikely. Have you ever heard of a dealer doing extra work without letting you know first or after?)
(Post Link) post #9 of 30 Old 20-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

150 1.9jtdm ti

Got a call today from Nigel at angel tuning. Nice enough chap. explained the remap process, cost 295 inc vat, 100 squid cheaper than autodelta, who he says put a cheap chinese chip in the car lol.

That price is the same if you go to the garage or if somebody comes to you. If map is erased they reinstall it free. The map is not erased at service only if you develop some engine fault, and they have to reset everything. He said it doesnt invalidate the warranty. Promised increase BHP 40 and 60 lb torque reduce 0-60 to 8 seconds.???

Feldone im still awaiting a response from red dot and will ask them price and red dot day. Will post when i get a response likewise if you find out the red dot day please share, its good to share.
AO Member

Thanks for the info Tabz!

Im also a fan of sharing!!! Thats why im on here i guess!

As soon as I hear anything from Red Dot (in ref to Alfa Days) will post on here. As far as I understand it "Operation Alfa" - an admin on AO has been in communication with Augusto at Red Dot to organise the next Alfa day.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txp112 View Post
Got a call today from Nigel at angel tuning. Nice enough chap. explained the remap process, cost 295 inc vat, 100 squid cheaper than autodelta, who he says put a cheap chinese chip in the car lol.

That price is the same if you go to the garage or if somebody comes to you. If map is erased they reinstall it free. The map is not erased at service only if you develop some engine fault, and they have to reset everything. He said it doesnt invalidate the warranty. Promised increase BHP 40 and 60 lb torque reduce 0-60 to 8 seconds.???

Feldone im still awaiting a response from red dot and will ask them price and red dot day. Will post when i get a response likewise if you find out the red dot day please share, its good to share.

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tunin...ml#post2580787

Looks like the next ALFA day at Red Dot is on the 9th May!
(Post Link) post #12 of 30 Old 21-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

150 1.9jtdm ti

Thanks for the update re dates. I hope there aint 200 alfas parked there and I get a 5 minute remap experience, id prefer the hour and test drive before after and to try different maps, even if this cost more. Here are the replys i got from red dot and angel tuning, hope it answers most of our questions.

RED DOT

For the 159 M-jet we charge £249 + VAT for the re-map carried out on the rolling road with before and after print out.

You will be looking at +45/50bhp and + 55/65 ft/lb torque. The fuel economy will better by 3/5 mpg on the run.

We can send one of our engineer to you to carry out the re-map, but off course no rolling road, it will take approximately 1 Ĺ . The mobile re-mapping service to the Midlands is £249 + VAT.

I would recommend for the re-map to be carried out after the vehicle has covered at least 1000 miles.

The re-map is non detectable by the Main Dealers diagnostic equipment.

ANGEL TUNING

We offer engine remapping, the modern version of chipping which is the correct way to safely tune a modern diesel engine and is not a so called “tuning box” which simply dumps more fuel into the engine. With our ECU remapping you get smooth and progressive power, with improved response, that can be tailored to your requirements. Angel Tuning are able to offer tuning services at your location with our mobile tech team, who are fully equipped with the latest diagnostic equipment as well as a wide range of tuning hardware. Whilst we normally book 1-2 weeks in advance for mobile it depends when you book in as we can often get customers in earlier.

Our charge for the 1.9 16v JTDm is £295.00 including VAT. This price includes the engine tuning work to add up to 40bhp, (60lb ft torque) pre and post testing, acceleration testing and travel to your home or workplace.

We would like to state that we are not the sort of company that tries to get the ultimate extra 1bhp at the expense of drivability just to look good on paper nor do we quote the power figures from a single dyno run set up to achieve a short term burst of power to win your business. We know from vast experience what these cars can take long term and our aim is to achieve the best combination of power, longevity, economy and as mentioned, drivability.

Whilst we are unable to give an accurate figure on the improvement in economy after your car has been tuned, most people get between 2-6mpg improvement on diesel vehicles providing your driving style and the speed you drive at does not change! As the engine is running more efficiently, the emissions are actually improved so there will be no problem at MOT time should you have the car at that point.

The ECU remapping we do is physically and diagnostically undetectable. Of all the cars we do, some 75% are either brand new (i.e. pre delivery for dealerships) or under warranty because of the stealth nature of it. However, we do understand owners concerns, which is why we offer a free* “return to standard” for any owner who is concerned about taking their car into the dealership with the modified mapping on.

ECU remapping is fully reversible, which means if you are unhappy with the results on the day, we will return the car to normal and thank you for trying us. After this, we offer a 14 day "cooling off" period** during which you can at least get the chance to test our work over distance and familiar journeys. If once again you are unhappy for any reason, we can either modify what we have done or indeed return the car to standard and give you a full refund. When you come to sell the vehicle we can return the car to standard for you free of charge****.

Will think of going to Red dot Alfa day when cost is known and what type of experince people have had with it. I dont think my car would have covered 1000 miles by then as recommended by red dot!!
AO Member

Hey Tabz,

Many thanks again for the info!!! Very helpfull. Particularly the 1000 mile recommendation. I would be veryu interested to find out reasons behind this??? Surely there is no difference between 1000 miles or 100 miles??????

I will certainly not have done 1000 miles - Either way - will call them after I book myself in just to double check!

Last edited by Feldone; 21-04-09 at 19:08.
AO Member

Got a PM from Operation Alfa;

Red Dot remap

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

£180 for rolling road session and remap.

£25 for rolling road only..

There will be an event in the South East lounge It will be up later this week.
(Post Link) post #15 of 30 Old 21-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

150 1.9jtdm ti

I dont think Ill be able to get to the Alfa day for several reasons. My main concern is say after the remap the car develops a fault i'd prefer to have it reset to standard map before i take it to the dealers. Just aint got the cash or time to be paying for stuff they may say is damaged by the remap, and warranty doesnt cover it. Angel tuning can offer me the resetting at my home address. secondly, i just want to do a months driving before the tune. Let me how the remap went.

PS where are you leasing from and how long is there turnaround time since the finance was approved. Did you go for a standard TI like me or did you get any extras. I was very tempted to add on electric folding mirrors but they were charging more than the factory price and i couldnt wait 8 weeks for a factory order.

Last edited by txp112; 21-04-09 at 23:15.
AO Member

Quote:
I dont think Ill be able to get to the Alfa day for several reasons. My main concern is say after the remap the car develops a fault i'd prefer to have it reset to standard map before i take it to the dealers. Just aint got the cash or time to be paying for stuff they may say is damaged by the remap, and warranty doesnt cover it. Angel tuning can offer me the resetting at my home address. secondly, i just want to do a months driving before the tune. Let me how the remap went.

PS where are you leasing from and how long is there turnaround time since the finance was approved. Did you go for a standard TI like me or did you get any extras. I was very tempted to add on electric folding mirrors but they were charging more than the factory price and i couldnt wait 8 weeks for a factory order.

Hey Tabz,

Will let you know how the remap goes! In ref to the car; Ive gone for a LIMITED EDITION trim. This was launched with only 250 cars to celebrate the James Bond Film. There are no optional extras with this trim - what you see is what you get.... It comes only in black, only 1.9 JTDm engine, only 19s darkened TI wheels etc... I have included the below link to a thread that discusses all in detail (plus come pics).

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...d-edition.html

I was set to go for the 1.9 JTDm TI but then I saw the LE and it was cheaper!!! Plus it didnt have the nasty gimmicks which the TI comes with; red stiching, side skirts, silver side mirrors *(all of which I didnt like anyway).

I got (what I think) is a fair deal - on £309 + vat for 3 yrs on 15,000 miles per annum with a company called Dynamic (i think thats what they are called) However, they are just brokers - would be worth you giving Fiat Auto Contracts a call. They are the finance company (owned by Fiat Group) that the brokers used - so you could just cut out the middle man and go direct.

In terms of timing - I ordered back in January 09 (only because i like to be prepared) but I only needed the car on 24th April (which is when it arrives).

The fact of the matter is - all 250 LE models have already been produced, so if you order today, I guess it would only take a couple of weeks delivery time post credit check etc. Credit check takes 2-3 days.

Hope this answers all your questions!
AO Member

Just to let you know the Alfa Day at Red Dot is now on the 30th May. Post is in the South East lounge.
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feldone View Post
Plus it didnt have the nasty gimmicks which the TI comes with; red stiching, side skirts, silver side mirrors *(all of which I didnt like anyway).
Gimmicks? Red stitching has been on all the top spec Alfa's for quite a few years now, which is why the LE doesn't have it ......I'll give you gimmicks by gum.
AO Member

County: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by crit71 View Post
Gimmicks? Red stitching has been on all the top spec Alfa's for quite a few years now, which is why the LE doesn't have it ......I'll give you gimmicks by gum.

Hahaha

With respect to LE owners if cost was no issue I find it hard to believe anyone could prefer the LE over the Ti!!
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango Indigo View Post
Hahaha

With respect to LE owners if cost was no issue I find it hard to believe anyone could prefer the LE over the Ti!!
Well - personal preference is a gift heh! (read my signature)

Im personally not a fan of the red stiching. PLUS - I think the blacked out 19s look a million times better than the standard TI wheels!

I have no problems with people who prefer the TI - each to their own and all that.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feldone View Post
Well - personal preference is a gift heh! (read my signature)

Im personally not a fan of the red stiching. PLUS - I think the blacked out 19s look a million times better than the standard TI wheels!

I have no problems with people who prefer the TI - each to their own and all that.
Enjoy your choice!!

At no point did I slate any part of the LE.

You know the saying "if you got nothing nice to say etc" Was it necessary to criticise the ti?

So if as you say you don't like the red stitching then you made the right choice.
Against a black body the shiny ti (not TI) wheels stand out superbly!!
The LE is a Lusso with dirty Ti wheels ps don't take offence as this is a joke. I love the wheels in whatever colour anyone tries to ruin them with

Last edited by Tango India; 21-05-09 at 13:14.
AO Member

Anyway back to the thread!!

Anyone used Angel Tuning in Tunbridge Wells?
They claim to be able to boost the 1.9 jtdm to 195bhp

If it's true then perhaps the car could go as well as it looks
(Post Link) post #23 of 30 Old 21-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

150 1.9jtdm ti

hi Tango indigo

Gettting my 159 TI 1.9JTDM remapped by angel tuning tomorrow will let you know the result!
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear

Quote:
hi Tango indigo

Gettting my 159 TI 1.9JTDM remapped by angel tuning tomorrow will let you know the result!
TXP...you really need to update your Member Car. It just looks wrong on an Alfa forum, lol.
AO Member

Quote:
hi Tango indigo

Look forward to hearing about it
What year is yours and what power are you going for?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
159 , jtdm , remap

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page