Mods to a 156 2.0 Twinspark - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 21-01-09 Thread Starter

County: -
Mods to a 156 2.0 Twinspark

what modification can be done to make a nice difference? Stainless Steel Exhaust and branch? what would be the best diameter? 50 into 57mil? or straight 57mil? and branch? 4 into 1 or 4into 2 into 1? how would you go about chipping it? and does it make a difference if the model is Selespeed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unregistered

County: Wiltshire
Re: Mods to a 156 2.0 Twinspark

Selespeeds do not like being chiped, so don't even think about that one and because of the touchiness of twinnies there are very few mods you can do to them without upseting the clean airflow through the engine.
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

The TS is a pretty great car if you've got the sports pack suspension ... the only mods I'd make (if I still had mine) would be to upgrade the brakes (DS2500's) and tighted up the handling with a strut brace, uprated ARBs and powerflex bushes ...
AO Member

County: Dublin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156Chris View Post
The TS is a pretty great car if you've got the sports pack suspension ... the only mods I'd make (if I still had mine) would be to upgrade the brakes (DS2500's) and tighted up the handling with a strut brace, uprated ARBs and powerflex bushes ...

I am looking at upgrading my suspension as I only have the standard set-up.. So are you saying if I take the dampers and springs off my parts car which has SP suspension and bus front and rear strut braces it will be a big improvement? Would save some money for now.. I also have H and R springs, they lower by 30mm, do you think they might work well with the SP suspension? Cheers in advance mate

This is only my first car by the way so I know it wont be as good as FSDs but for the time being would make more sense money wise and not bothered about bumpiness too much, just dont want to damage anything like

AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liam156 View Post
I am looking at upgrading my suspension as I only have the standard set-up.. So are you saying if I take the dampers and springs off my parts car which has SP suspension and bus front and rear strut braces it will be a big improvement? Would save some money for now.. I also have H and R springs, they lower by 30mm, do you think they might work well with the SP suspension? Cheers in advance mate

This is only my first car by the way so I know it wont be as good as FSDs but for the time being would make more sense money wise and not bothered about bumpiness too much, just dont want to damage anything like
To be honest I had my 2.0TS for 4 years and did nothing to it!!! mine had the sports suspension and 16" teledials and it was an almost perfectly handling car, fantastically balanced through the corners ... the only things I'd change is to make the initial turn in a bit sharper and give the brakes a bit more bite ... those changes I suggested would give you a tweak, they won't turn it into a completely different car ...

... even with FSDs on my JTD is doesn't handle as well as my TS ever did ...
AO Member

Quote:
To be honest I had my 2.0TS for 4 years and did nothing to it!!! mine had the sports suspension and 16" teledials and it was an almost perfectly handling car, fantastically balanced through the corners ... the only things I'd change is to make the initial turn in a bit sharper and give the brakes a bit more bite ... those changes I suggested would give you a tweak, they won't turn it into a completely different car ...

... even with FSDs on my JTD is doesn't handle as well as my TS ever did ...

That's interesting, so you recken I just flog the H and R springs cheap on here or the bay? one final thing, any idea what sort of millage the shocks last for?

Cheers
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
That's interesting, so you recken I just flog the H and R springs cheap on here or the bay? one final thing, any idea what sort of millage the shocks last for?

Cheers
tbh I haven't heard of anyone having to replace modern shocks because they've worn out... (although I did have to replace them on a ford cortina I once had )
AO Member

that's good new for me anyway thanks
AO Silver Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

various Alfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaky View Post
Selespeeds do not like being chiped, so don't even think about that one and because of the touchiness of twinnies there are very few mods you can do to them without upseting the clean airflow through the engine.
Selespeed ecu's are just as responsive to good remapping as any other Alfas,and if anything they are an even better car to drive afterwards,i can easily prove it to any non believer.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

911, 156, Merc C

only remap advisable on a Selespeed is the throttle response, makes the reaction of the engine more temperamental (if you like that) but makes city driving a bit sweaty !
(Post Link) post #11 of 18 Old 22-01-09 Thread Starter

ok, and what about giving it a more rougher sound? wouldnt a SS exhaust and branch work? but what branch would i use?
AO Platinum Member

Met one of the guys from here and he had a 1.8TS and the only mod he had was a K&N filter and it sounded
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
tbh I haven't heard of anyone having to replace modern shocks because they've worn out... (although I did have to replace them on a ford cortina I once had )
I've had to replace the rear shocks twice on my last 164 and the front shocks once on my BMW before that!

My Super is on its second set of front shocks as well, although they were replaced by the previous owner.

my 2.0L is modded a bit:

engine:

* intake resonator to the air box has been removed & has GTA intake pipe fitted

* the 'trumpet/cone' has been removed

* balance belt has been removed

Suspoension:

* Powerflexed hub bushes

* Sport Pack suspensions

* strut brace fitted, rear, upper front & lower front

* front & rear ARB bushes replaced wiht 'poly' bushes ...which i can sell/supply to you if you want

i won;t even start about the '4-pot' brakes that i have fitted

Quote:

from my experience you need all three strut braces to make the car handle well on SP suspension.

rear, upper front, lower front.

a word of advise, if you are going to fit a lower strut brace sport pack @ -25mm , will be enough ...last thing you want is to have a speed bump rip one of the lower wish bone bolts off ...those are the bolts that holds the lower strut brace in place
AO Silver Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

various Alfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear View Post
only remap advisable on a Selespeed is the throttle response, makes the reaction of the engine more temperamental (if you like that) but makes city driving a bit sweaty !
I would be glad to prove you totally wrong if you visit us sometime,selespeed m731 are no different to a normal twinspark ones as long as you know what you doing with the maps.Nice ,smooth,more responsive which in turn makes the gearchanges better.
(Post Link) post #18 of 18 Old 23-01-09 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Service Enginee View Post
my 2.0L is modded a bit:

engine:

* intake resonator to the air box has been removed & has GTA intake pipe fitted

* the 'trumpet/cone' has been removed

* balance belt has been removed
is this all in a days work? and can i get the GTA intake pipe at agents? i believe i saw something about that on the forums somewhere... will give it a try...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
156 , mods , twinspark

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page