Suspension upgrades - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 15-12-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Sligo

Member car:

156 V6, GTV V6

Suspension upgrades

Hi,

I have a 156 v6 sportpack running on 17" rims. The lower wishbones are due for replacement so I though it would be a good idea to do some suspension upgrades at the same time. I'm looking to improve handling, but not reduce comfort by much because Irish roads are pretty rough - plenty of potholes about!!

From doing searches on the forum there seems to be a consensus that Koni dampers combined with Eibach springs are good upgrades. So my question is..

1. Would the Konis + Eibach be any "harder" over bumps than the Sportpack settings?
2. Seeing as the wishbones need replacement as well, would I be better off doing the shock/springs at the same time to save on labour costs? Do the wishbones need to be taken off to replace shocks/springs?
3. Koni FSDs seem expensive. Are they noticably better than say Koni Sports? Would the FSDs be more handling orientated i.e. harder?

Would appreciate any comments!
Gavin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: Suspension upgrades

Well I can tell you from a 147 point of view.
Needed my front wishbones replacing like yourself so went down the route of the FSD and Eibach springs 30mm drop.
Best money I have ever spent on any car !
Ride was smoother over normal condtions cornering was so much more responsive so much all I could do was laugh in disbelife.
Do it you will not regret it.
PS Let me know how you got on
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

aaaargh we could do with a sticky thread giving a list of suspension options and a quick brief on the different ones....

every car is going to feel different, depending on what other parts are fitted. it will be really difficult to compare a car with Koni FSD's and standard, old bushes(wishbones, roll bar for example, but not worn out bushes) to a car with Koni Sports and new bushes. there are som many different things that affect the way a the car will behave.

even the cheapest option like a front upper strut brace will change the cars behaviour for the better. front upper and lower braces can be had for £100ish.

i have the Koni Sports on my 2.0 TS 156, i also have Eibach's roll bar (F&R) and poly bush kit, front upper and lower strut braces, new front wishbones(upper and lower) new droplinks (front and rear), new trailing and transverse arms. i couldnt give you a true comparison unless someone had exactly the same upgrades done at roughly the same time, but had the Koni FSD's fitted instead.

to answer your questions,

1) yes, the koni & eibach combo will be a bit harder, but not teeth-crashingly hard. both the Koni Sports and FSD's have adjustable damping, so can go quite soft if you wish, although this setup will not be *optimum*

2)best to get them done at the same time if you are going to, as the shocks/spring need at least moving to fit the wishbones.

3)FSD's are more expensive because they are ride height&damping adjustable, whereas the Sports are fixed height (-35mm i think) but have adjustable damping (damping=soft/hard). FSD's may be slightly harder, but again the ride depends on the car's setup, bushes/wear etc.

hope this helps a wee bit.

My 156 GTA with Wizrdovoz system Video 1 Video 2
AO Member

County: Greater Manchester

Koni FSD's are not height or rate adjustable they are:-

"Frequency Selective Damping Shock Absorbers
KONI introduce the ultimate shock absorbers offering automatic adjustment to give greater driving pleasure" (quote Koni)
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

gah, apologies, was getting confused with coilovers.

FSD's adjust damping themselves (somehow) supposedly to give you the "best" ride...
(Post Link) post #6 of 9 Old 17-12-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 V6, GTV V6

Thanks for the help and advice folks!

I've just ordered new lower wishbones. I've decided I'm going to get these on first as I'm interested to see the effect of one improvement at a time. Suspension upgrades (dampers & springs) will wait till new year, hopefully in January.

Besides, I have some other issues to work out - just discovered wet carpets in footwell.. after already giving the dealer a pile of cash to sort out a leaky sunroof
AO Silver Member

County: Greater London

Im looking to do some suspension work in the new year

But as for leaking sunroofs Arrrrrrgghhh My Saxo VTS was like a watering can, it cam in through both the saxos weak points 1) the Sunroof 2) the Areial mounting - Thank god I aint got a sun roof this time
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Well ... I'm not comparing like for like but ... by 2.0 Twinny had sports pack suspension which was pretty good, reasonably balanced, my 2.4JTD has koni FSDs + Eibach and it is very balanced (throwing it round corners you feel both the front and rear bite in) ... as for harshness wrt road quality, I find my FSDs comparable to my previous standard shocks in terms of handling of potholes etc ... the FSDs seem to have some magic in them such that they are soft when driving "normally" but seem to harden up when throwing them around ...
(Post Link) post #9 of 9 Old 18-12-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 V6, GTV V6

Yep, it's embarrassing explaining to everyone why you are driving around a loaner car while your Alfa is at the garage getting a leak fixed (again)!

I'm considering sealing up the sunroof as a permanent "fix"!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
suspension , upgrades

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page