Brera Autodelta Compressor on the way! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 91 Old 17-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Attica
Brera Autodelta Compressor on the way!

I must say that I resisted the thought for quite a while - after all, 10,000 Euros or so is quite a hefty sum BUT...

...The mind works in weird ways. I was in Spain a couple of weeks ago, and I got my hands on a rented Audi A4 2.0 TDI. There, I had some sort of an epiphany.

I was SO annoyed that I had no access to such low-rev torque in my Brera - so annoyed that I called the local Autodelta guy immediately! (incidentally, the Audi was crap, the engine dies around 3,500 rpm and body roll is hopeless. The dashboard is utterly boring too).

So, here I am, waiting for the compressor to arrive (2 weeks to go). I hope I'm doing the right thing here, but anyway it's beyond my control by now. Somehow, my feeling is that the mere knowledge that the compressor is out there makes going for it quite compelling.

Is there anyone who has a first-hand experience with a Brera J5? Please tell me that the car IS going to be transformed, or I'm going to hang myself!!

- Question everything!
- Why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Cork

Member car:

BMW E92 320D

Re: Brera Autodelta Compressor on the way!

I'm hoping they build they big bridge from Athens to Cork so I could drive that machine when you make the conversion.
AO Silver Member

Let us know how you get on; I'm sure there are quite a few interested people....
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

Good man, keep us posted as to developments

And post a vid or two of the car once installeld!
AO Member

County: New South Wales

You will be delighted if money is no object to you, but don't read the road report in Performance Car otherwise you may feel disappointed , however if you search the tuning section one of the guys did his 159 3.2Q4 and was thrilled so I look forward to your opinion. The main problem is the Alfa 3.2 has the same gearing as the Audi RS6, BMW M5 and the AMG E63 and it makes the Alfa 3.2 feel heavy and slow.

Last edited by Kanga; 18-11-08 at 01:21. Reason: spelling
(Post Link) post #6 of 91 Old 19-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
You will be delighted if money is no object to you, but don't read the road report in Performance Car otherwise you may feel disappointed , however if you search the tuning section one of the guys did his 159 3.2Q4 and was thrilled so I look forward to your opinion. The main problem is the Alfa 3.2 has the same gearing as the Audi RS6, BMW M5 and the AMG E63 and it makes the Alfa 3.2 feel heavy and slow.
I agree that the gearing is a bit weird - for quite understandable reasons. 1st and 2nd gear are too short (obviously to overcome weight / inertia) and all gears after 3rd are long (for fuel consumption reduction*), and 6th gear is pretty much useless. The gap between 2nd and 3rd is annoying

* still, it doesn't quite work!!!
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus1971 View Post
Is there anyone who has a first-hand experience with a Brera J5? Please tell me that the car IS going to be transformed, or I'm going to hang myself!!
Yup... slimbloke has a J5
(Post Link) post #8 of 91 Old 19-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad View Post
Yup... slimbloke has a J5

Thanks Nomad! I just went through his posts - he seems happy enough to say the least - which makes waiting even harder!! Damn!

I promise a proper review as soon as everything is in proper shape
AO Member

gus, are they doing a sports exhaust and hi flow catalytic converters as well as that will give you a lot more torque and power on top of the power increase you will be getting from the supercharging?
(Post Link) post #10 of 91 Old 19-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
gus, are they doing a sports exhaust and hi flow catalytic converters as well as that will give you a lot more torque and power on top of the power increase you will be getting from the supercharging?
I have ordered the compressor kit (plus the suspension pack). I'm not really sure if the HP numbers they quote (352 Bhp for the 2008 version) are related to a new J5 (with EVERYTHING applied) or the effects of the compressor addition without anything else.

I hope it's the latter because...

The Ragazzon exhaust is already in place (the oval pipes are an acquired taste, but after some days you cant help but wonder how you cound stand the standard rectagular ones!)

I have also changed the catalytic converter. The main difference is that it comes in one piece (a big one!) instead of the factory-installed two smaller ones. Apparently the cells inside have a much bigger surface, and heat dissipation is improved, among other things. The local Autodelta dude said that it took Autodelta some time to develop it, as they wanetd to test its compatibility with the NA model as well as their compressor conversion.

Well, when I went for the exhaust / cat mod I had no intention to do the compressor conversion, but I'm glad I'm covered anyhow.

My impressions so far (remember, I'm still with the NA car!): The exhaust change makes a bigger difference that the cat change (most obviously). Low end pull is improved quite noticeably and the sound is of course half an octave lower (but not intrusive). The converter..well, I am not sure if the (minor) improvements I noticed are due to some perceptible effect or mere autosuggestion - but just knowing it exists makes your pocket itchy - it worked on mine!

More to come soon
AO Member

It is very strange as I spoke to Jano when he was testing a high flow catalytic converter for the 3.2 motor and sent him (Autodelta) my power graphs from twin 200cell high flow Catco catalytic converters a design by an Aussie exhaust manufacturer and he showed no interest whatsoever. The single large High flow cat is near useless and a waste of money and only improves performance by about 4 engine hp, the twin cats give 20hp and massive torque, I know because the Supersprint cat for the 3.2 is a single HJS cat the same as the one you have only Supersprint re label it and the gains are minimal and I did the before and after testing on my car at an independent dyno workshop with the twin Catco cats and not only did the dyno show the power gains but I could feel the massive difference, in fact I am going to phone Jano and ask him why he persists with the waste of money optionand ignored my dyno charts, I guess he had already gone down the path of a single cat like Supersprint and didn't want to pull out. The twin cats have much much better flow but are a much more complex design to make them fit. The origional cats are also twin but are 400 cell psi and if a big centre was better I am sure Alfa would have put in a large 400 cell cat because it would have been cheaper and easier.
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Garage

Member car:

E82 125i

what you've said doesn't explain why (physics wise) the twin cat set up is so much better than a large single one, why is it ?
(Post Link) post #13 of 91 Old 20-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
It is very strange as I spoke to Jano when he was testing a high flow catalytic converter for the 3.2 motor and sent him (Autodelta) my power graphs from twin 200cell high flow Catco catalytic converters a design by an Aussie exhaust manufacturer and he showed no interest whatsoever. The single large High flow cat is near useless and a waste of money and only improves performance by about 4 engine hp, the twin cats give 20hp and massive torque, I know because the Supersprint cat for the 3.2 is a single HJS cat the same as the one you have only Supersprint re label it and the gains are minimal and I did the before and after testing on my car at an independent dyno workshop with the twin Catco cats and not only did the dyno show the power gains but I could feel the massive difference, in fact I am going to phone Jano and ask him why he persists with the waste of money optionand ignored my dyno charts, I guess he had already gone down the path of a single cat like Supersprint and didn't want to pull out. The twin cats have much much better flow but are a much more complex design to make them fit. The origional cats are also twin but are 400 cell psi and if a big centre was better I am sure Alfa would have put in a large 400 cell cat because it would have been cheaper and easier.
Personally I have no reason to believe that a twin design is inherently better than a single cat (and vice versa of course).There must be pluses and minuses in both designs (flow, working temperature, effective square footage of the cells etc.).

What I really find VERY hard to believe however, is that one can have 20hp gain or so by changing the cats only - that would make sense only if the engine was seriously muffled by the factory cats, and I mean SERIOUSLY muffled.

A 4-5 hp gain sounds realistic enough for a 3,2 L engine capacity and I guess alternative designs can get you a couple of hp more or less (same with torque) - but if cat design was such a key aspect of performance I would expect more solutions in the market promising miracles and this is not quite the case (not to mention that AR and any automaker for that matter would try to squeeze some extra hp from there and flaunt it somehow- not the case again).

Sorry to say, highschool physics and common sense make such claims fall together with things like fuel magnets and photoelectric (sic) devices
AO Member

I can assure you I have no reason to be untruthful, I had 128kw at the wheels prior to the new hi flow cats and 138 kw ATW after. I then had another test with the SS exhaust installed and the result was a further 4kw gain ATW.I am sorry I replied to your post as I find your criticism baseless and insulting and considering I have the evidence and experience to back my claims. I thought I was helping you achieve a better result but you have taken my interest in your project as a criticism.I have posted the results on the forum I suggest you look at them before you insinuate I am a liar.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Easy Tiger

Why not just post up the graphs/results Kanga in this thread too - or a linky to your results thread - rather than posting in that way

*sits back and awaits a flaming too *
AO Member

Thanks for the advice Nomad but my computer skills are not up to posting them again as my daughter posted them for me then, but the thread was" Dyno results of high flow cats and Supersprint exhaust system" and the date 14/7/08
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Lick Re: Brera Autodelta Compressor on the way!

Quote:
Thanks for the advice Nomad but my computer skills are not up to posting them again as my daughter posted them for me then, but the thread was" Dyno results of high flow cats and Supersprint exhaust system" and the date 14/7/08
This one you mean

Kanga's Mutts Nutts Exhaust
AO Member

Thats the one. Nomad you are a computer wiz !
AO Member

PhilGTV, although I am no engineer I am aware of the single cat design, the Catco cats are short with a large circumference, being short they can be staggered. 2 of these cats give a much larger flow rate than the longer but not much fatter single cat, also the twin pipes going into the 2 cats gives a smoother flow than the two pipes into 1 cat. The single 200 cell cat in my view is lazy engineering and an extra 4 hp output over the original twin 400 cell cats is pathetic when 20 hp is achievable.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Quote:
Thats the one. Nomad you are a computer wiz !
Nah ... tiz easy once you know how

Those are some pretty good results BTW
(Post Link) post #21 of 91 Old 20-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
I can assure you I have no reason to be untruthful, I had 128kw at the wheels prior to the new hi flow cats and 138 kw ATW after. I then had another test with the SS exhaust installed and the result was a further 4kw gain ATW.I am sorry I replied to your post as I find your criticism baseless and insulting and considering I have the evidence and experience to back my claims. I thought I was helping you achieve a better result but you have taken my interest in your project as a criticism.I have posted the results on the forum I suggest you look at them before you insinuate I am a liar.
There was no personal attack involved, I can assure you that this was not my intention. It's just that I still find it hard to believe that a pretty simple component such as a catalytic converter can have this type of effect - and I don't believe I stand alone in my skepticism here.

If for some unknown reason that I can't quite grasp this design works the miracles suggested by the power graphs, then you must spread the word as we are in front of the best value for money conversion available.
AO Member

Gus, it isn't magic, the twin design with the shorter larger diameter 200 cell cats are a lot less restrictive due to their increased volume and flow of the exhaust gases.I did the dyno tests because the guy who designed and sells the cats said if they didn't perform he would take them off and give me my money back. The dyno operator was stunned at the result but I can tell you the car feels even better than the graphs suggest.I can't do anymore than post the results and relay my impressions but I have no reason to push this conversion other than inform other owners of how good it is and how it has transformed a heavy sluggish car into the car Alfa should have made in the first place considering it is such a relatively cheap exercise. It now produces 210 engine KW or 286 hp based on a 33% power loss ATW or 210 engine KW x 67% equals 140.7 ATW KW and my last dyno test is 141.2 ATW KW as per the power chart. As I said in an earlier post I am no engineer but the dyno tests and charts which every tuner and manufacturer use to test and prove their claims are genuine and the car certainly feels it has the power increase and then some. In fact I think it is so good that perhaps maybe even if you had been given the option the power increase may have been enough for you without having to spend 10,000 euros on the Supercharger, I suggest you get a copy of Performance Car magazine( UK publication,I can't find my copy to give the issue No. but it is in 2008 sometime) and read their road review of the Autodelta J 5 spider.
(Post Link) post #23 of 91 Old 21-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Gus, it isn't magic, the twin design with the shorter larger diameter 200 cell cats are a lot less restrictive due to their increased volume and flow of the exhaust gases.I did the dyno tests because the guy who designed and sells the cats said if they didn't perform he would take them off and give me my money back. The dyno operator was stunned at the result but I can tell you the car feels even better than the graphs suggest.I can't do anymore than post the results and relay my impressions but I have no reason to push this conversion other than inform other owners of how good it is and how it has transformed a heavy sluggish car into the car Alfa should have made in the first place considering it is such a relatively cheap exercise. It now produces 210 engine KW or 286 hp based on a 33% power loss ATW or 210 engine KW x 67% equals 140.7 ATW KW and my last dyno test is 141.2 ATW KW as per the power chart. As I said in an earlier post I am no engineer but the dyno tests and charts which every tuner and manufacturer use to test and prove their claims are genuine and the car certainly feels it has the power increase and then some. In fact I think it is so good that perhaps maybe even if you had been given the option the power increase may have been enough for you without having to spend 10,000 euros on the Supercharger, I suggest you get a copy of Performance Car magazine( UK publication,I can't find my copy to give the issue No. but it is in 2008 sometime) and read their road review of the Autodelta J 5 spider.

All this sounds really impressive and deserves some further checking I guess...Does this dude have a website of some sort? Where can we find more info on the subject? Some photos of the actual thing would be nice too...
AO Member

Google Mille Miglia exhausts, there are no actual pictures of my setup on his website but a similar system with different style cats for a 156GTA. I will get a photo of a set like mine next time I am in Sydney.
What more info do you want? Basically his twin 200cell cats have a much greater flow than the single 200 cell cat.The single cat only produces 3 or 4 extra hp over the original twin 400 cell cats, that should be proof enough that the single 200 cell cat Autodelta sell is near to useless and a waste of money, you even say you couldn't feel any difference between the OE cats and the single Autodelta cat and the Ragazzon exhausts gave you the extra power you could feel.

Last edited by Kanga; 21-11-08 at 11:26. Reason: spelling
(Post Link) post #25 of 91 Old 21-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Google Mille Miglia exhausts, there are no actual pictures of my setup on his website but a similar system with different style cats for a 156GTA. I will get a photo of a set like mine next time I am in Sydney.
What more info do you want? Basically his twin 200cell cats have a much greater flow than the single 200 cell cat.The single cat only produces 3 or 4 extra hp over the original twin 400 cell cats, that should be proof enough that the single 200 cell cat Autodelta sell is near to useless and a waste of money, you even say you couldn't feel any difference between the OE cats and the single Autodelta cat and the Ragazzon exhausts gave you the extra power you could feel.
Thanks for everything! It looks interesting. I will contact them to learn more details. And I will have a little chat with Jano on the issue, as he will be in Greece in a week or so (I don't deem his opinion as conclusive, just want to see what he has to say about this).

Incidentally, if anyone wants me to relay any questions to Jano, feel free and shoot

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
autodelta , brera , compressor

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page