whose got 18" alloys - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 24 Old 06-02-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

EP3 Type R

whose got 18" alloys

im gonna be fitting a set of 18s soon, the ones i am looking at are 8 x 18
et35 with 225/40/18 tyres.......my car currently has 17" alloys with the koni sport kit.
question is will i have any fitting issues, will the ride be terrible?? infact i know the ride will be worse, but that aint gonna put me off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

alfa gt

Re: whose got 18" alloys

Hello i am currently running 18" alloys on my gt and i have just lowered it on apex springs and the ride comfort is the same .
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

147 gta

i ordered some apex springs of ebay.. but took ages to come so cancelled them...
how do they affect the ride quality and visually, is your car now noticeably lower..?
AO Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

alfa gt

it sits just right a nice gap in the arches just as smooth as before and goas over speed bumps without scraping and handles really well .
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

I ve got 18s with Eibachs, the ride is way BETTER, partly because the 18s are much lighter than the 17" selespeeds I had before, lowering unsprung weight
(Post Link) post #6 of 24 Old 07-02-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

EP3 Type R

Quote:
Originally Posted by typos1 View Post
I ve got 18s with Eibachs, the ride is way BETTER, partly because the 18s are much lighter than the 17" selespeeds I had before, lowering unsprung weight
is that on a 156? any rubbing issues?
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 147

Iv got 18" on a 147, lowered 65mm, i started on 225/40x18's but had to change to 215/40x18's due to scrubbing...
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Got no rubbing issues with my 225/40s, but mine is lowered 30mm and Adski's is lowered 65mm, hence the rubbing. If they fit a 147 then they ll fit a 156. How much do the Konis lower it?
AO Gold Member

County: West Yorkshire

Both the Brera & the GT have 18's
AO Member

County: Lancashire

GT Offside front can catch the inner lining and it sounds like a thud when you hit a bump. Inner lining on mine was shaved.

afaik the Brera's PCD is 110mm where the 156s is 98mm so they won;t fit. the gT should be ok
(Post Link) post #12 of 24 Old 08-02-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

EP3 Type R

cheers everyone, i ended up doing a search and it seems that some go on no probs and others have to grind/roll the arches....suppose its all to do with the offset of the wheel and how low you go.
konis lower it 40mm by the way
AO Member

Got 18's with 225/40's on standard sportspack suspension. Handling is excellent if road is smooth. Very twitchy on bumpy surfaces. Crashes through sunken manhole covers and ruts etc. Have replaced 2 wheels due to pot hole damage. I drove a 58 plate 147 on 17's last week and ride was much nicer with no real noticable difference in cornering. I think 18's look better but if you roads are really [email protected] where you live you might wish you'd stuck with 17's.
(Post Link) post #14 of 24 Old 10-02-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

EP3 Type R

the roads round my way used to be pretty good, but they are starting to get bad in areas, this morning i lost count of the potholes on my way into work, they seem to be more bothered about putting speed bumps in than keeping the roads in order...........................
mind is set on 18s now though, cant wait.

County: Etela-Suomen Laani

Member car:

147 1,9JTD 16V

Hi,
I have a 2005 147 1,9 JTD with genuine Alfa 18" wheels (model Ducati Corse, the car itself is not "DC" so it has standard springs) with 225/40 tyres. I am planning to lower the car by 35-40 mm. Does anyone have any experience of a similar setting, will there be any rubbing problems?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Yep, as I ve said above, mine is a JTD 16v lowered 30mm (Eibachs) and on 225/40 18s-No probs at all

Member car:

147 1,9JTD 16V

Quote:
Yep, as I ve said above, mine is a JTD 16v lowered 30mm (Eibachs) and on 225/40 18s-No probs at all
Thanks I went through the previous posts quickly and wasn't sure if your car was a 147. well, that's good news anyway.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Lol, no probs!

147/156/GT are all the same cars just with different bodies and/or wheelbases, so what appplies to one applies to all 3 on most cases

Member car:

147 1,9JTD 16V

Quote:
Lol, no probs!

147/156/GT are all the same cars just with different bodies and/or wheelbases, so what appplies to one applies to all 3 on most cases
My thinking was, that in some cases in cars which share platforms, a lot of parts can be shared, but there can still be rubbing problems in one model with a certain wheel size, while no problems in other because the outer body panels are different, and in some cases also the body panels inside wheelarches. Anyway, the key is I can lower my baby without nasty rubbing issues
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

It depends on the cars really, but the 147/156/GT are very very closely related, much more so than a Golf or an A3 really. The GT for instance is just a 147 with a lower roofline, a different rear and built on the 156 Sportwagon wheelbase, it shares the bonnet, front wings, lower doors and door mirrors with the 147 GTA as well as all the oily bits and the dash. As for lowering go ahead, like I say I ve got 225/40 18s on my 147 and it handles AND rides way better than before with no rubbing issues at all. I had the 17" sillyspeed alloys before which are very very heavy-my 18s are drastically lighter so it bangs and crashes much less over bumps on the 18s. I m talking bout a 30mm drop so cant comment on what anything lower would do, but there are people on here with 40 or 50 mm drops who say thats fine also

Member car:

147 1,9JTD 16V

Quote:
As for lowering go ahead, like I say I ve got 225/40 18s on my 147 and it handles AND rides way better than before with no rubbing issues at all. I had the 17" sillyspeed alloys before which are very very heavy-my 18s are drastically lighter so it bangs and crashes much less over bumps on the 18s. I m talking bout a 30mm drop so cant comment on what anything lower would do, but there are people on here with 40 or 50 mm drops who say thats fine also
When I bought my 147 it had standard 16" with fat tyres, and the ride was somewhat disappointing: on a bit harder cornering the body did strange, sudden movements, kind of sideways. it always had pretty good grip (apart from the front being very slippery on wet) so the grip wasn't an issue, but the odd body movements were annoying. Now I got those 18" things on, and they're quite light for 18", the ride is SO MUCH better already. Typos1, do you know if they softened the 147 suspension for the facelift? I've never driven the first generation but to me my 2nd gen feels surprisingly soft for an Alfa. Definitely too soft to my taste. but like I said, the 18" wheels improved even that feel quite a bit, now it's clearly more firm and when u drivb it u feel you know where the car is going. could use some stiffer stuff still.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

I think they did revise the spring rates a little, I didnt think they were softened though. What you need is a set of Eibachs to sort it out!

Member car:

147 1,9JTD 16V

Quote:
I think they did revise the spring rates a little, I didnt think they were softened though. What you need is a set of Eibachs to sort it out!
which takes us to the next question.. if all I'm gonna do is to get a new set of springs, what's the difference between a set of PIs or Apex springs (Apexii ) in comparison to Eibachs? Are the Eibachs really gonna make that big a difference compared to the cheaper ones mentioned here? What IS the main difference between Eibachs and, say PIs?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Just made by different companies so the spring rates will be different. Trouble is you cant test em on your car before you buy. Apex and PI might be good they might not but Eibach have an incredibly good reputation. Theyre only about 120 GBP anyway

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
alloys , whose got 18

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page