1.9jdtm cf3 to cf4 conversion - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

3Likes
  • 3 Post By TribesMan

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 16-08-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
1.9jdtm cf3 to cf4 conversion

Has anyone ever attempted this and is it possible? Struggling with a tune on a hybrid with the cf3 engine we are running at moment and tuner is saying it's down to the edc15 ecu not being flexible enough (ie we can't have a bigger rated boost sensor plumbed in as the ecu doesn't have the ability to change it), so rather than spend 1.5k on a custom ecu we were going to look at converting to cf4. I'm aware of injectors, lamb sensor, fuel pump, and cam belt size (supposedly due to fuel pump). Is it just a case we can swap all these and just a cf4 engine loom and ecu on and it should run, or is there more under lying differences between the 2 engines?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
What model Alfa is it in?
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 16-08-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

1.9jdtm cf3 to cf4 conversion

Sorry, Alfa 147jdtm 53 model

16v version

Last edited by Samson2001; 16-08-17 at 15:45.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
ECU talks to body computer also - they are coded together as part of the immobiliser system.
AO Silver Member

County: Argyll and Bute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samson2001 View Post
Has anyone ever attempted this and is it possible? Struggling with a tune on a hybrid with the cf3 engine we are running at moment and tuner is saying it's down to the edc15 ecu not being flexible enough (ie we can't have a bigger rated boost sensor plumbed in as the ecu doesn't have the ability to change it), so rather than spend 1.5k on a custom ecu we were going to look at converting to cf4. I'm aware of injectors, lamb sensor, fuel pump, and cam belt size (supposedly due to fuel pump). Is it just a case we can swap all these and just a cf4 engine loom and ecu on and it should run, or is there more under lying differences between the 2 engines?
What do you mean the ecu doesn't have the ability to change it? Are you meaning you want to use a 3bar instead of a 2.5bar one?
Are you aiming for more boost - how much more?
(Post Link) post #6 of 9 Old 16-08-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Yea I believe the turbo fitted should be able to boost around the 3bar mark without to much hassle so wanted to put a 3.5bar sensor on instead of the original, the tuner has done cf4's so usually just mods the ecu to except it but they are telling me it's not possible to put the bigger sensor on the edc15 ecu as it can't be changed on the map.
(Post Link) post #7 of 9 Old 16-08-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
ECU talks to body computer also - they are coded together as part of the immobiliser system.

Ah I was worried this might be the case, is it something that is impossible or would we have to do something like take the body computer etc from a donor car and swap that to?

It's going on a road legal track car so tbh a lot of the stuff has been removed, but we still have working immobiliser and body computer at the moment
AO Silver Member

County: Argyll and Bute
Quote:
Yea I believe the turbo fitted should be able to boost around the 3bar mark without to much hassle so wanted to put a 3.5bar sensor on instead of the original, the tuner has done cf4's so usually just mods the ecu to except it but they are telling me it's not possible to put the bigger sensor on the edc15 ecu as it can't be changed on the map.
This company can probably help with a Digibooster 1. I believe it will recalibrate the sensor so the ecu thinks its still the original sensor, but the actual boost will be higher, depending on which actual sensor you fit. 50 is a lot cheaper and looks like a plug in job so worth an email.

https://www.tuning-diesels.com/digiboosters
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Can I help you with a bit of an advice?

Find another tuner...

Difference between JTD 16V CF3 and JTD 16V CF4 is minimal in terms what you can achieve by tuning.
They both use very similar EDC16 ECU... all 16V ECUs are EDC16, only JTD 8V 115HP use EDC15...
CF3 uses EDC16C8 instead of EDC16C39 in CF4.

You can use whatever boost sensor you like in any of those ECUs, you just need to re-calibrate it. (And the same goes for EDC15...)

Problem is your tuner has no knowledge.
JS JTD, emre2blue and Allerd like this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
19jdtm , cf3 , cf4 , conversion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page