Xenon conversion of long beam on a Giulietta - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rundberg
  • 1 Post By Cuore_Sportivo_155

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 06-09-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Luxembourg
Garage

Member car:

Giulietta QV

Xenon conversion of long beam on a Giulietta

I hope I post this in the right section...

Although I love so many things about my GQV the long beam does not make that list. They suck donkey b***s! There are bicycles with more adequate front lights than the Giulietta.

In my native Sweden the natural solution to these issues is extra lights. That will not fly on my car! For a while I was contemplating led extra lights hidden behind the grille, but that would still look a bit funky and also restrict the airflow to my fat front mount

Instead I decided to try a xenon conversion of the long beam. Funny thing is that while not fully legal, it is not clearly illegal either. Xenon conversion of the dipped beam is a whole other story and essentially impossible to install in a law abiding way without a lot of modifications.

I bought a kit from a very reputable company in Sweden who has been working with xenon conversion kits for a very long time.

The kit contains two HID bulbs with H1 fittings and two ballasts.

In essence it is very easy to install, fewer parts than the average kinder egg.

First I figured out where to mount the ballast.

Then it is just a question of fixing the ballast in place. I used high strength velcro in order to easily rip it out and put in halogen bulbs for the annual technical inspection (the thing the brits call MOT).

Next up is to make a hole for the grommet for the cables to/from the ballast.

Yes, both rounder and prettier holes have been made in the history of holes, but these served their purpose...

Next up is to put the bulb in the socket, connect and connect the original 12 volt leads to the leads going to the ballast.

Then connect the cables to and from the ballast and but back the rubber cover with the grommet now inside.

Then turn on the car and enjoy three times as much light from the long beam!

*Vroom*, *headlights on*, *long beam*, *darkness*, "what, Jesus on a unicycle f***king Christ!! What's wrong!!?", *look through instructions again*, *test ballast and bulb again on the battery*, * measure voltage on leads in the car*, "ah, could be reversed polarity! ", * switch polarity*

"Cool, now it should work!" (aka famous last words)

*Vroom*, *headlights on*, *long beam*, *blink*, *darkness*, "what, Jesus on a unicycle f***king Christ!! What's wrong!!?"

*Long troubleshooting later*, "ahh, Alfa has only fused the headlights with 7.5 amps! The startup current eat such puny fuses for breakfast!"

So, to make a long story short, I spent an hour troubleshooting why a lamp with a blown fuse wouldn't light up! By this time the lights had been on and I had started the car so many times that the battery was flat. So, I borrowed my neighbour's car and went to get a battery charger and some 10 amp fuses. With the new fuses and a fully charged battery things work like a charm.

It's hard to tell the difference in a garage, but these headlamps are BRIGHT now.

After all that I cleaned up the installation a bit and made things tidy. No mood job is complete without a generous serving of cable ties!

Is there anyone else here who have made xenon conversions on their Alfa?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Dublin
Garage
Nice!
So, how do they shine ?

Do you have a link to the place you bought them ? (if you bought them online)
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 06-09-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

Giulietta QV

As I said, hard to say in the garage I will update with full impressions when I have had the chance to fly evaluate them. I bought them from a Swedish company called Xenonkungen . They have been established on the Nordic markets where people pay a bit more attention to car lights (probably due to lack of the natural kind during half of the year).

You can find cheaper options on eBay, but I prefer to use something I can trust. I ordered them to my mum's place and picked them up when I was visiting. I don't know if they ship outside the Nordic countries.

(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 08-09-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

Giulietta QV

Xenon conversion of long beam on a Giulietta

Finally I had a chance to test the new lights in the dark (or at least dusk). Holy smoke what a difference! Whereas before the feeling was to have two flashlights taped to the hood, now the area in front of the car lights up properly. It turns on immediately and here, I think, is the real difference between a high quality package and a cheaper one.

The light is at least as good as the one we had on our Passat with factory xenon. Still, the active light on my wife's BMW is yet another notch above. That being said, more than worth the money (~100 Euro) to get such good light!

cannotstop likes this.

Last edited by Rundberg; 08-09-17 at 21:36.
(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 15-09-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

Giulietta QV

After quite a bit of night driving I can conclude that this is an awesome upgrade! First time I turn on the high beam there is a half second delay only. I installed the Philips new X-treme vision in the dipped beam at the same time and they are OK as far as halogens go. I have used Osram Hightbreaker Ultras before. They gave the same light as the Philips but their life span was ridiculously short. The new generation of Philips X-treme vision is supposed to have a much better life. If they also start to break, then I'm tempted to convert the dipped beam as well despite the whole legality thing...
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
The G with factory HID has both HID and Halogen high beams, btw... the HID part is concentrated narrowly straight ahead, the Halogen part is the same as it was on your car.
cue2 likes this.
AO Member

County: Italy
O.T. ! Pardon !

[QUOTE=Cuore_Sportivo_155;16469057]...
I need help from you into :
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/engi...-overhaul.html (2 litre TS CF3 motor overhaul)
Thanks

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
beam , conversion , giulietta , long , xenon

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page