Steinbauer P Box - Warranty Issues - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 06-04-09 Thread Starter

Steinbauer P Box - Warranty Issues

I own a 159 1.9JTDm and was considering having a Steinbauer P Box fitted.
My car is still under warranty and I do not want to invalidate this by tinkering with the car.
I have read a lot of posts on AO regarding this P Box and have also checked out the manufactures website.
I got the impression from reading both that fitting this box would not interfere with the cars warranty.
As I am based in Northern Ireland I contacted Mervyn Stewarts garage in Belfast who are an authorised Alfa Romeo Dealer and asked them if they would fit the box for me, I was told that they would not fit the box to my car as it would definately invalidate the warranty.
Does anyone know if they are right ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Re: Steinbauer P Box - Warranty Issues

Its a very grey area, some dealers will sell cars remapped and warrantied so why MS aren;t happy about the P Box is entirely down to them really.

IF you had a warranty repair that wasn;t anything to do with engine performance you might get away with it but it's basically a get out of jail free card for any dealer, and in this climate they would probably use it.
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

alfa gt

Hi,

I have a Steinbauer P box that was fitted to my 07 GT 1.9 jtdm I have sadly had to take it off the car as for work purposes I need to Insure my car any driver over 25.

Unfortunately our group insurance company is Zurich and they wanted an extra £240 for the P Box.

I had to declare it as should one of my colleuges wrap the car round a lamp post then I would not be insured and would almost certainly lose my job.

The box was supplied by Auto Lusso. their boxes do not have the accelartor wire fitted so it takes literally 5 minutes to install.

I was looking at sticking it on ebay at the weekend for £275 or best offer if you are interested,

It is an awsome piece of kit and 5 minutes before seeing the dealer it would be off the car so they would never know? it is also adjustable I only had it set at 100% which was faultless but you can adjust up to 130% and down to 70%!
(Post Link) post #4 of 14 Old 16-04-09 Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies. After careful consideration I have decided to go down the remap route with Angel Tuning.
(Post Link) post #5 of 14 Old 26-04-09 Thread Starter

Hi folks

Just for your info (esp if you live in N Ireland/Ireland), I got my 159 JTDM 1.9 remapped yesterday by Colin from Angel Tuning, Cookstown. After a short drive yesterday evening and a fairly long drive today, to say I am impressed with the result would be an understatement.
Loads of torque and lift....what else could a man ask for !!!
Telephoned Colin on Friday evening and he was with me on Saturday afternoon, punctual right to the exact minute. He fully explained what he was going to do , he then took my car for a short run, remapped the car and then took it for a last test run. All in all it only took an hour from start to finish and the result is fantastic.
If you have doubts about a remap, take my advice - get it done, money well spent !!
AO Silver Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

various Alfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcc33 View Post
Hi folks

Just for your info (esp if you live in N Ireland/Ireland), I got my 159 JTDM 1.9 remapped yesterday by Colin from Angel Tuning, Cookstown. After a short drive yesterday evening and a fairly long drive today, to say I am impressed with the result would be an understatement.
Loads of torque and lift....what else could a man ask for !!!
Telephoned Colin on Friday evening and he was with me on Saturday afternoon, punctual right to the exact minute. He fully explained what he was going to do , he then took my car for a short run, remapped the car and then took it for a last test run. All in all it only took an hour from start to finish and the result is fantastic.
If you have doubts about a remap, take my advice - get it done, money well spent !!
Amazing it takes most Flash tools between 45-50 minutes to read the file of the edc16-39 ecu in a jtdm 159 and then a tuner needs some time to modify the file,then a few minutes to write it back to the ecu,a few minutes for road tests before and after,shall we say a total 2.5 hours for an average job and this guy did it all in an hour??? Ouaou
(Post Link) post #7 of 14 Old 26-04-09 Thread Starter

Don't understand "Amazing"??, is it a polite way of saying that I am lying ?

approx 5 mins test drive at beginning.
approx 40 mins to read file.
approx 10 minutes to modify file.
approx 3 mins to reinstall file
approx 5 mins test drive at end.

What should he have been doing for the missing 1.5hrs ??

Sorry, looks like it was over an hour by approx 3mins.

I only entered the above information to "share my experience" and to "participate" in this forum.

I do not understand what your problem is ??

I am not affilliated or connected in any manner or form to Angel Tuning. The first contact I had with them was on Friday afternoon when booking a remap ( after reading about Angel Tuning on this forum ).
I do not know Colin the technician and have never met him before and in all probability will never meet him again !
Why should I lie ?
I am completely confused.
Is it because you are connected with a company that does remaps and it takes your company 2.5hrs ?
AO Silver Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

various Alfas

No,not for a moment did i think you were lying,just "amazing "how quick they did it.
AHM
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Hampshire

Member car:

alfa 33 2.0 race

Takes me 45 mins to read 159 JTD edc 16
so by the time we have checked for diag fault codes etc
road tested the car before and after
modifed the file etc etc takes 2 hours
may be they are just sticking a modified file
in with out reading the org file ?
(Post Link) post #10 of 14 Old 27-04-09 Thread Starter

When the file was downloaded from my cars ECU to Colins laptop it was then sent, per broadband, to one of Colins Angel Tuning colleagues in the UK for modification.
The file was then returned and installed on my car which only took approx 1-2mins to install.
After a 5 min test drive the procedure was complete with no further tweeking required.
AO Member

County: South Ayrshire

Firstly,

A big thank you to emcc33 for your business and kind words. I hope you found our tuning service to your expectations and continue to enjoy the benefits that our software gives your 159. I also hope you were happy with the service you received from Colin and I'm pleased that we have so many other satisfied customers on this forum.

When the ECU was identified at the beginning of the process and the info sent through to us at HO, we knew exactly what software was on the car as we have done many with this software build before and have all the originals already. The modified file was already being created for the customer while the original software was backed up (the 45 minute read).

When the software had completed its backup and was sent, it was checked for any changes (and of course there were none as the advanced equipment we use gives us all the details including homologation and checksum) and the modified map was then sent for loading.

So, through team effort it took an hour, actual time by two people, maybe an hour and 45 minutes. Hope that explains why as a 'bigger' company we can do things a bit quicker in a lot of cases.

This is not being posted for an argument of what is the best practise by tuning companies, we all have our different ways of doing things, but we do ask that other companies concentrate on promoting their own work, rather than criticising another companies work be it us or anyone elses

Hope this helps,

Paul.
Angel Tuning

Last edited by Veloce Auto; 28-04-09 at 12:28.
(Post Link) post #12 of 14 Old 28-04-09 Thread Starter

Hi Paul

Thank you for entering this discussion........I was starting to question my sanity.
I did however think it was a case of trying to undermine my comments about Angel Tuning in a bid to better themselves
As I said before, I am not connected with Angel Tuning in any manner but believe that praise should be given when due.
I will not hesitate to recommend Angel Tuning to my friends in the future
AO Member

County: South Ayrshire

Thank you very much again

Paul.
AO Member

County: Tyne and Wear

i am glad to read good reccommendations and will get my brera 2.4 done by angel

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
box , issues , steinbauer , warranty

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page