Is there any point upgrading the air filter on a JTD16v engine? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 16-10-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

Is there any point upgrading the air filter on a JTD16v engine?

This has always been one of the first treats my cars have received, but is there any point when it comes to a 1.9 m-jet as regards, performance and sound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Re: Is there any point upgrading the air filter on a JTD16v engine?

Its not as much the air filter that you should consider upgrading, but the whole air intake from snorkel to turbocharger. Its pretty convoluted and shortening it with a free-flowing filter on the end will seriously cut down turbo lag. Fitting a CDA to my JTD helped with the lag and it did sound better too, but as to whether it was £180's worth of kit I don't really know.
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

159 Ti

shot straight smooth intake pipe will make a big difference, smething like the gsr intake pipe, not cheap, but I doubt its more than 180quid.
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

For the first time ever stuff for the JTD is cheaper!!!! check it out (my credit card is at the ready!!)

GSR Induction
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156Chris View Post
Thats the first one ever fitted to a 2.4jtd and the pic is of it on my car!
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasons View Post
Thats the first one ever fitted to a 2.4jtd and the pic is of it on my car!
Your famous then ... I won't bother asking if it's any good then, because if it's on your car then it will be
AO Member

County: Wiltshire

Does that price include the airfilter, jubilee clips etc or is that purely the pipe? Also, does the MAF element fit directly into the pipe?

Was that 6+% gains on your car Jason too? Good result. I think I'll be ringing and ordering later.

Cheers,

Mark
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 Ti

GSR can supply an airfilter, I don't know what comes with the package as mine really was prototype.

The air mass meter fits into the pipe, so you disregard the old housing.

I didn't have a before and after on the dyno as it was fitted in derby, never got back to the dyno either as the car went intoa garage for various bits, including cracked exhaust manifold, and some tart set fire to the garage!!!
Anyway, the car survived (as it was outside that night) and is now up at my unit having the following done:

600x400 (core size) FMIC fitted.
Inlet manifold chop, reweld an reworking to povide 2.5" entry.
Reworking on the turbo housing so it exits the other way, and nlarging the exit on the housing.
And a shed load of other general maint stuff.

The GSR pipe for my car was its max length, which meant the filter sat in the inne wing where the intercooler would usually sit (I have always gone front mount for the IC)

The pipe does work well, spool up is loads quicker than the standard setup (again, I always got rid of the standard setup) and it will breath much better.

My problem could be - I may need to go 80mm on the intake to help stop the air mass going off the scale? Wait and see.
AO Member

County: Wiltshire

Will you be continuing with the inlet/outlet on the same side with the bigger core FMIC(if you need a home for your saab one, let me know ?). I know you mentioned you have had your manifold replaced previously and I don't know if it's an issue with the JTD's, but on my Fiat Coupe 20VT(very similar layout engine to the 2.4JTD's) the exhaust manifold entry is smaller than the head outlet effectively leaving a step. Just from taking off the manifold and grinding/rounding the manifold to enlarge it, it reduced the spool up time by 500rpm which is something I'll look at when I get the chance.

Cheers,

Mark
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 Ti

the new IC has inlet on drivers side at the bottom of the IC (means removing the fog lights to make way for piping on that side) then exits at the top on the passenger side of the car (RHD) which is just below the rad pipe.

..... _____________________ >out facing straight towards the engine
.....I.................................I
in>I_____________________I (in sideways)

the rad and a/c has been moved 10mm to the left (drivers side) and 15mm back (towards the engine) to make way for the IC - so it fits behing the chassis bar at the front.

Its the same old manifold, still in the process of being done - yes it has been months now!

The old Saab one is about, but to be honest I wouldn't bother because the entry/exit on the same side really messes up the flow.

Opposite sides like KGB had done is the best way to go, even if it means reworking the turbo housing to get the air going in the right direction.

The RS500 IC is a monster in size, and its not proving easy to fit, a lot of trimming and reworking on the slam panel and moving the rad, but it not far off with no loss of strength anywhere as reinforcment has been welded in to keep the bits that have been trimmed really strong.

Even the RS500 IC has had one end tank removed to be turned upside down and the pipes removed to be relocated - that should be done by the end of next week.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

RE Intercoolers
have you looked at how vw did the intercooler on the golf g60 rally car? basically an intercooler the same size of the radiator stuck directly infront of the radiator (basically clips onto it) will try to find a picture

Massive capacity - and inlet outlets at each end

dont discount small truck intercoolers - say those found on nissans - cheap big and inlet / outlet as required

g60 set up
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...9072008618.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...9072008617.jpg

Last edited by marcevo1; 18-10-08 at 12:24.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcevo1 View Post
RE Intercoolers
have you looked at how vw did the intercooler on the golf g60 rally car? basically an intercooler the same size of the radiator stuck directly infront of the radiator (basically clips onto it) will try to find a picture

Massive capacity - and inlet outlets at each end

dont discount small truck intercoolers - say those found on nissans - cheap big and inlet / outlet as required

g60 set up
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...9072008618.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...9072008617.jpg
Good info - Thanks.

that pretty much what I have now got, its an inch shorter in height than the rad and and inch wider.
The alfa does not allow the pipes to wrap around both sides of the rad like the G60 one does, hence moving the rad to the left so at least one pipe can fit around the rad, the other side has o go around the lower structural support also.

I have heard a few people moan about coolig issues with the rad if you stick a big IC in front, but Saab, Volvo, GM, VW and others do it as does the G60. Always rework the fans so they come on at certain boost levels to keep things really cool.

The LCV intercoolers are massive, certainly the ne on our 160bhp VW 3.5t van, but they have plastic end tanks so they can't always withstand pressures of over 2bar. (our van split by theend tank, I doubt it runs more than 1.2bar)
AO Silver Member

have you considered water spray onto the intercooler? (safer than water mist as it purely cools the intercooler)
my old integrale had it on it (standard fit on the first few evo1's)coming on at a given boost pressure. could be addapted to temperature as well with a simple sensor.
lancia WRC stated that the spary effectivly increased the capacity by a stagering 25%!

Makes it lookas your radiators burst at traffic lights though!

subaru pinched the idea a few years later...

yeah 2 bar is a tad hard on plastic ended coolers! and samco pipes! alloy interconect pipes recomended to stop them poping!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 Ti

I have not seriously thought much about spraying the IC, as I use water/meth injection directly into the intake charge.
Whyen its all up and running I will take a few temp checks, before, after and ambient temps to see how things are running.
I am kinda' hoping that the size of the IC and water inj. will be enough, the grat thing about the water injection is being able to squirt in high volumes of methanol, which in itself can add a few good bhp.
(Post Link) post #15 of 16 Old 20-10-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156Chris View Post
For the first time ever stuff for the JTD is cheaper!!!! check it out (my credit card is at the ready!!)

GSR Induction
Does that mean you're gonna treat me to a nice induction kit?
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasons View Post
I have not seriously thought much about spraying the IC, as I use water/meth injection directly into the intake charge.
Whyen its all up and running I will take a few temp checks, before, after and ambient temps to see how things are running.
I am kinda' hoping that the size of the IC and water inj. will be enough, the grat thing about the water injection is being able to squirt in high volumes of methanol, which in itself can add a few good bhp.
go the hole hog... nice cool nitro! theres a lad in wrexham running nitrous in a mk4 golf tdi - its SSSOOO quick - until it runs out of gas!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
air , engine , filter , jtd16v , point , upgrading

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page