Any ideas why? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

fed-up

Any ideas why?

I have already posted this on the 159 board, but no answer yet.

I picked up a 159 sportwagon from a main dealer last week and when I opened the bonnet found this.

It's a 07 159 2.4 JTD auto with 22k miles.

The engine cover has been deliberately cut, possible to accommodate some sort of extra.

There is evidence of extensive work to the engine, all the hoses have been dismantled and not put back right. Also there appears to have been some welding to the main induction pipe to the right of the engine. The intector pipes have been labelled up with teir numbers.

We're not talking an old banger - it's a 2 year old car from a main dealer, apparently with full service history.

I just can't work out why.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alfaengine.jpg (49.9 KB, 47 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

Alfa 156 v6

Re: Any ideas why?

When you say "picked up" I presume you mean bought, not that you took it in for repair and that is what had been done to it. I also presume that you are a private customer and not a dealer in traded in cars buying them from main dealers.
You have the right to reject the goods (the car) under the Trades Description act if the goods have not been properly described, that means that the dealer must describe the car properly both in the way he applies the description and the way he does not, in other words the T.D. act covers acts both of commission and ommission. A simple example of ommission would be an antique dealer who purchased (cheaply) an item from a member of the public without telling them the real value and then went on to re-sell it for a massive profit.
However, you too have a duty to ensure that you have properly checked the goods before purchase, they have a defence of stating that you were allowed to inspect the vehicle and reject it before purchase. Normally you would be able to counter this type of defence by claiming that a "reasonable" person could not have been expected to notice the fault (eg if the incorrect brake fluid was in the reservoir but the brakes appeared to work, as a reasonable person you would not be expected to know that to be the case as you would need to have the fluid chemically analysed). Your problem here seems to be that the "faults" were immediately visible as soon as you opened the bonnet. Why didn't you look under the bonnet before you bought the car? That's the way their lawyer will put it.
The sale of goods act gives you further rights, goods must be of a merchantable quality and give reasonable length of service, dealers can no longer hide behind a "sold as seen" escape clause but are required to warrant the goods they sell for a period of 6 months.
You should return to the dealer as soon as possible and ask them about the problem, maybe they didn't know about it (1st excuse), maybe they thought it didn't make a difference to the condition (2nd excuse), maybe they thought you should have looked at it properly and assumed that you accepted it (shifts the blame back to you). If you are a member of the AA/RAC contact them for an inspection and advice. If not contact your local trading standards department.
If you purchased the car using a hire purchase agreement or credit card then the finance company is responsible and you have a chance to have the agreement revoked and the payment refunded.
Remember that the law requires you to act reasonably, you can't sue them if you haven't told them about your complaint, so your first action should be to get it independently checked, then return to the dealer and complain in writing. Give them the opportunity to rectify the problem within a reasonable time. If their response is negative then proceed as advised by the AA etc.
Also remember to add a heading to all your correspondence with them E&OE (means errors and ommissions excepted) and to accept in writing any "repairs" or modifications, substitutions "without prejudice" so that you retain your rights to reject the car if it is still faulty.
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09

County: Victoria

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

err, yeah, i'm dumbfounded that you didn't check it first. i can only presume there is more to the story than you have so far been able to tell us. so i'm curious to hear more.

if the cover was modified, then it's a pretty poor effort - cracked and everything. so i'm wondering if, instead, the cover has simply been smashed; perhaps something was dropped onto it. or perhaps a better explanation is that the car has had an engine transplant for some reason; and the engine was sitting out of the car and the plastic cover damaged at that time. who knows.

GT . 3.2 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red . Eibach . KONI . ASSO . ATP 19" . TAROX . FERODO . Mille Miglia exhaust
155 . 2.0 8V TS . Grigio Grey - Grey . H&R coilover . Enkei 17" . TAROX . GOODRIDGE . REMUS
75 . 3.0 . Alfa Red - Grey
AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire

It doesn't look to me as though the engine cover has been cut - just broken, maybe unintentionally. However, I'd be very wary of a dealer who is happy to present a car in that condition.

Yet another example of Alfa's poor quality standards?
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

SPIDER

Don,t even look at it. Take it back to dealer and demand a full explaination!

bizarre, let us know what the dealer said.
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

The fractured areas are a mixture of peculiar shapes, so I'll hedge bets with shiny car. Trodden on, or partly driven over?
fed-up

Just to explain, this is a replacement vehicle for a lemon which has so many faults that Alfa put some money in for me to swap it. And this is what I have now!

I had to agree to have this by phone - it was at the other end of the country. I ws told by the main dealer that everything was exactly as it should be with this car and it suited me to believe them. I am sure I can reject it, but providing the problems are sorted an I get a reasonable explanation then I would much prefer to keep it. There are other threads going about my ongoing problems, see "never ever again" in the 159 forum.

It has definately been cut

AO Member

County: Durham

I have been reading the epic read in the other thread.

So let me get this right....... After all that you have endured with your last 159, why oh why in god's name did you not learn by your mistake...?
I'm sorry if this offends, but if it was me, regardless if it was down "the other end of the country" I would want to go through the car with a fine tooth comb first!!! Hell I would make them also agree to pay for my time and expenses incurred to view it! But maybe that's just me!
I mean come on, these guys at Alfa UK are seeing you coming a mile off m8.
In the words of my dear old Grandad... "Don't buy an Alfa son if you aren't even prepared to open the bonnet to find out why it won't go and fix it" spring to mind!
Sorry once again

Yessssss! Nero black, Black momo leather, sunroof and air con in a 156 2.0 twin spark..... = Heaven, pure heaven

Anyone can give advice on cars like "replace this part, replace that"... Start with the simplest solution and then work your way through it logically... Its a hell of a lot easier and cheaper!

Fed-up, your name says it all!? i would be if i was you & had the same experiences of the last two Alfas you have owned.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fed-up View Post
That is obviously broken.
There is a big crack on top...
AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by fed-up View Post
I'd say it's been broken - probably trodden on, as shiny_car said - & the broken bit that was hanging loose cut off to 'tidy' it up.
fed-up

Quote:
I'd say it's been broken
NO!

It has hack saw marks on it. It is cracked as well, probably because it has been weakened. There's even evidence of an attempt to stick it back together along the cracked bit.

Definitely been cut along the entire edge of the missing section.

AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Perhaps they tried to fit it to another machine? I suppose it could of split when they attemped to hacksaw it. Bit of a puzzle really?
AO Platinum Member

Either way it is very obviously broken now and would have been spotted straight away as as soon as you opened the bonnet while checking the car.

You did check it over before leaving with it didn't you...?
fed-up

Yes it was a strange way to get car - I have had an epic battle with ARUK over my last car. There's a lengthy thread running in the 159 forum about that. But I am actually happy with the way it's heading.

However, I'm happy that I've done everything right, and by agreeing everything by phone (and paying by phone, it is up to the dealer to sort it out). The dealer now has to put everything right at their expense, which is what they are going to do, so I am in a much better position than if I had started tyre kicking and getting 50 quid off or walking away. I it all goes wrong, there is the 30 day no quibble exchange policy.

At least it has got me out of the awful lemon I had which cannot be a bad thing.

I am just curious to know what this engine cover has been cut for. Performance chip? Tuning box? Tracker? Nitro kit? Aux heater?
Any ideas yet?

floor stand!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
ideas

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page