Electric Supercharger? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 32 Old 28-12-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
Electric Supercharger?

Was surfing for info about superchargers and found this far too unbelievably good to be true: Electric Superchargers This is an American company that claims to make a supercharger for $99 that you can fit yourself and will give you 'guaranteed up to 30% power increase' (!!!) This is of course a tad cheaper than the 5 grand Autodelta would want.... Im not dumb enough to think you will get the same benefits.... Wondered exactly what this was all about if anyone knows more on the subject of superchargers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

Re: Electric Supercharger?

It won't work.

Superchargers use a lot of power to drive them. Electric supercharger would be no different. You couldn't generate the electricity required fast enough!

They are in the same league as the £5 eBay power chips...

Plus the heat generated by the motor would probably decrease performance.
AO Silver Member

In the FAQs it says that the supercharger is "hooked in parallel to your vehicles existing intake plenum."; I wonder how the air knows it's supposed to go into the inlet manifold rather than back out of the intake?
AO Member

They are basically an electric fan on a k&n filter, I have tried one on a gta but it didnt make any difference as the induction was slightly smaller so the power just came back to what it should be, It might work better on a 2.0ltr or a 2.5 but I would imagine it would burn out the maf eventually. I have a new one That has been used for about 10 miles and then removed, you are welcome to it at the right price if you want to try it out.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

Here are some facts I have been working on.

For arguements sake you have a 2 litre engine (it makes calculations easier).

On every revolution it sucks in 1 litre of air. (Its a 4 stroke so sucks in every other revolution)

That means if it idles at 800rpm it is sucking in 400 litres of air just at tickover.

At 6000 rpm the engine needs 3000 litres of air a minute or 50 litres per second.

If the fan is supplying any less it becomes a restriction, and none of these fans are even capable of supplying a 2 litre engine with enough air even at tickover.

If you are to get an meaningfull positive "boost" then you need the fan to supply more air than the engine is capable of sucking on its own, so that the air is forced into the cylinders instead of being drawn in by the vacuum created as the pistons drop.

This is why Turbo Chargers operate at speeds over 100,000 rpm and sometimes up to 250,000rpm they need to just to shift enough air.

You simply cannot buy electric motors that are capable of such speeds. At least not for "Affordable" amounts.

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170), BMW 335i Cabrio
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Garage

Member car:

E82 125i

you can get electric chargers that deliver that sort of performance, but they need extra batteries to run and can only be run for very short periods of time, so is an alternative to nitrous rather than being like a traditional c/s.

Thomas Knight Turbo Electric Supercharger - Tech Review - Turbo Magazine
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil-gtv6 View Post
you can get electric chargers that deliver that sort of performance, but they need extra batteries to run
six extra batteries in the boot of that one...

Just think how long it will take to recharge them after your short boost has used them up.!
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
six extra batteries in the boot of that one...

Just think how long it will take to recharge them after your short boost has used them up.!
... and the extra weight of carrying those battery's around would make the extra power worthless
AO Member

Maybe hook up a pair of 12v hairdryers? Got to be a bit cheaper and two hairdryers would surely double the 'boost'
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat24v View Post
Maybe hook up a pair of 12v hairdryers? Got to be a bit cheaper and two hairdryers would surely double the 'boost'
The air would be hot, so you would need an intercooler.
(Post Link) post #12 of 32 Old 30-12-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire

Ha ha, interesting. So it looks like it really is the load of old **** that I thought it must be. If something looks too good to be true then it usually is... Oh well I'll just keep on saving up that 5 grand for the Autodelta conv....
AO Platinum Member

All I can say is if the car manufaturers don't use something then there must be a reason.

If there was a cheap and easy way to add performance/economy, then the motor manufacturers with their big R&D facilities would have found it and put it to use.

the concept of the system is not off though, just an electric powered turbo chrager, u could gear to high revoloutions but think about it, electric cars don't last to long and it would generate alot of heat
Damien_C

Can we get one of these threads made a sticky so that this question isn't asked anymore.

AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
Can we get one of these threads made a sticky so that this question isn't asked anymore.
Good idea. It can go down alongside the electric powered alternator as a waste of time.

I wonder whay no one has tried selling them yet
Damien_C

Well use your logic like if these things worked for that cheap F1 cars would have along with every other motorsport in the world would be using them. Loada ****e they are and the car manufacturers would be using them too.

Nev

God, why is it stuff that patently will not work allowed to
be flogged as some miracle product/device/etc !?!?!

With all those GCSE & A Level grade A's floating around you'd think
there'd be more people around to rubbish this tat.

AO Platinum Member

Normally if stuff is sold it has to do what it claims to do. What with the trade descriptions act and all that.

However this doesn't seem to apply to ebay.
alfafamily

Years ago they used to sell an attachment for your tail pipe that sucked out the exhaust,it was a little fan driven round by the exhaust. I might re invent it and see if I can flog a few.:crazy:

AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfafamily View Post
Years ago they used to sell an attachment for your tail pipe that sucked out the exhaust,it was a little fan driven round by the exhaust. I might re invent it and see if I can flog a few.:crazy:
That sounds a bit like a Turbo in reverse.
AO Member

Member car:

I agree that the mentioned product is nonsense but do not dismiss the idea of an electric super, not turbo, charger.

If a working belt driver SC is taken as a starting point and the pulley replaced with a motor and the belt replaced with wiring and a big ass alternator then what is the problem.

I would also think that the whole electrics would need to be changed from 12 -> 48v or the current would be a bit mental.

In the normal case the engine uses a percentage of its power to driver the belt/pully/compressor, this is no different in the electric case.

What it would also allow would be for the charger to be stopped when idleing or no part throttle.

For $99 I don't think so but don't dismiss as "needs more power then it generates".
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park

your big ass alternator shoould supply around 20 kW, at 12V that's about 1600A, or 16 times more than your regular alternator...

Oh, I rounded down
AO Member

1600amps, that would drive an electric motor to power the whole car.

Wow, you've just solved the worlds energy problems hook an alternator straight onto the end of an electric motor!! linky a few cables from one side to the other.
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset

Member car:

156GTA & 33racer

...something wrong there then

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
electric , supercharger

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page