2.4 jtd 20v steinbauer tuning box - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 06-10-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
2.4 jtd 20v steinbauer tuning box

due to a change in plans (need to spend money on the rally car opposed to the family 'runabout') my new boxed and unused p box is up for sale. Never fitted and not even a spot of dirt on it!

these cost 500 from steinbauer and autolusso

make me an offer via PM? sensible ones please... if it doesnt sell it will be up on ebay soon

more info here

STEINBAUER Tuning Technologies

Alfa Romeo Power Upgrades - Auto Lusso - Tuning - Steinbauer P-Box for Alfa Romeo Diesels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: 2.4 jtd 20v steinbauer tuning box

The £499 on the site includes fitting right?
how much are you looking for bearing in mind the buyer would then have to fit themselves? i dont know how much work is involved in this.
message me if you want as im interested in purchasing.
adam
kgb
AO Silver Member

County: -

p-box instead of real remap.....500pounds vs. 300-400pounds.

one fits all=easy work........days spend to make one car perfect=hard work.

County: Norfolk

Member car:

various

Interesting quote... a real remap ???? most flash tunes are done by people who just flash it in your car.. many have no dea what settings have been changed because the developer (most european and there are only few real developers) code the software.

We have seen many so called real re-maps (flash tunes) that just increase common ail fuel pressure, like cheaper tuning modules.
Im not saying there are not good re-maps/flash tunes out there because there are!!

There are advantages of both systems but in comparision its down to the individual if they want to buy a product that they can have and hold or buy a product that they will never see and not actually know what it is doing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb View Post
p-box instead of real remap.....500pounds vs. 300-400pounds.

one fits all=easy work........days spend to make one car perfect=hard work.

The Emotion of Motion
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

159 Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinbauer UK View Post
Interesting quote... a real remap ???? most flash tunes are done by people who just flash it in your car.. many have no dea what settings have been changed because the developer (most european and there are only few real developers) code the software.

We have seen many so called real re-maps (flash tunes) that just increase common ail fuel pressure, like cheaper tuning modules.
Im not saying there are not good re-maps/flash tunes out there because there are!!

There are advantages of both systems but in comparision its down to the individual if they want to buy a product that they can have and hold or buy a product that they will never see and not actually know what it is doing!!!

tell us more about the tuning box, what sensors do these adjust, do they adjust on a linear scale or cap voltages, more info please...
AO Platinum Member

IMHO I was put off by this box, as the instructions state it's a 'hard-wired installation' and soldered onto the throttle cable (my memory right )

With cars upto 3 years old, if you make a warranty claim after your car is recovered (it's happened 5 times to me), then you don't have a leg to stand on.

Alfa UK+one particular dealer tried to accuse me of a remap and wouldn't have honoured any warranty work (they never found one of course). Goodness knows the situation if they'd have found a physical change to the fuelling system.

Im not knocking this box in any way - I'm sure its very good, just speaking from personal experience.

There really are so many conflicting reports ref remaps, power boxes etc. Some dealers happy to see these things (mangos offer the autodelta jobbie for example), others not.
ARUK's view if things get messy and a claim is put in by the owner may be another story...

-Keep It Moist-
I'm experiencing deja vu and amnesia at the same time... I think I've forgotten this before.
145 QV->156 1.8->166 3.0->156SW 2.4->166 3.0 V6->156 2.4 20v->2.0Spider->159 2.4->159 2.4->159 TI 2.4 Modifica->Merc C-Class->Jag XJ->Boxster S->BMW 335d XD ->BMW 440i->Merc AMG

kgb
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinbauer UK View Post

I agree with you that there are a lot of so called tuners that have no idea what they do to the cars....worse case scenario is someone using software like ECM to tune cars....BUT

By real remap I mean good remaps, made by people who spend a lot of time developing their work!

On both of my Alfa's I have spend more then 1 year of making different setups for different conditions...I am talking extreme remaps..not standard ones...for track days for daily driving, for highways and so on.....my latest fun project is switchable remaps....similar to the switch in the MiTo.

But in the end like you said, it is down to the individual...

Alfa 147 QVD 300hp by BlackAngels, Alfa 159 2.4 QVD, Alfa 159 TI 1.9 QVD and Crosswagon edition Nero, Alfa Stelvio 2.2 Q4
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

159 Ti

I have always prefered a remap, red dot, but I would really like to see what this guy has to say to justify a tunin box, and I am willing to listen with an unbiased ear.

I just hope he/she doesn't dissappear like a certain fellow from an angelic tuning company did when he couldn't provide an answer.

So please, provide more info to a chap who is listening with an unbiased ear...

Member car:

various

Hi again,

Please do not think I'm biased even though we produce a box, nor am I on here to advertise! It just really grates me when customers are told a load of old bull just to get a sale...
Developers who spend a lot of time producing either a box or sofware for ECU will reflect this in price, so a cheap product being either flash tune or box obviously took less development, manufacturing and testing time. There are even guys selling kits on ebay so people can flash there own cars, good idea... I think NOT
(no offence to any individual but the cost of consquences if things go wrong could be very high)

My philosophy is you get what you pay for and its usually right in every part of life, I did say usually so I dont need proving wrong!.

Most flash tunes are generic the developer produces a piece of software with certain data exagerated/changed and then this is put in every car and this is the same with a box. Please do not believe it is tailored to a car because its not. I have dealt with many flash tuners that have the software on there laptop, plug it into OBD or equivalent and flash the original ECU. Most (hopefully) will save your original settings first as if they dont and your car doesnt run with the flash tuners software then they are in deep sh**. So my advise is always go to a reputable company prefereably not someone who will do it in a layby.
Sometimes the car doesnt produce what the flash tuner/box manufacturers states mainly because of tolerance levels but many different factors can alter this. In this case the flash tuner will install another generic map that is of higher settings again only produced by the developer they dont generally change the existing one as this would take hours and hours. For a prefessional set-up with rolling road then for the time taken, an technical engineer to change existing software would cost much much more than 300/400 we are talking four figure sums!

The difference with our module is that we can tailor the map in the software of the module to give power/torque at diffferent RPM's where the customers wants it. We can install the box then the customer takes it for a drive so they can get a feel for it then we can record data whilst its being driven and change data on the move. As we have software engineers to design/produce the software on the laptop to be able to do this quickly and efficently but we dont do this for free as this does takes time and unfortunately time is money (we're not a registered charity just yet).
Unlike most of the tuning boxes we dont increase common rail fuel pressure.
But anyway I could ramble on about this subject all day and the methods of tuning etc.

The MiTo, I havent seen one yet what is the switchable part or is it just like the older BMW M3 and Astra with spoarts switch ???
What I mean by this is that they only shorting the lentgh of the throttle. i.e at half throttle (on the pedal) the car thinks its full throttle. Very easy to do we can produce a module to do this (infact we have). This makes the car sportier to drive but through town is nightmare (hence why they switch it).

think I have gone off on tangent now.. I'll try to re-read the posts and answer the other questions.

P.s sorry for typing errors!! and the above is only my humble opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb View Post
I agree with you that there are a lot of so called tuners that have no idea what they do to the cars....worse case scenario is someone using software like ECM to tune cars....BUT

By real remap I mean good remaps, made by people who spend a lot of time developing their work!

On both of my Alfa's I have spend more then 1 year of making different setups for different conditions...I am talking extreme remaps..not standard ones...for track days for daily driving, for highways and so on.....my latest fun project is switchable remaps....similar to the switch in the MiTo.

But in the end like you said, it is down to the individual...
(Post Link) post #10 of 12 Old 28-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alfa-159-Brera...1%7C240%3A1318

back on ebay due to non payer (from the AO formum )

Member car:

various

Hi, Yes you are correct the instructions state to hard wire the reference cable to the throttle pedal. I can change the software in the module to auto generate its own signal but for higher smoother power gains then the reference signal is a must then module can record data from the throttle so it can adjust at exact RPM's.

A flash tune is traceable an depends if the dealer is that concerned they bring in Alfa technical to check the settings, basical try to read the software. If the Alfa Tech cant read the software then they know its been changed.

Obviously with a piece of hardware then it can be removed, if there is nothing left on the car then its totally un-traceable. A small 'nick' on one of the wires in the loom would never be found and proving that the customer did it would be impossible.
Please beware with some of the tuning boxes that just increase common rail pressure we have seen not on Alfa but other applications that the ECU records data, such as position sensor, common rail fuel pressure and turbo boost sensor data. When changing the common rail fuel pressure (done by an input on ECU) this suddenly looks odd becuase of the relation between the common rail fuel pressure and other sensor data. This will have alarm bells ringing with the manufacturers technicians! Again they wouldnt do this for no reason but incase of a big warranty claim they may do this.
With our module we only change outputs from the ECU so the ECU doesnt see any abnormal sensor data changes and relationships between sensor data remains the same. The only thing that does increase that the ECU may record is higher boost pressure. This naturally rises when increasing fuelling.
The original ECU is a clever piece of kit and will adjust according to sensor data, this is why increasing the likes of fuel pressure works ok but obvioulsy putting the injector under more strain (200/300bar inpressure is alot). The method of PWM (pulse width modulation) altering the duration of injection to develop more power and torque is the method also used by manufacturers. The likes of John Deere (for example) produce one engine for a range of tractors 125hp up to 220hp and they use the same technique as us, PWM. They dont increase fuel pressure/ boost pressure or anything else because its not required.

I really need to do some work now.... or maybe I will answer another post....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
IMHO I was put off by this box, as the instructions state it's a 'hard-wired installation' and soldered onto the throttle cable (my memory right )

With cars upto 3 years old, if you make a warranty claim after your car is recovered (it's happened 5 times to me), then you don't have a leg to stand on.

Alfa UK+one particular dealer tried to accuse me of a remap and wouldn't have honoured any warranty work (they never found one of course). Goodness knows the situation if they'd have found a physical change to the fuelling system.

Im not knocking this box in any way - I'm sure its very good, just speaking from personal experience.

There really are so many conflicting reports ref remaps, power boxes etc. Some dealers happy to see these things (mangos offer the autodelta jobbie for example), others not.
ARUK's view if things get messy and a claim is put in by the owner may be another story...
(Post Link) post #12 of 12 Old 28-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

the hard wire bits easy to sort - put a connector in the line... remove in 10minutes flat for warranty issues - doesnt show up on the software either unlike a remap will. whilst you can reflash the original map the amount of reflash numbers will be logged on the ecu which attracts attention... eitherway with warranty issues i think alfa would struggle to prove anything but would be very pedantic to deal with... so no change there then

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
20v , box , jtd , steinbauer , tuning

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page