Exhaust for 156 V6, CSC or ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

Old 02-12-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Arhus

Member car:

156 3,0 V6

Exhaust for 156 V6, CSC or ?

First of all I'd like to apologies for yet another exhaust thread.
I've been surfing around to try and work this one out but I'm in doubt which exhaust to go for.
I guess I'm after the perfect exhaust that doesn't exist so I would really appreciate some inputs from you guys

I quite like the look of the CSC with the two slanted tailpipes and the way it's kinda discrete but still not quite stock.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2116/...4144a384_o.jpg

The only issue is that it seems to be very 'muffled' and understated when it comes to sound. With all the money spend on petrol I would like to get more of the glorious V6 sound

I quite like the sound of the CSC for GTA like here
YouTube - Alfa 147GTA with CSC

I've been looking at the novitec exhaust (not the DTM one) but it sounds a bit 'farty' on idle, as does the Ragazzon, but that could come down to putting the camera very close to it?
YouTube - Alfa 156 v6 novitec sound
YouTube - Alfa Romeo 156 2,5 V6 Ragazzon
Also I've only been able to find one picture of it fitted. Is there really not any other?
http://shophost.net/shop_n/catalog/images/890.jpg

I'm getting getting a decat too which I know will bring some more volume to it. (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALFA-156-STAIN...QQcmdZViewItem)
So I wondered if that would beef up the mild steel CSC or if I should go for something stainless? Problem then is that Supersprint, Ragazzon etc. doesn't do one for the 156 with the look I really want.
Also I don't know what centre pipe to get. I don't mind it being loud, in fact I enjoy being able to hear it without having to drive like a nutter. Still it has to be ok for cruising.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-08
AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Re: Exhaust for 156 V6, CSC or ?

I have Cybox Sport Cat and Novitec DTM exhaust, the exhaust has no center box so its just cat and rear box. I'm reasonably happy with the sound if maybe slightly loud but thats come from the Sport Cat.

I know what you mean about the Novitec being a bit 'farty' - the twin DTM pipes are the cause - there is one outlet from the back box which is split into 2 for the pipes - the exhaust gas comes out the box and hits a splitter for the 2 DTM pipes.

The Sport cat has increased the volume and also the bass at low revs and nice bark as the revs increase. Now the best thing about the sport cat is the power increase - it really has unleashed the engine to a noticeable extent.

156 2.5 V6 24v, Cosmos Blue Metallic, Tan Leather, 17” GTA's, 225/45 Michelin PS2's, Full Zender body kit, GTA Headlights, Eibach springs, Koni FSD's, Eibach Anti-roll bars, Ferrari 360 Brembo calipers, DS2500 pads, Squadra ECU, 45mm Intake Runners, Carbon Intake, Dan & Wizard exhaust

156 2.5 V6 Qsystem, Red + Red Leather, Bilstein dampers, DS2500 pads...soon Brembo calipers, 17" GTV Teles
Old 05-12-08
AO Member

Member car:

EP3 Type R

i have the utp racing back box which is made by ragazzon, at first i had it fitted with a raga straight through mid pipe but after about 5,000 rpm
theres a horrible farty, swoosh, scream, not a nice sound, so i took the mid section off, thinking that was the cause, but its still there.

after reading pascs post my backbox has one exit split into a twin tailpipe so i guess thats the cause of the farty sound,im going to see a powerflow dealer and get the twins cut off and a single tailpipe welded on..................hope it solves it, as i love the look of a twin tailpipe
Old 05-12-08
AO Member

County: New South Wales

All GTA's sound great so a quad system on a GTA will not necessarily mean a CSC will sound the same on a 156 3.0. The base was turned up on the first clip as the fan even sounded like an exhaust.You need to listen to more exhausts on youtube on a 156 2.5 or 3.0 .
Old 05-12-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 3,0 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
All GTA's sound great so a quad system on a GTA will not necessarily mean a CSC will sound the same on a 156 3.0. The base was turned up on the first clip as the fan even sounded like an exhaust.You need to listen to more exhausts on youtube on a 156 2.5 or 3.0 .
I know that the GTA will sound different as does it sound much nicer stock. I actually thought it also came down to the bigger engine but my 3,0 sounds pretty much like the 2,5 did so I suppose it mostly comes down to the exhaust.
Regardless of the differences to the rest of the system, the CSC for GTA's are in stainless steel also so that will make a difference. Sadly they don't make any for normal 156's. It was more to give you an idea what sort of sound I'm after - but I know it's not gonna sound exactly like it. Btw the 'fan' I think was some air compressor in the background
If you compare the mild-steel CSC to the standard exhaust it's tone have been altered a bit but else it is the same. The Novitec and most others, have some more growl in them but I wouldn't be able to live with the farty idle. The CSC GTA's would be perfect but sadly I don't have the right car to fit them on
YouTube - Alfa Romeo 156 V6 Exhaust Before and After
YouTube - CSC on Alfa 147 GTA
Guess I will try the CSC and an unsilenced centre pipe.
Old 09-12-08

None of these exhausts on the you tube clips sound very good. This could be the micorphone positioning.

I fitted a CSC twin pipe rear to a mates 2.5 with the Supersprint silencerless centre pipe. It sounded much better than any of these. It retained the nice crisp fizz the 2.5 has on large throttle opening acceleration- especially above 5000rpm. It did not have the brash, flat base note that the 3.2 engines suffer from. It was on the verge of being too loud, but definitely not chav. It did produce the most incredible barritone yell though. Simply very, very nice indeed.

At idle, I would describe the sound as obvious due to its bass note. Around town, it was also noticeable. Not in a boom box Corsa way, but in a real pedigree engine sort of way. At cruising speed of about 60mph/100kph, it was noticeably vocal. Not a droning sound like a 4 cylinder car, but there was a certain bass which did enter the cabin. It was on the verge of annoyance, but not quite. It did dominate though. Funnily enough, if the car was driven faster, it actually became quieter, and it was not until a cruising speed of about 100mph that the exhaust bass would become an issue. At no point was it sore on the ears though.

The smaller twin pipes prevent the turbulence induced popping that really doesn't sound very nice on the you tube clips. Instead there is a more natural popping, a bit less slapping and more just popping. I can't think why CSC offer an oval, because in the V6 or a CF2 twinspark, it just acts as a resonnance chamber.

Overall, this was a very nice sounding set up. OK, not as spectacular as the CSC on a 75 3.0, but still a notably nice sounding car in keeping with the 156. It was always commented on by people in the club, and sounded much nicer than a GTA does. It was not expensive, but it just worked really well.

Even my BMW owning ex-business partner (say no more) rated this as the best sounding car owned by a regular customer of the garage business.

A Novitech may well sound better, but I don't know. I just know that the Supersprint centre and CSC twin rear workes very, very well on a 2.5 156.
Old 09-12-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 3,0 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally View Post
I fitted a CSC twin pipe rear to a mates 2.5 with the Supersprint silencerless centre pipe....blabla...
Sounds just like my sorta thing. I actually ordered parts earlier today. The CSC and unsilenced center + decat - not Supersprint tho but will see how it performs. Ordered seperate parts so I can swap out cat/centre at will
I'll prolly give a little report and some clips over xmas.
Thanks for all the replies any way so far
Old 09-12-08
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

156 JTS

it sounds like you would like the cybox exhaust, have a look for alfa 156 cybox on youtube, there is a clip of one on a v6 somewhere, i have one on mine and i think it would be what you are looking for
Old 10-12-08
AO Member

County: Hauts de Seine

Member car:

ALFA 156 BENZINA

If you have the money, Unicorse are very good. Supersprint are great

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
156 , csc , exhaust