LED Headlights - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

2Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 26 Old 05-07-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Lancashire-
Help LED Headlights

Hi,

As per title. Has anyone had any experience of these bulbs. Technology seems to have moved on from when they first came out, with beam patterns seeming to be better, ease of fitment etc,

Mainly my queries are; does the reduced heat in the headlamp cause condensation issues, are there any issues with canbus.

Now before you jump down my throat, I have had HIDs fitted to my last 2 cars, an MG ZT and a Mk1 Leon Cupra and have been very aware of dazzling people. My headlights were adjusted to ensure the beam pattern didn't blind other drivers and both cars sailed through MOTs. I have never been flashed and I spend most of my driving on country lanes. Upgraded halogens just don't cut it for me, I have tried pretty much all of them, even tried 100 watt dips (had to fit a relay as the wiring on the ZT didn't like the current) and they were all so-so.

Opinions are welcome but let me know if I need a tinhat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 857
County: Zuid Holland
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marts66 View Post
Hi,

As per title. ......

Mainly my queries are; does the reduced heat in the headlamp cause condensation issues, are there any issues with canbus.

....:
actually, one of the main problems with LED headlights is the extreme heat generated.....

[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]
(Post Link) post #3 of 26 Old 05-07-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Damn, now I have even more decisions to make
AO Member

County: -
LED Headlights

One of the main problems with the LEDs is a bad light pattern.

And the best light pattern comes from philips led x-treme ultinon..
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
LED is very visible but not very good at illuminating the way. A filament bulb centred in a parabolic mirror is easy to direct at what you want to see. Sticking an LED light source in a parabola does not work. LED is good for indicators , brake lights and DRL lights which are all about being visible to others though.
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sahl View Post
One of the main problems with the LEDs is a bad light pattern.

And the best light pattern comes from philips led x-treme ultinon..
see from approx 26' 00 in the video
(Post Link) post #7 of 26 Old 05-07-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Well, I've been looking at these

Top 6 Best LED Headlight Bulbs For Cars - MyCarNeedsThis

and these

6 Brightest LED Headlight Bulbs 2017 - Best Headlight Bulbs

The lumens on the Phillips isn't too high and for the price I think there are better bulbs available, decisions decisions.

County: California

Member car:

GTV 1750

I tried a set of the Kensun bulbs and was disappointed by the quality. I have two sets of LED lights (https://www.clearwaterlights.com/col...s/all-products) on my BMW R1200RT (Sevina and Darla) and I can't say enough good things about them.

I use them to make the lights on the bike appear like something other than a car a long distance away (high power during the day and low power at night).

Very high quality product.
AO Member

Quote:
Well, I've been looking at these

Top 6 Best LED Headlight Bulbs For Cars - MyCarNeedsThis

and these

6 Brightest LED Headlight Bulbs 2017 - Best Headlight Bulbs

The lumens on the Phillips isn't too high and for the price I think there are better bulbs available, decisions decisions.
You are making the "general error" of focusing on lumens, but I cannot stress enough that many lumens does not make up for a good light pattern. I have tried several different LED bulbs that were supposed to be top of the line, also ones with many lumens, but now I am waiting for a set of Philips for my low beam as I am tired of light being put out where its not supposed to.

They are expensive, they are with less lumens, but I do feel they are worth the money.
(Post Link) post #10 of 26 Old 06-07-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
You are making the "general error" of focusing on lumens, but I cannot stress enough that many lumens does not make up for a good light pattern. I have tried several different LED bulbs that were supposed to be top of the line, also ones with many lumens, but now I am waiting for a set of Philips for my low beam as I am tired of light being put out where its not supposed to.

They are expensive, they are with less lumens, but I do feel they are worth the money.
These claim to have a great beam pattern

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OPT7-Motorc...headlight+bulb
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Where?

Reviews seem to be by motorcyclists. They want to be seen as well as see ahead. Perfect for them.
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
These claim to have a great beam pattern
of course they do ....

example philips bulb:
http://www.xenondepot.com/Philips-12...eview-s/62.htm

Last edited by jwq; 06-07-17 at 16:54.

County: California

Member car:

GTV 1750

LED Headlights

Yes, I have two sets on my BMW R1200RT, mostly to be seen. Excellent lights from https://www.clearwaterlights.com I have a pair of Darlas and a pair of Sevinas. I use them on full power in the daytime and low power at night. The light output and changed outline instead of one light which looks like a car that is far away, the combined lights are in a triangular shape (original light position + lights by the handgrips and lower down by the cylinders) which I've been told is very attention getting.

I can't really speak to the light pattern as I don't use them when there is oncoming traffic. On full power they are stunningly bright and throw the light a long way down the road. They are very easy to control as an LED and be turned on and off thousands of times a second, and as the on/off dwell times change, the light simply looks brighter or less bright to the human eye. Clearwater has cleverly rigged up a rheostat to allow adjustment of the light output for general running and a wiring scheme that turns the lights to full power when the horn or high-beams are activated. Perfect for a motorcycle.

I haven't put a set on my GTV, but if I can figure out a mounting setup that won't look wonky........

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
Where?

Reviews seem to be by motorcyclists. They want to be seen as well as see ahead. Perfect for them.
(Post Link) post #14 of 26 Old 21-09-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi, well as I started this thread sometime ago, I thought I'd update you all on where I'm at. I have fitted a full set of Philips LEDs to both dip and main and I can't begin to tell you how great the light output is. The beam is fantastic and the pattern too. They were a bugger to fit and I ended up taking the bumper off and removing the headlights but it was all worth it. Main beam is staggering, I had Cibie oscars and super oscars on a car years ago and I thought that was bright but these are in a different league.

I have a video which I'll try to upload soon to show you.

Bye for now
AO Member

Good effort Marts66! Can you do a write up? With pictures? It would be great if you did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(Post Link) post #16 of 26 Old 21-09-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Will do Carbonlive, not got any pics of the process but will try to show the work done retrospectively.
(Post Link) post #17 of 26 Old 03-10-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Well here I go with a quick write up. Apologies that there are no pics but I'll try to be clear.

So, I started off by buying a pair of these for the dips;

https://www.auto-lighting.co.uk/prod...0lm-Lumen.html

and a pair of these for the mains;

https://www.auto-lighting.co.uk/prod...0lm-Lumen.html

At first I thought I was going to be able to manage with the headlights in but after dropping the flamin' clip inside the headlight (grrrr) decided to remove the bumper, I followed this guy's instructions;

and it was remarkably easy. I didn't have the torx socket for the large bolts on the slam panel so I used a large flat bladed screwdriver and they came out very easily. Rest the bumper on some carpet or old curtain to make sure you don't scratch it. Headlight removal was then very easy, just 2 x 10mm bolts. Tip, mark the bolt head position to help with realigning the headlight so trim lines are nice and neat when refitting.

With the headlights out I started on the dips first. These bulbs are pretty clever as the base plate locks onto the bulb meaning you put the base plate into the headlight housing first and then twist and lock the bulb into place. For those of you who have struggled getting the bulb clip over HID wiring, you'll know what a pain this can be. Cut out a suitable sized hole for the grommet and then fit it over the heat sink strapping, extending it out as per instructions. Refit grommet and dips done.

Mains are even easier! The H1s fit straight in and the base plate isn't separate to the bulb as there is no need. You'll be presented with 2 wires though, this is easy. Remove the earth to the bulb holder and connect the smaller of the 2 wires (from the bulb) to this and the larger to the 12v to the bulb. You can't do this wrong as the connections are different sizes. Again cut the grommet out and fit the heat sink as per instructions.

Check everything is working and then refit.

Refit is the exact reverse of removal. I managed this on my own but it might be easier with 2 people.

The lights are great, matching the DRLs and providing a great light. The bulbs are EU stamped meaning they are 100% legal. I have travelled down country lanes, B roads, A roads, urban roads and motorways and never once had people flash me. No warning lights just white light from the front. Result!!!
maxiboy wales likes this.
AO Member

I have a set of the Philips Ultinon H7 ready to go in, hope they are as good as people say :-)
(Post Link) post #19 of 26 Old 04-10-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
I have a set of the Philips Ultinon H7 ready to go in, hope they are as good as people say :-)
Going off the price they should be excellent, although illegal here in the UK. Are you not going to fit mains while you're doing the dips? Missed opportunity if the headlights are out already!

Good luck with the fitting, it'll be well worth it once done.
AO Member

Quote:
Going off the price they should be excellent, although illegal here in the UK. Are you not going to fit mains while you're doing the dips? Missed opportunity if the headlights are out already!

Good luck with the fitting, it'll be well worth it once done.
I already have good quality and well working LED's in the mains :-)

Hope to get the dipped ones done today!
AO Member

Got them installed and tested yesterday. Best ones ever!
(Post Link) post #22 of 26 Old 08-10-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Good job, did you have to take off the bumper to do yours?
AO Member

Mine is a 166, so fortunately not
AO Member

County: Flintshire
Quote:
Im about to pull the trigger and get a set of Ultinon myself for the dipped beam (and if they work good later do them for the high beam too). Id appreciate any advise in regards to the headlight backcover, i.e: do you need to drill/cut open so the LEDs fit ? Or how do you do it?
Car is a 159 SW by the way.

Thanks in advance
(Post Link) post #25 of 26 Old 10-01-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiDoc View Post
Im about to pull the trigger and get a set of Ultinon myself for the dipped beam (and if they work good later do them for the high beam too). Id appreciate any advise in regards to the headlight backcover, i.e: do you need to drill/cut open so the LEDs fit ? Or how do you do it?
Car is a 159 SW by the way.

Thanks in advance
I'm afraid I can't help you with this as yours have a built in fan, mine have the strips to dissipate the heat and I did have to drill a hole in the back cover. I guess the question is for you do you have enough clearance in the headlight assembly to allow for the fans to fit in and will there be enough air movement to allow for adequate cooling?
edraven71 likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
headlights , led

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page