help in fitting struts - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 10-10-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

help in fitting struts

Hey guys/gals,

any tips on fitting new struts to my 156.
I got them in the post today and will be fitting them sunday.

what i want to know is, is there any nuts/bolts that I should pay extra attention to, any niggly/fiddly bits. any bits i should remove to aid my cause?

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 8 Old 11-10-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Re: help in fitting struts

ok well im struggling a little.

the pinch bolt that holds the strut to the lower folk strut (hex bolt) rounded and was seized solid
so I had the idea of trying to take the whole thing out as one. this lasted a good few hours in the process splitting the outside cv boot pop the drive shaft out I hear you say... well i dont have a 36mm socket so im screwed on that one.... im going to have to go from behind and release the circlip and knock the cv joint off and fit a new boot.

also while taking the bottom arm off I managed to break the rubber on the bottom ball joint, altho has to be said, its pretty knackard anyway so I need a new bottom arm also. cant get parts till monday and i need the car moved so I cut the bolt from the strut off and have loosely fit one in its place (this also needs to be replaced for new) i managed to loosely fit everything back together and put the wheel on and put it back on the deck as it got dark. will have all day on it tomorrow where i hope to get more then one strut done lol...

im off for a few beers now... night night
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

Alfa's always give you nice surprises!
(Post Link) post #4 of 8 Old 12-10-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

ok well this sunday.

after getting out of pit slightly late for breakfast due to supping a few too many last night, I ventured back to my awaiting alfa to crack on and getting my suspension fitted.. (11:30)

I found some proper sized shanked bolts for the pinch bolt on the folks which i put onto the offside and done that side up and dropped it on the deck.. (with spring retainer set 1/3 of the way down its sitting quite low indeed. only just about managed to get the jack out )

so then moved onto the nearside and using my knowlage from what I learnt from the offside, I was determined to split folk and strut in situ but alfa got better of me. that dammed pinch bolt rounded with only the slightest amount of pressure. so out with the angle grinder again to cut both sides off. but i cant get enough swing with a hammer in the arch to get any decent purchase on the remaining pinch bolt to knock it out .....

with that I started watching formula 1 and did my usual routine of falling asleep after first pits and waking for the final 10 laps

so back out to the alfa and im beaten, I am going to have to get the whole unit out as one. and thats a big pain in the butt. liner out, cutting of old spring etc etc

please, im prob missing an easy way bearing in mind i have not got the hub nut socket to remove shaft ... lol someone releive me of my pain
AO Silver Member

County: Kent

have you removed the track rod end from the hub ?
with this removed, it may allow you to move the hub round a bit more so you can get to the bolt to hammer it out.
AO Platinum Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

also rear struts, the main bolt that passes through the arms can sieze itself into place, lots of lube and wiggling and they should come out (eventually)

AO Platinum Member

It sounds a bit complicated.

Ralf S.
(Post Link) post #8 of 8 Old 14-10-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

ok well i got the old one out easely enuff. just cut the spring into twenty peices and it all just kinda fell out

nearside strut is in place, just need to bolt it all together now and tighten up and front is pretty much done...

now onto the backs... you say the large arm bolt gets stuck too??
ill prob just cut the arms off and buy some new uprated ones if they do..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
fitting , struts

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page