Head removal for rod change? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 17-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Kit cars

Head removal for rod change?

Evening all.
Since I'm a bit tight, and dislike doing extra work when not required, is it possible/advisable to change the rods in the 2.5 V6 WITHOUT pulling the heads off? Is it possible to fit the piston rings back in from inside the engine, or must this be done from above? It's probably just me trying to be a bit lazy really, but I haven't worked on an engine with separate liners before so could do with some advice on what I can do before I start pulling things apart!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -
Re: Head removal for rod change?

You must take heads off to change the rods. Busso V6 is no different in that matter than any other engine. When the heads will be off protect liners, otherwise when you turn the engine upside down the will fall out.
And also do not use cigarette seals on the rear crankshaft main bearing. Just use black RTV Wurth or gray Loctite silicon sealer and sqush it into the top opening until it will start flowing out from the join line on the other side.
About cambelt tensioners and water pumps I will advice later (if you want) when I will be back from work tonight.
Jan
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 18-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Kit cars

Re: Head removal for rod change?

Cheers for that. I had a feeling that would be the answer, but I wanted to check before pull it all part. The rest I know about, although I'm sure there will be more questions when I forget about some particular little thing.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
change , head , removal , rod

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page