Koni Sport Shock Absorbers - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 13-01-09 Thread Starter
DMN
AO Member

County: Kagera
Koni Sport Shock Absorbers

Has anyone used these? I did a search and found very little. I like the idea if being able to play with the dampening. I know Koni FSD's are considered to be the way to go, but what about these:

Secure UK tuning store Alfa, Ferrari, Fiat, Lamborghini, Lancia, Maserati
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: Koni Sport Shock Absorbers

yes, several of us have them fitted. Mine are approx 2.5 years old...... i like the fact they are adjustable.

should be able to get a full 'kit' too
(Post Link) post #3 of 16 Old 13-01-09 Thread Starter
DMN
AO Member

County: Kagera

Is there a noticible difference with the settings and do you play about with them prior to a trip? Say a given setting for a given type of road you'll encounter on the way?

I ask as here on the Wight Isle, the roads are mainly baddly maintained, bumpy country lanes. So a soft setting would suit best, but I also use the car for dashes up and down the Motorways on the mainland, so a firmer setting would suit better. That is, I think it would.

i nomally set the 4 Konis anywhere form 1 turn 'firm' out of 2 turn to 1.75 turns 'firm' depening on my mood/road.

easy to do,takes approx 1 min... longest time been opening & closing of bonnet/boot.

the difference is VERY noticable ..... fully FIRM is too much for my liking..... only the tyre's sidewalls move
Smallville

I have orderd the Bilstein B6 Shocks front and rear earlier during the week with Eibach Springs, i'll get back to you on how it is.

how low are the Eibach springs because, iirc, B6's are meant for upto a max of 25mm drop & B8s are meant for > 25mm drops.

these drops are from a STANDARD height not from SP height

hope you bought the right one
Smallville

Would you recommend changing to Koni if I still can then??

The springs that I have orderd will drop her by 30mm, on alfisti.net the page says that the Bilstein B6s are ok from standard to 30mm

if the springs are -30mm & the dampers are for -30mm then you should be ok....

afaik.... B8's are for > 25mm lowering ...there is a 'grey' zone where they overlap.
Smallville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Service Enginee View Post
if the springs are -30mm & the dampers are for -30mm then you should be ok....

afaik.... B8's are for > 25mm lowering ...there is a 'grey' zone where they overlap.
Cheers for your advice, I have sent a email asking if I can change the shocks to Koni Sports or Koni FSDs

its YOUR call ..... i'm only working on memory re-call ... never had them fitted.

Gazza82 might be able to advise oyu better re: B6 or B8 ..... would you consider B8's?
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire

[QUOTE=DMN;2318704]Is there a noticible difference with the settings and do you play about with them prior to a trip? Say a given setting for a given type of road you'll encounter on the way?

I had the Koni top adjustables on my 205gti a few years back, they were great, proper go kart handling, but if you set them to firm in the wet... watch out! treacherous! best set about mid way I think. Firm was pretty firm, really felt those pot holes.

Had another pug after that with the bilstein uprated on it, not adjustable, they were good too.

will be looking for some Konis for my gta soon...
Smallville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Service Enginee View Post
its YOUR call ..... i'm only working on memory re-call ... never had them fitted.

Gazza82 might be able to advise oyu better re: B6 or B8 ..... would you consider B8's?
Yea I would concider B8s, are they better than B6s then?

AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09

County: Victoria

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN View Post
Has anyone used these? I did a search and found very little.
wow, i can't believe a 'search' did not reveal much.

i have recommended them many times here, and like them very much. i had them on my old SW20 Toyota MR2, then my 2L TS 156, then on my 3.2L GT.

i like the option to 'adjust' them. i find the 'softest' setting lacks rebound control (for my liking), so around 3/4 of a turn suits me best. this is with Eibach Pro Kit springs (which were on the 156 and also on the GT).

i have Bilstein B6 on my 155, which i chose to try - something different. they are non-adjustable, but not too bad. a little too firm on the compression, and a little too soft on rebound for me (with Eibach Pro Kit springs); still very good though.

the B8 is essentially the same as the B6, but with shorter pistons and designed for cars lowered greater than about 35mm. so they are no better, just suitable for a different application.

personally, for dampers, i will stick with KONI Sport in the future. only thing potentially better, is a set of coilovers like the KWv2, but i think they would be overkill for a TS 156.

GT . 3.2 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red . Eibach . KONI . ASSO . ATP 19" . TAROX . FERODO . Mille Miglia exhaust
155 . 2.0 8V TS . Grigio Grey - Grey . H&R coilover . Enkei 17" . TAROX . GOODRIDGE . REMUS
75 . 3.0 . Alfa Red - Grey
AO Gold Member

County: -

I like the Konis as well and have them on my last 2 cars. Before that I used SPAX on my older Alfa Romeos and the front of my 1995 SEAT Ibiza 2.0 GTi. I prefer the Spax as they were genuinely adjustable to suit road conditions unlike the Konis Sports which are essentially adjustable for wear. I am not sure if someone else makes something like "SPAX" for current Alfa Romeo

I believe that SPAX had both compression and rebound dampening whilst the Konis are just rebound???

Last edited by Stori; 14-01-09 at 07:14.
AO Member

County: Queensland

Here is some product info from Bilstein re: B6 v B8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny_car View Post
so they are no better, just suitable for a different application.
Correct
AO Member

Member car:

156 SW GTA

I can also vouch for yellow Konis. Have them on my other car, and they're very good dampers. If it wasn't for FSDs these would go on my Alfa too when I upgrade it.

DJ
--

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
absorbers , koni , shock , sport

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page