1.9 JTDM remap done - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 27 Old 29-03-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Greater London
Well Happy 1.9 JTDM remap done

Greetings. Those nice chaps at Angel Tuning did a remap of my car last Thursday and I have to say I'm amazed how much the driving experience has changed for the better.

I've been trying to drive as much as I can but so far anyway the main impression is one of smootheness through the rev range with power delivered for longer in the gears.

Previously, I always felt I had to be on top of the car with power coming through in large lumps and gear changes coming quickly. Now the car behaves more like a petrol with less pressure to change up.

And there is plainly more power and oomph. Floor the accelerator in third and it seems to me that it picks up much more quickly than it used to. Needs watching too. Very easy to find yourself doing 100 mph before you know it. (I didn't mean to, officer. Honest.)

I wasn't looking for ludicrous power gain but I'm happy with what I've received. It was improved driveability that I was looking for and that has been a great success. More power and more refined.

I always enjoyed driving the 159 before but now it's going to be very difficult to keep me out of it! Best regards.

Joe

Get ready for the Saturday night...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

kgb
AO Silver Member

County: -
Re: 1.9 JTDM remap done

Another happy JTD owner
AO Platinum Member

Good to hear!

I had my 159 1.9JTDm re-mapped by Gus at Alfatuning last week, and I am having the same experience as JoeO. In fact I would say it's a totally different car. It took an hour for the original car map to be read, then he tweaked all the parameters (not the turbo boast), and while he was at it did 2 different maps. He came with me around the block for the first one, and that put a smile on my face, but he insisted that I tried the second map, the difference was astonishing. Things are just so much smoother, with lower down torque, it wants to go, it picks up from 1500rpm in 6th, fuel consumption is better (but still checking) mpg to St Helens 37.4, straight home (Lincs) 44.4 on the computer. (it's nearly all m/way).
I'm really please I'v had it done, and recommend Gus anytime, I like his philosophy, and he knows what he's talking about - even rang me a couple of days later just to make sure everything was okay.
contact for Gus 01744-25499.
AO Platinum Member

Guys, forget using the computer for the MPG from now on.
For whatever reason a remap/power box will knock it out by a good 5-6mpg or more
The only true way of testing your average MPG is full tank to tank and working it out from there. It's the only drawback Ive found with 'tinkering' with the JTDm's

Enjoy the ride though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
For whatever reason a remap/power box will knock it out by a good 5-6mpg or more
The only true way of testing your average MPG is full tank to tank and working it out from there. It's the only drawback Ive found with 'tinkering' with the JTDm's

Enjoy the ride though
Thanks will bare that in mind and check tank2tank
(Post Link) post #7 of 27 Old 30-03-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:

Enjoy the ride though
Thanks for that. I was never very keen on relying on the computer in any case. Will do some figures from the next time I fill her up and report back.

On that subject, about five years ago, I seem to remember there was a little programme knocking around that calculated mpg. Maths not my strong suit at all! Anyone know where I could find such a thing. I know it's lazy ... but it was also a good way of storing the data. Honest.

Joe
AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

The computer in a standard tune 159 is exceptionally accurate, but Hunter's right, remapping or box screws it up.
AO Member

County: Norfolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeO View Post

On that subject, about five years ago, I seem to remember there was a little programme knocking around that calculated mpg. Maths not my strong suit at all! Anyone know where I could find such a thing. I know it's lazy ... but it was also a good way of storing the data. Honest.

Joe
fill your tank to the brim and make a note of the milage or reset your trip. use car then fill it back up to the brim, divide the miles by the litres and multiply by 4.546

example 500 miles 50 litres of fuel = 10 miles per litre x 4.546 = 45.46 mpg
(Post Link) post #10 of 27 Old 30-03-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AValfaTi View Post
fill your tank to the brim and make a note of the milage or reset your trip. use car then fill it back up to the brim, divide the miles by the litres and multiply by 4.546

example 500 miles 50 litres of fuel = 10 miles per litre x 4.546 = 45.46 mpg
Oh no! I can feel an Excel spreadsheet coming on!

Thanks for that. Bests.
AO Silver Member

Quote:

Enjoy the ride though
Not always though. After my map, my computer is around the same accuracy as before - within about 1.5mpg of actual brim to brim. In fact, it may be about 0.5mpg more accurate as I occassionally used to get results 2.0 mpgs out before the map.

It may be that different maps have different effects on the computer.
AO Silver Member

Well mine is not remaped and when I compare my brim-to-brim calculations to average consumption on the board computer I allways get around 10-15% higher value than the one on the computer...

So I guess it is not only remaping that faults the board computer

County: West Lothian

Member car:

GT 1.9JTD

Try this:
Calculate your Mileage Online!
AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Hi Joe,

I'm getting my 147 Ducati remapped on tuesday, what sort of increases did you get on your 1.9 JTDM engine? (as its the same engine as mine!)

Regards,
Mark
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex

Anyone had a remap done by Monza Sport in West Sussex?
AO Member

Member car:

500 Abarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfared159 View Post
Anyone had a remap done by Monza Sport in West Sussex?
Been doing Alfas for a long time...I'm sure they can remap your car as well as others .

If they are local to you ...go for it!...not difficult to remap a diesel and get decent power .
(Post Link) post #17 of 27 Old 21-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEJD View Post
Hi Joe,

I'm getting my 147 Ducati remapped on tuesday, what sort of increases did you get on your 1.9 JTDM engine? (as its the same engine as mine!)

Regards,
Mark
Hello Mark. Apols for the delay in replying but I've been in Spain. Drove a horrible Focus diesel hire car. Like driving a sponge! Reminded me how good to drive my Alfa is!

So, on the subject of the remap, the horses were raised by 35 although I'm not that bothered by the numbers, it's how it's delivered that I'm most impressed by. Much more smoothly is the answer without the lumps of power in the original.

That's not to say that the extra power isn't welcome! It is. Did you get your car done. How did it go? Regards.

Joe
AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Quote:
Hello Mark. Apols for the delay in replying but I've been in Spain. Drove a horrible Focus diesel hire car. Like driving a sponge! Reminded me how good to drive my Alfa is!

So, on the subject of the remap, the horses were raised by 35 although I'm not that bothered by the numbers, it's how it's delivered that I'm most impressed by. Much more smoothly is the answer without the lumps of power in the original.

That's not to say that the extra power isn't welcome! It is. Did you get your car done. How did it go? Regards.

Joe
Hi Joe,

Hope you enjoyed your time in Spain (aprt from the Focus of course ) Got my Alfa remapped last week, got about 30 bhp increase and 60 lbft increase in torque.

I agree with you in that the power delivery is much better, it pulls really well up to about 3500 rpm and then everything goes very very blurry after that, when the horsepower takes over from the torque!

In real world terms, it means that when I want to overtake (for example) I don't have to worry about changing down as I know the car will pick up and go.

For those that are interested, BHP (on the rolling road) went from 174 up to 202 (which is about 16% increase) and toque went up form 253 lbft to 316 lbft (almost a 25% increase!)

Regards,
Mark

Looky Looky Re: 1.9 JTDM remap done

How much did it cost JoeO?

Quote:
Greetings. Those nice chaps at Angel Tuning did a remap of my car last Thursday and I have to say I'm amazed how much the driving experience has changed for the better.

I've been trying to drive as much as I can but so far anyway the main impression is one of smootheness through the rev range with power delivered for longer in the gears.

Previously, I always felt I had to be on top of the car with power coming through in large lumps and gear changes coming quickly. Now the car behaves more like a petrol with less pressure to change up.

And there is plainly more power and oomph. Floor the accelerator in third and it seems to me that it picks up much more quickly than it used to. Needs watching too. Very easy to find yourself doing 100 mph before you know it. (I didn't mean to, officer. Honest.)

I wasn't looking for ludicrous power gain but I'm happy with what I've received. It was improved driveability that I was looking for and that has been a great success. More power and more refined.

I always enjoyed driving the 159 before but now it's going to be very difficult to keep me out of it! Best regards.

Joe
(Post Link) post #20 of 27 Old 22-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT_Birmingham View Post
How much did it cost JoeO?
Hi there. It costs £295 inc vat. They come to you and it's all very simple. In my case, I think it's money very well spent because it has become a much better car to drive. In fact, I can't really undestand why the factory doesn't produce them like this to start with. Regards.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
In fact, I can't really undestand why the factory doesn't produce them like this to start with. Regards.
Emissions, then the ability to tolerate low quality fuel as found in places like South Africa, followed by component durability. In a nutshell

South Africa is to blame!

£300 sounds like a lot of money to me......Do you think they would do me a discount?
CJO
AO Silver Member

County: Bedfordshire

I think that Red Dot charge about £180 (or have on previous tuning days) - Check out the London and South East events page for more details - I think that their next on is May 9th (?)
Dibby

Same experince with my Angel map, power delivery is a lot smoother and goes on for longer, it revs free'er and easy to hit the red line.

As people have been saying, forget the computer for mpg readings after a map. Mine improved by 1-2 mpg as I do mainly motorway driving and the power on hand is totally different to the standard factory map ... but then fuel economy is mostly down to how you drive, not what you drive.

Been running mine for over a year now and from now on I'll be getting every car I own remapped if this is the result. The clutch was on its way out when the map was done, a year later it's now on its last legs so time for an uprated clutch to hold all the torques together.

All in all, very impressed with it

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
jtdm , remap

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page