Increasing Power on a TS? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 22 Old 05-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Devon

Member car:

GT 1.9 JTDm

Increasing Power on a TS?

hi, i have a 156 1.8 TS and i am thinking of increasing the performance? i have looked at autodelta with turbos/superchargers, possible chipping or even looking at making the engine breathe more easily (new air filters, etc)?! which of these is best? or if anyone has anyother ideas?? cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Re: Increasing Power on a TS?

If you want a significant power increase then I'd sell it and buy a more powerful car - it will be cheaper in the long run.

A more powerful engine would mean bigger brakes, wheels, new suspension etc etc. You will never get any money back on fitting performance parts.

Sorry to be negative

You can obviously go for air filter, exhaust, chipped which would give some increase without costing too much

Just my opinion
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
Garage

First thing i'd say is get a lightened flywheel on it, it completely removes the lag before 3000rpm, makes it quicker off the line and takes half a second off the 0-60.

A remap from red dot or autodelta after having a decent exhaust fitted would improve it even more.

It all depends on how much you love your car as it is. If you have a perfectly sound car then there is no point buying another and having the posibility of problems.

I've had several cars that i 'modded' and to be honest the best changes you could make would be to improve the handling. Anyone can drive fast in a straight line - it's how quick you are in the twiddly bits that counts

Lower the centre of gravity and fit an adjustable REAR anti-roll bar set to medium, any harder and you'll induce lift off oversteer which is great in the summer but not so good in the winter

It'll transform the car and you will not be messy with the maps/induction or require better brakes etc Did this to my car before last and it was a hoot! - cheapish to, Eibach springs will set you back around 90 and bar about 160 ish plus fitting.
(Post Link) post #5 of 22 Old 05-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT 1.9 JTDm

Thanks guys for the input its something to think about. i love my alfa too much to sell it, and it is still a baby at 48k. i will keep you posted with other ideas.
AO Silver Member

Garage

I completely agree with FIAarri, with a bit of tweaking the TS will handle better than any V6 due to its lightweight front end.

I drove my mates Audi A8 which is a 4.2 V8 Quattro and it handles like a boat, body roll is rediculous and i dont know how your meant to use any of that power unless your on a motorway.

He drove mine and wants to buy it, says its like a touring car!

As your cars only done 48k i'd wait until the bushes need replacing for example and then get it uprated.

PS - i like your supercharger thinking!

2002 156 Selespeed Sportwagon|Koni FSD Dampers|Eibach Pro Springs|Fully Powerflexed Front & Rear|Eibach Sports Stabiliser ARB's|Lightweight Flywheel|Lighweight Crank Pulley|Colombo & Bariani Cams|Ported by Peak Alfa|Custom Remap by Gus|Wiechers Aluminium Strut Brace|GTA Uprights & Brembo 330mm Conversion|276mm GTA Rear's|GTA Steering Rack |Custom K&N Intake Pipe & Induction|Brand new Gearbox/Actuator|Quaife LSD|CF2 Decat Manifolds|Supersprint Centre Section|CSC Duplex Exhaust|GTA Interior
AO Member

Member car:

147 2.0 ts lusso

hey guys how much would a good quality lightened flywheel cost i've got a 2.0 147 ts and the pre 3000rpm drag is a real pain is it really that good?
Damien_C

Suspension and brakes You will love it if you got them

AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
Suspension and brakes You will love it if you got them
+1 to that ... although if you've got the alfa sports suspension then I found that to be pretty good on my TS ...
AO Member

County: Hauts de Seine

Member car:

ALFA 156 BENZINA

No way ...

The best you can do is a BMC CDA dynamic air filer + exhaust.
Damien_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156Chris View Post
+1 to that ... although if you've got the alfa sports suspension then I found that to be pretty good on my TS ...
I just did it with my car and my god some fun it is now, was fun before now better again.

(Post Link) post #12 of 22 Old 06-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT 1.9 JTDm

so the general theme is uprated suspension, better air filter and exhaust. the next question is where and what to buy, so many products? and mainly are they alfa friendly!!
Damien_C

Supersprint exhaust, BMC CDA airfilter. Suspension KW's from my own experience have them on my car. Try Demontweeks for everything.

AO Member

County: Wrexham

Member car:

Take the lid off your air box and stick a £15 quid cone filter on the end wont go any faster but oh my god does it sound nice mine uses twice as much fuel now cos i cant stop reving it up
Damien_C

Waste of time money and effort if your going to do that.

AO Member

Member car:

I dont care it sounds twice as fast and its only a temporary measure until i can find a new air box mine had the usual rusted bolts and ended up breaking the lid so just stuck that on for the time being
AO Member

Member car:

ALFA 156 BENZINA

AO Member

Member car:

Buying an Alfa is a waste of time money and effort but we all do it its just one of those little things that keeps us busy at the weekends untill the right parts come along, and no i wouldnt recomend doing that if your looking for more power its just that £15 was the only option i had otherwise i would have had to driven it around with no filter at all
AO Member

Member car:

ALFA 156 BENZINA

AO Silver Member

Garage

I only buy from Alfisti now from experience - brilliant service!

Autodelta do a Lightweight flywheel for £329 and it fits the 1.8
AO Member

County: Leicestershire

Member car:

Not an Alfa :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud452 View Post
Buying an Alfa is a waste of time money and effort
What a load of [email protected]!!!

Anyway, Suspension is definately the way forward - have a look here

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tunin...n-options.html

You are never going to get stunning straightline performance from a N/A 1.8 enginge without spending £££ (and lots of them).It is all about enjoying your driving experience as much as you can and a good suspension setup is one of the biggest steps forward you can take. An air filter and exhaust will make the car feel slightly quicker as it should be able to rev freer and again make you happier in the process. There is every kind of performance mod for every kind of budget, (except mine of £0!! ).

Shop around and ask away on here you can always find some one who has done something you might want to do.
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

my alfa is a lot more responsive to drive than it was. mine is a 2.0, but the differences would be noticeable with yours. even replacing some tired parts would probably let the engine behave better, for example, a new standard airfilter, if yours is old and clogged. oil changes for the engine and gearbox aswell.

for response, you could look at a lightweight, smaller diameter crank aux pulley. made a difference to mine. cost something like £65 and half an hour to fit.

to cheaply improve the suspension just that bit, try a front upper and front lower strut brace. your handling will also improve if you replace tired standard parts, such as wishbones/bushes.

My 156 GTA with Wizrdovoz system Video 1 Video 2

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
increasing , power

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page