Autodelta Remap Box Fitted To 210 JTDm - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 62 Old 14-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: -
Chilling Autodelta Remap Box Fitted To 210 JTDm

Had an hour to kill so I popped into Mangoletsi today on the off chance they might have an Autodelta remap box for my 210bhp 2.4JTDm.....and they did!

Considering I called in un-announced and they were up to their neck in service jobs, plus a few people down (training days and illness), Paul got my car sorted in just over an hour. Great job chaps! Really, really happy!

I chose the Autodelta gear for three reasons I guess.
1. Supplied and fitted by my dealer - warranty issues and so they know exactly whats been done to the car.
2. I can remove and refit the box into another car and/or restore my car to original settings at any time.
3. Remaps get wiped off ecu's easily. Happened with our Alfas and Mercs.

I have had remaps in the past (6 different cars and marques in all) and whilst I've always been happy with them, I've had differing performance. One or two have stuttered low down and then walloped you with torque or clouds of black smoke with non-dpf fitted cars or have been wiped off by dealers who update the ECU and then have to be reloaded again (pain in the backside)

The Autodelta jobbie seemed to fit my needs well. Whilst the power increase isn't fantastic (circa 25bhp + more) its much safer than the all-out 'mad-map' that some people like. It can be unplugged easily and there's no soldering as there is on other systems.

I'm mindful of my DPF clogging etc etc of my previous 159's and I really didn't want a 'mad-map' to bring this on - especially when this car really has been perfect so far

I had a great drive back to Sheffield, eventually over Woodhead. The extra power, amazing torque (3rd gear full throttle traction problems!!!!) and total lack of turbo lag is great fun.
3rd and 4th are simply briliant. Pulls like a bloody train! Yee haa!!

The down sides The price. It wasn't cheap. £350+vat fitted and tested. Expensive when reddot and angel will reflash your ecu your car for £250-£280 all in.

I wasn't able to get any pics though - sorry people

I'll have a nosey when it's light and look for the little box of tricks - I've no idea where they've put it under the rocker cover

Next project - Autodelta air filter (undertray off jobbie so CF tells me and it comes highly though of!)

Now, where's a rolling road when you need it to test my wee beastie..... :evillaugh: Anyone else had a TI with one of these fitted on a rolling road

If Jano is reading this, can you confirm what you'd expect to see

-Keep It Moist-
I'm experiencing deja vu and amnesia at the same time... I think I've forgotten this before.
145 QV->156 1.8->166 3.0->156SW 2.4->166 3.0 V6->156 2.4 20v->2.0Spider->159 2.4->159 2.4->159 TI 2.4 Modifica->Merc C-Class->Jag XJ->Boxster S->BMW 335d XD ->BMW 440i->Merc AMG

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire
Re: Autodelta Remap Box Fitted To 210 JTDm

INteesting. Only knew about the P-box, which gives about 40bhp more and costs c £500. This sounds like a reaonsable compromise.

Does this over-ride the AR warranty if there's any damage to the car that can be attirbuted to the box? This is a big selling point of the p-box.
AO Member

County: Brasov

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm Q4

damn... next time when you'll have "an hour to kill" please, pretty please, take some pics of that exhaust :P
(Post Link) post #4 of 62 Old 15-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

The AR warranty is affected if the box of tricks fails and damage is done to the car. The box is covered under its own warranty and I've been reassured that not a single unit has failed. Plus getting it fitted and tested by an Alfa Romeo main dealer is as much reassurance as I can have

Went for a spin just now down to the bank and it runs a treat!

I'm dying to get it on a rolling road just to see what its running now
(Post Link) post #5 of 62 Old 15-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshy View Post
damn... next time when you'll have "an hour to kill" please, pretty please, take some pics of that exhaust :P

Try my best mate
JTN
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

Brera 2.4 JTD

I have the P-Box fitted to my 2.4JTDM Brera & the extra torque is amazing. Like you say though, it seems now there's more power than grip & if you boot it in 3rd and sometimes even 4th the tyres scrabble a bit. Could do with a LSD now !!
AO Silver Member

County: Essex

Hi Hunter, congrats on the box, you'l be grinning from ear to ear for ages...sounds like a good compromise for drivetrain life.
Some of us had some fun with 50-70mph times in forth https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ph-in-4th.html

I changed the stock air filter for a K&N and put some picks up
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tunin...ml#post2211369 on how to change it, if your interested.

AutoDelta do a LSD for our gearbox, but its £850+fitting...ouch.

Have fun.
(Post Link) post #8 of 62 Old 15-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Thanks JB - I never saw those threads before

Nice 'show and tell' ref the air filter! Top marks
Yes I'm interested and want to get it done asap
AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

just a change of subject!!

I have just got off the phone from them spoke to a bloke called ken seemed ok.. the reason i got in contact is i'm thinking about the supercharger route for my 147..

what there work like???

and do you think it would be worth 4k+uprating brakes
(Post Link) post #10 of 62 Old 15-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsmith1 View Post

AutoDelta do a LSD for our gearbox, but its £850+fitting...ouch.

Yep, that's pretty steep.

However I've spent rather a lot recently on this particluar 159.

Lester boot spoiler. Lester front splitter. Both primed, painted and fitted.
HID xenons.
Novitec SS backboxes.
Autodelta power box.
New 245 19" tyres.

I must be mad!
(Post Link) post #11 of 62 Old 15-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewy20004 View Post
just a change of subject!!

I have just got off the phone from them spoke to a bloke called ken seemed ok.. the reason i got in contact is i'm thinking about the supercharger route for my 147..

what there work like???

and do you think it would be worth 4k+uprating brakes

Wrong lounge fella
There's a chap NE UK who has turboed his 147 - have a looky in the 147 part of the forum

...and yes, get your brakes looked at ...
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
Thanks JB - I never saw those threads before

Nice 'show and tell' ref the air filter! Top marks
Yes I'm interested and want to get it done asap
no problem

Quote:
Yep, that's pretty steep.

However I've spent rather a lot recently on this particluar 159.

Lester boot spoiler. Lester front splitter. Both primed, painted and fitted.
HID xenons.
Novitec SS backboxes.
Autodelta power box.
New 245 19" tyres.

I must be mad!
Wow sounds very nice, did the Novitec boxes change the exhaust note?...I may go that root soon.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Had an hour to kill so I popped into Mangoletsi today on the off chance they might have an Autodelta remap box for my 210bhp 2.4JTDm.....and they did!

Considering I called in un-announced and they were up to their neck in service jobs, plus a few people down (training days and illness), Paul got my car sorted in just over an hour. Great job chaps! Really, really happy!

I chose the Autodelta gear for three reasons I guess.
1. Supplied and fitted by my dealer - warranty issues and so they know exactly whats been done to the car.
2. I can remove and refit the box into another car and/or restore my car to original settings at any time.
3. Remaps get wiped off ecu's easily. Happened with our Alfas and Mercs.

I have had remaps in the past (6 different cars and marques in all) and whilst I've always been happy with them, I've had differing performance. One or two have stuttered low down and then walloped you with torque or clouds of black smoke with non-dpf fitted cars or have been wiped off by dealers who update the ECU and then have to be reloaded again (pain in the backside)

The Autodelta jobbie seemed to fit my needs well. Whilst the power increase isn't fantastic (circa 25bhp + more) its much safer than the all-out 'mad-map' that some people like. It can be unplugged easily and there's no soldering as there is on other systems.

I'm mindful of my DPF clogging etc etc of my previous 159's and I really didn't want a 'mad-map' to bring this on - especially when this car really has been perfect so far

I had a great drive back to Sheffield, eventually over Woodhead. The extra power, amazing torque (3rd gear full throttle traction problems!!!!) and total lack of turbo lag is great fun.
3rd and 4th are simply briliant. Pulls like a bloody train! Yee haa!!

The down sides The price. It wasn't cheap. £350+vat fitted and tested. Expensive when reddot and angel will reflash your ecu your car for £250-£280 all in.

I wasn't able to get any pics though - sorry people

I'll have a nosey when it's light and look for the little box of tricks - I've no idea where they've put it under the rocker cover

Next project - Autodelta air filter (undertray off jobbie so CF tells me and it comes highly though of!)

Now, where's a rolling road when you need it to test my wee beastie..... :evillaugh: Anyone else had a TI with one of these fitted on a rolling road

If Jano is reading this, can you confirm what you'd expect to see
Hmm, after a +25bhp power box, I don't know if you're going to notice the addition of the air filter mate! Only a very slight improvement by comparison - though if you can do the fitting yourself, it is only one tenth of the cost of the power box I guess.
AO Member

County: Highlands

pleased to hear your enthusiasim about your ti ,seems light years away from all the hassle you had with your brakes,happy motoring.
(Post Link) post #15 of 62 Old 16-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Thanks chaps
I'm so very happy with this TI, I guess it also highlights how deeply rotten the previous two were
But anyway, onwards and upwards
AHM
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Hampshire

Member car:

alfa 33 2.0 race

Tuning boxes raise the fuel pressure to gain power thats it
A GOOD remap alters many other things
egr,torque limiters,boost etc
There are good and bad remaps but tuning boxes will
never be as good as a well done remap
AO Platinum Member

County: Berkshire

Sounds good H. Post some RR info when you have it?
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adie View Post
Tuning boxes raise the fuel pressure to gain power thats it
A GOOD remap alters many other things
egr,torque limiters,boost etc
There are good and bad remaps but tuning boxes will
never be as good as a well done remap
yes I quite agree, most just raise the main rail pressure, however the P-Box is plugged inline with the injectors only on mine.
I believe it alters injection timing with a map change too, it reads the base map from the cars ecu and to coin a frase says "you don't want to do it like that" and gives the injectors a new instrution. My last rolling road showed 192whp/387lbs with std boost

Does anyone have any views or experience of re-mapping the 1.9 Ti engine please ?
I have heard there are a few Alfa modified and corrected maps, but haven't spoken to my dealer yet. I would be keen for it to be an Alfa fit so as not to compromise warranty.
Also, what to the re-maps typically add to insurance premiums, worth the extra pleasure ??
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor View Post
Does anyone have any views or experience of re-mapping the 1.9 Ti engine please ?
I have heard there are a few Alfa modified and corrected maps, but haven't spoken to my dealer yet. I would be keen for it to be an Alfa fit so as not to compromise warranty.
Also, what to the re-maps typically add to insurance premiums, worth the extra pleasure ??
Hello mate. Try posting in the Tuning section, someone will know. Oh and as a bit of general advice Red Dot racing (based in Enfield) are excellent at remapping. You'll definitely get some gains out of the engine, Alfa's are notoriously over-fueled, particulalry on British high quality jungle juice!

Thanks for the reply, will follow it up with a post in the Tuning section. New to AO, so still finding my way around
AHM
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Hampshire

Member car:

alfa 33 2.0 race

Ok
R yes seen those yes they take the signel from the injector out puts
and change them for more fuel
It can not read the ecus map though the injector plugs

Power figs look good
Like remaps theirs good and bad plug on
boxes yours sounds good

The only problem is in a good remap we change many other things
to make the car drive nice as well as just power
(Post Link) post #23 of 62 Old 21-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Which plug-in Adie The one on mine or the one fitted to JTN's

I don't disagree with you ref the remap v's plug in box.

As I said in my opening post, I've had quite a bit of remap experience in our cars. However, some remaps haven't been great and some have been fantastic.

My current car is still under warranty and if you know my history with ARUK and a couple of its dealers, if a remap were ever to be detected (check sums etc) then I would be in deep dodo.

This Autodelta bit of kit was fitted by my dealer, warranty with same dealer and I can either sell it or refit it to my next car in circa 12 months time or less.

I bought it not for the mad map and peak power, but as a happy medium between performance and longevity based on past experiences. (new clutches, DPF clogging, replacement gearbox etc have all been brought on by excessive remapping on past cars)

Horses for courses I guess.
AO Silver Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

various Alfas

Quote:

As I said in my opening post, I've had quite a bit of remap experience in our cars. However, some remaps haven't been great and some have been fantastic.

My current car is still under warranty and if you know my history with ARUK and a couple of its dealers, if a remap were ever to be detected (check sums etc) then I would be in deep dodo.

This Autodelta bit of kit was fitted by my dealer, warranty with same dealer and I can either sell it or refit it to my next car in circa 12 months time or less.

I bought it not for the mad map and peak power, but as a happy medium between performance and longevity based on past experiences. (new clutches, DPF clogging, replacement gearbox etc have all been brought on by excessive remapping on past cars)

I have been making files for over 20 years and i have not yet come across an ALFA dealer that can read files and check checksums,furthermore Alfa as yet dont have the facility for a flash counter in their ecu versions so that it can be detected by a dealer with examiner
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adie View Post
Ok
R yes seen those yes they take the signel from the injector out puts
and change them for more fuel
It can not read the ecus map though the injector plugs

Power figs look good
Like remaps theirs good and bad plug on
boxes yours sounds good

The only problem is in a good remap we change many other things
to make the car drive nice as well as just power
lol ok, my laymans terminology. glad you like the figures

Quote:

JTN and I are both using P-boxs, they are adjustable, ie box off (no gain) or from 14% upto 20% gain via dip switches in side the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFA TUNER View Post
I have been making files for over 20 years and i have not yet come across an ALFA dealer that can read files and check checksums,furthermore Alfa as yet dont have the facility for a flash counter in their ecu versions so that it can be detected by a dealer with examiner
very interesting, the only reason I went for a removable box as I'am sure others have, is because I still have 2 1/2 yrs warranty left, and don't want any fuss with a warranty clame.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
210 , autodelta , box , fitted , jtdm , remap

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page