DeCiSIoN TiMe> FSD or B8's ???? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 46 Old 31-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Wave DeCiSIoN TiMe> FSD or B8's ????

I know it's been talked about alot lately but i am ready to purchase new suspension for my 156... and i can't decide

Currently my suspension is stock; wallowy, crashy and uncomfortable but still a nice drive

I am def getting the Eibach Pro-kit springs (lower 30mm)..

I am still undecided what damper to team them with.. the Koni FSD or the Bilstein B8's?

Now i have 2 kids who frequent the backseat and my girl who drives alot also...(who seems to drive 'sportier' than me most of the time)

The FSD's get talked about alot but can someone give me a idea of comfort/ride/sportiness of the b8 & Eibach combo in comparison to stock? or in comparison to the FSD ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 46 Old 01-02-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Re: DeCiSIoN TiMe> FSD or B8's ????

Bump..
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09

County: Victoria

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

i have used KONI Sport and Bilstein B6 dampers, but not FSD (B6 are exactly the same as B8 except not short-stroke).

i have B6 on my 155. whilst the suspension design is completely different to the 156, i still consider them a little too stiff/hard on the 'compression', and a little too underdamped on 'rebound'...for my tastes. i fitted them for 'something different', to experience Bilsteins.

KONI Sport i've used on many cars, including my current GT. but also my previous 156 TS. both cars with Eibach Pro Kit, and i really, really like them. the Sport are meant to be slightly less 'comfortable' than the FSD, yet i find them very acceptable...for my tastes. given FSD are 'more comfortable' i think they should be great in this regard. but my impression is that they are less firm/sporty/performance-orientated than Sport, so are a compromise biased slightly towards comfort and less towards performance compared with the Sport items. i cannot confirm this though, cos i've never tried FSD.

i think if you are wanting comfort with some added sportiness, FSD is the way to go. i would expect Bilstein to be a bit stiffer (i've also heard similar opinions from other people, with various types of cars).

if you wish to save a bit of money compared with FSD, and would be happy with slightly more sportiness and slightly less comfort, consider KONI Sport.

GT . 3.2 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red . Eibach . KONI . ASSO . ATP 19" . TAROX . FERODO . Mille Miglia exhaust
155 . 2.0 8V TS . Grigio Grey - Grey . H&R coilover . Enkei 17" . TAROX . GOODRIDGE . REMUS
75 . 3.0 . Alfa Red - Grey
AO Gold Member

Go for the FSD. They will give you the handling of the Koni Sport 'adjustables' with a better ride...
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/tests/koni_fsd.jsp

there is another option from High Performance Car Parts, Koni Suspension Kits, K And N Filters, Alloy Wheels - larkspeed.com

Koni STR's .... almost 1/2 the price
AO Member

To be honest, the B8 is no brainer in my book.
Jan
AO Member

County: Queensland

Very happy with my B8s (w/ Eibachs).

Ride is a bit choppy at low speeds (much better than the stock setup tho), however the faster you go the more you notice the benefit. Body control at higher speeds is spot on.
(Post Link) post #8 of 46 Old 02-02-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks so far guys..

O.k i am getting prices for Koni Sports

B8's end up $300 cheaper than the FSD.....but

I am leaning towards FSD's (arrghh $$)

Are the B8's a jolty ride or just a stiff ride.... are they comfier than Stock?
AO Member

County: Queensland

The B8s are a performance shock and make no apologies for it. It's not like riding around in a Merc S Class.

It's not bone jarring, but it is firm. Overall I believe they're more comfortable than stock - much less crashy, but they are firmer and more controlled.

Comparable to any stock quickish road car, something like a WRX, VW R32, etc.
(Post Link) post #10 of 46 Old 02-02-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremolo View Post
The B8s are a performance shock and make no apologies for it. It's not like riding around in a Merc S Class.

It's not bone jarring, but it is firm. Overall I believe they're more comfortable than stock - much less crashy, but they are firmer and more controlled.
Yup o.k got ya.... hmmmm tough decision

i'll await the price of the Koni sports just so i can compare $$
(Post Link) post #11 of 46 Old 02-02-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

O.k Got the prices for all 3:

Koni Sports - $1300
Bilstein B8 - $1500
Koni FSD - $1800

I am thinking that the Koni Sports look very good at that price!!

Shiny.. do you have your sports on the softest setting? or can you give me some detail on how the ride is on the diff settings?
DO you ever readjust your rears?
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

i have them a bit 'firmer' than softest. the softest setting (less damped rebound) is similar to stock shocks, but too bouncy for my tastes.

from 'full soft' to 'full firm', there's about 2 full turns of the adjustment knob. my settings are around 1/2 to 2/3 of one turn away from softest.

once you find the best compromise for you liking, it is set-and-forget. i start with the softest setting, and drive around for a few days. finding a lack of rebound damping, i dial in about 1/3 a turn. drive a few more days. if still too bouncy, i dial another 1/3 turn, drive a few more days. continue until happy. it takes about 1/4 or 1/3 of a turn to notice any difference.

i only adjust the rears again because i install heavy car stereos in the boot! but aside from this, i don't readjust them (regardless of what passengers or cargo i may carry); there really isn't a need.

(Post Link) post #13 of 46 Old 04-02-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Update

O.K i did it.... ordered today Eibach Pro kit . .. & Bilstein B8's.

Approve??
AO Member

County: Dublin

Good luck mate Will be sweet
Smallville

Hey alphaTS56.

I have chosen the Eibach Pro Kit and Bilstein B8 Sprint shocks, im not 100% sure why I chose the Bilstein but after talkiing so loads of people, people seem to like the Koni's 60/40 than the Bilstein.

But as I was going for a sporty setup and didnt care about the ride, that apparantly can be choppy or firm.

I have all the stuff already to fit just have to get around to it, what made you choose the Bilstein's then??

(Post Link) post #16 of 46 Old 04-02-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

I couldn't get the price of the fsd past my wife they alone were almost $2000. for under that price i am getting Eibach + B8.

So it was down to the Koni sport or B8....

Did alot of research and also found it a split vote... i just don't think i would make use of the Koni adjustables... also from what i read the Koni on the softest setting end up being very close in stiffness to the B8... another thing was people said the konis sent more shock into the cabin and the B8's were quiter.

BUT i do want a comfy ride... i hope the b8's aren't to crazy choppy... but surely they will be better than OE? Surely?

Does someone with Koni want to convince me otherwise or is the B8's the way forward?
AO Member

County: Wellington
Who did you order them from in the end? Was the $1500 price on the B8s incl GST? Good price if it was
Smallville

They will be better than the OEM shocks no end, I have just noticed your from New Zealand and I am curious as to what your roads are like??

Are the roads pothole mad or nice and smooth??

Cheers

Smallville

This sounds rather stupid but from what I understand is that the Bilstein B8s are more of a thud rather than the OEMs being a bang when you hit a speedbump or a pothole.

So in my eyes that is just what I am looking for

AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaTS56 View Post
Does someone with Koni want to convince me otherwise or is the B8's the way forward?
la la la.

i can't honestly fairly say. my only experience with Bilstein first-hand is in my 155, and it is crashy at low speed. fantastic at 'enthusiastic' speeds down the Great Ocean Road.

so i've not had them in a 156. but i WAS very, very happy with the KONIs when i did have a 156. that is all.

Smallville

My top tip would be try and find a fellow Alfisti with a similar setup and ask to have a go, and see what you think?

Try and do this as you sound like your not 100% sure and if you want a comfortable ride than maybe the Koni's where you can change the settings might be a better choice. Sorry if I sound like im going back on what I have said btw!!!

Last edited by Smallville; 04-02-09 at 02:25. Reason: Added sentence

(Post Link) post #22 of 46 Old 04-02-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncinqsix View Post
Who did you order them from in the end? Was the $1500 price on the B8s incl GST? Good price if it was
Hey, Ended up ordering from Speed.. price was $1596 icl gst...i say was because i received an email saying the prices will be more than i was quoted due to the Euro.. confirming over night .

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny_car View Post
la la la.

i can't honestly fairly say. my only experience with Bilstein first-hand is in my 155, and it is crashy at low speed. fantastic at 'enthusiastic' speeds down the Great Ocean Road.

so i've not had them in a 156. but i WAS very, very happy with the KONIs when i did have a 156. that is all.

Hi Shiny.. i really do trust what you say but i am (optimistically) thinking it could be the 155 suspension setup differs from the 156... LEt me know what the 155 Suspension setup is tho so i can ponder more... you are running B6.. that may make a difference also??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunn 147 View Post
My top tip would be try and find a fellow Alfisti with a similar setup and ask to have a go, and see what you think?

Try and do this as you sound like your not 100% sure and if you want a comfortable ride than maybe the Koni's where you can change the settings might be a better choice. Sorry if I sound like im going back on what I have said btw!!!
It is impossible to find anyone else with an alfa let alone the exact setup of what i would like.

Again from what i read (although contradictory to shiny) the B8's are really similar to the Koni on the softest so it prob just comes down to rebound etc differences.

In the end i know i will love the B8's ..but i just don't want my 2 kids bouncing up and down in the back seat and my wife never letting me down for it bieng to bumpy/ stiff!

God help me if the ride is bad...
AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

I recently ordered the FSD's and Eibach Pro springs, currently my V6 is fitted with Eibach Sport Pack springs and Bilstein dampers (bought from Ebspares and the Bilsteins have some special setup)

I'm changing because I dont like the Sport Pack springs and although the Bilsteins worked great in my TS they're IMO too soft and a bit bouncy in the V6 - hard to say if this is down to the springs also.

Will be interesting to know how you get on with the Bilsteins

Also a lot will depend on what size wheels and tyres you are running

156 2.5 V6 24v, Cosmos Blue Metallic, Tan Leather, 17Ē GTA's, 225/45 Michelin PS2's, Full Zender body kit, GTA Headlights, Eibach springs, Koni FSD's, Eibach Anti-roll bars, Ferrari 360 Brembo calipers, DS2500 pads, Squadra ECU, 45mm Intake Runners, Carbon Intake, Dan & Wizard exhaust

156 2.5 V6 Qsystem, Red + Red Leather, Bilstein dampers, DS2500 pads...soon Brembo calipers, 17" GTV Teles
(Post Link) post #24 of 46 Old 04-02-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascs View Post
I recently ordered the FSD's and Eibach Pro springs, currently my V6 is fitted with Eibach Sport Pack springs and Bilstein dampers (bought from Ebspares and the Bilsteins have some special setup)

I'm changing because I dont like the Sport Pack springs and although the Bilsteins worked great in my TS they're IMO too soft and a bit bouncy in the V6 - hard to say if this is down to the springs also.

Will be interesting to know how you get on with the Bilsteins

Also a lot will depend on what size wheels and tyres you are running
Hey,

you have the RHB kit from EB spares don't you? those springs are eibach also.

I could see that RHB kit would be a bit bouncy in the v6 . . .and from what i take the B8 are sportier than those....and i have the Twinny

so this is looking positive for me

BTW 215 45 17 Michellin pilots PP2

Last edited by itsNotskywalker; 04-02-09 at 08:41. Reason: added stuff
(Post Link) post #25 of 46 Old 04-02-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncinqsix View Post

Hey did you get your FSD fitted yet??

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
decision , fsd , time>

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page