How many miles to wait before remap? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 10-04-09 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Feldone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 518
How many miles to wait before remap?

Hey All,

Sorry if this has been asked before (but I couldnt find a specific thread on it).

How many miles would you wait on a brand new car before getting it remapped?

Cheers!
Feldone is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
0of0
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How many miles to wait before remap?

Why wait? & why not buy a more powerful car to start with?
 
(Post Link) post #3 of 16 Old 10-04-09 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Feldone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 518
Re: How many miles to wait before remap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Jon View Post
Why wait? & why not buy a more powerful car to start with?


Huuuum - ok, so the answer on the why wait are two fold;
1. So to stop any possible damage to a yet to be run in engine. (again coming from someone with no experience on remaps - so not sure if applicable)
2. If you have just bought a brand new car, chances are there is no £300 spare for a remap.

Why not buy a more powerful car;

Good question - In the case of the 159 is as follows - the 2.4 vs. 1.9 JTDm million dollar question! i.e. If you are going for a diesel is cos you are looking for economy anyhow. If you bump up from the 1.9 to the 2.4, its like a contradiction in terms... PLUS the 2.4 engine is somewhat heavier than the 1.9 therefore makes sense to buy smaller lighter engine and get it remapped to 185bhp.

"If everybody liked carrots, what would be of the tomatoes?"
Feldone is offline  
Status: 1750TBIecusoftware.. done!.40+bhp
AO Silver Member
 
ALFA TUNER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Merseyside
Posts: 3,480

Member car:

various Alfas

Re: How many miles to wait before remap?

You don't have to wait,i have mapped cars straight after they came from the dealers
ALFA TUNER is offline  
(Post Link) post #5 of 16 Old 10-04-09 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Feldone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 518
Re: How many miles to wait before remap?

Thats good to hear alfa tuner! Was not sure! Therfore - if I understand correctly - no reason to let engine bed in before remap?

PLUS - wouldnt you want to get used to std map in order to appreaciate re-map???
Feldone is offline  
Status: -
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 402
Re: How many miles to wait before remap?

Modern day cars do not need to be run in.
KarmaAlfa is offline  
Status: 1750TBIecusoftware.. done!.40+bhp
AO Silver Member
 
ALFA TUNER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Merseyside
Posts: 3,480

Member car:

various Alfas

Re: How many miles to wait before remap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa159LEApr09 View Post
Thats good to hear alfa tuner! Was not sure! Therfore - if I understand correctly - no reason to let engine bed in before remap?

PLUS - wouldnt you want to get used to std map in order to appreaciate re-map???
Thats true,but what if you already had the same model but say 2 years old,mapped and you just exchanged it for a new standard one,which is very often the case!!
I very often have one of my excisting customers that will buy a new car and bring it straight from the dealers not just for a map,but for suspension ,brakes,etc,because they are so happy with the way their excisting modified car drives.
ALFA TUNER is offline  
0of0
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How many miles to wait before remap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa159LEApr09 View Post
Huuuum - ok, so the answer on the why wait are two fold;
1. So to stop any possible damage to a yet to be run in engine. (again coming from someone with no experience on remaps - so not sure if applicable)
2. If you have just bought a brand new car, chances are there is no £300 spare for a remap.

Why not buy a more powerful car;

Good question - In the case of the 159 is as follows - the 2.4 vs. 1.9 JTDm million dollar question! i.e. If you are going for a diesel is cos you are looking for economy anyhow. If you bump up from the 1.9 to the 2.4, its like a contradiction in terms... PLUS the 2.4 engine is somewhat heavier than the 1.9 therefore makes sense to buy smaller lighter engine and get it remapped to 185bhp.
Good answer , I wasn't thinking of the 'economics' sorry

Enjoy (maps work best for diesels)
 
(Post Link) post #9 of 16 Old 10-04-09 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Feldone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 518
Re: How many miles to wait before remap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Jon View Post
Good answer , I wasn't thinking of the 'economics' sorry

Enjoy (maps work best for diesels)
Thanks!!!!! My first investment will be on an amplifier for stereo.... (im not a hoodie by the way, I just enjoy good quality audio)
Feldone is offline  
happy man
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How many miles to wait before remap?

Yes they do and I'm very very Happy with the map I've got from Gus on the GT I can reccomend him
 
(Post Link) post #11 of 16 Old 10-04-09 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Feldone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 518
Re: How many miles to wait before remap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy man View Post
Yes they do and I'm very very Happy with the map I've got from Gus on the GT I can reccomend him
Unfortunately (or fortunately - not wanting to go off thread) I live in the south - so looking at possibly Red Dot.....

Will probably wait for an Alfa day though - cos the discounted prices of the Alfa day sounds more appealing than paying full wack....
Feldone is offline  
happy man
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How many miles to wait before remap?

I personally would go with a Custom map rather than a Generic
 
Status: -
AO Member
 
Yaninnya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Jersey
County: -
Posts: 163
Re: How many miles to wait before remap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa159LEApr09 View Post
How many miles would you wait on a brand new car before getting it remapped?
How far is from the dealer which sold the car to the company which will map your car? That will be the distance.
Jan
Yaninnya is offline  
(Post Link) post #14 of 16 Old 10-04-09 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Feldone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 518
Re: How many miles to wait before remap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaninnya View Post
How far is from the dealer which sold the car to the company which will map your car? That will be the distance.
Jan
Nice!
Feldone is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Perth and Kinross
Posts: 253
Re: How many miles to wait before remap?

Watz this all about? Is this "maping" something I should be doing? Ma big diesel performes well anyway.Tell me about it.....
Alphataurus is offline  
Status: -
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 22
Re: How many miles to wait before remap?

My GT 3.2 V6 is beautiful and powerful but very, very thirsty. Even driving with a light foot I dont get anything better than 12L/100km. Heaven help me if I'm too frisky with the power because it jumps to 17L/100km. Alfa workshops says the consumption according to their computers is within spec. Will using a piggy-back chip solve this problem or would remapping be a better alternative. Any ideas? Bought the car for its power so would not want to compromise if possible.
MilanoSnake is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
miles , remap , wait

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome