Review - 147 GTA ARBs Upgrade - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 19 Old 25-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Review - 147 GTA ARBs Upgrade

After consulting people who had upgraded their cars with stiffer Anti Roll Bars I decided to upgrade the ARBs on my 1.6 147 Lusso with the ones off the 147 GTA. Initially I wasn't really sure what the end result would be but I can now categorically say that it is the best upgrade I have done so far.

After picking my car up from Wyn Lear this morning I headed out of Keighley on the old road over the Pennines and over to Hebden Bridge, this is a long and twisting up hill B road with some good twisty bits to check out the extra stiffness the new ARBs would imbue the car with.

As soon as I got in the car I could feel the difference, the loading on the steering was much heavier through the first quarter turn and felt a little bit dull at first, but as I turned onto the streets and nipped through traffic and round mini roundabouts it became immediately apparent that my cars handling had been transformed.

Gone was the nose in wallow nature and rear end lift with fast cornering, and after less than half a mile I was starting to grin from ear to ear.

Heading out onto the faster traffic free country roads I felt a little scared by how different the car felt. Before when cornering the body would roll and the VDC would compensate a lot so I could get away with bad driving. Now with no roll you can really feel the slip both at the front and the rear and control the rotation of the car using just the throttle all the way through the corner.

I suppose the cold (3 degrees C) and damp roads helped a little there as well, but I could perceive that I was cornering faster in the damp than I was before, a good 10mph up on the standard suspension on most corners.

Out on the tops there are some fairly bouncy undulating straights that in the dry would be a little scary on the standard setup, I'd normally back off approaching 60 as the car lurched from hump to dip but with the GTA ARBs I felt a lot more at ease, the body more controlled and I believe the car would easily hit 80 on these types of roads without any fuss.

There has also been a positive affect on hard braking, on the standard set up I found that under hard braking the front end dived to the left quite a lot, with the GTA ARBs there was much less dive and braking seemed to be evenly distributed across the wheels keeping the car moving in the intended direction rather than off towards the kerb.

I was beginning to trust entirely in the new set up and the extra feel at the rear where you can feel it slip rather than wait for it to just let lose really lights the handling up. In short I can't wait to get back in the car again.

I haven't got the costs yet as Wyn had originally quoted for a different rear ARB because on the cars with Xenons the self levelling is a function of the rear suspension so the Rear ARB is slightly different on those cars.

So, I've had fitted the following I expect the total inclusive fitting to come in below £400

1 Front GTA ARB
1 Rear GTA ARB (None self levelling suspension)
2 Drop links for front ARB

I wish I'd done it ages ago it's a far better upgrade than a loud exhaust or air filter.

Sean

Nero Fuoco 147 Lusso - Bianco Nuvola 147 GTA - Carbonio Brera SV - Azzurro Le Mans GT 1600 Junior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
Re: Review - 147 GTA ARBs Upgrade

Just be a little careful of the throttle lift off when cornering now though eh, the car will come around more than before.

regarding dead steering get your geometry setup done, should sort you out.
(Post Link) post #3 of 19 Old 25-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Cheers, I got a bit of lift off earlier its defo something im going to have to be careful of. What do you mean by geometry? Tracking?
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire

Yup, most likely the toe settings.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750 GTV

Wave Re: Review - 147 GTA ARBs Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
After picking my car up from Wyn Lear this morning
Just been to see Wyn!
I think I tripped over your old ARBs.

Sounds like a good mod.
(Post Link) post #6 of 19 Old 25-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksAlfas View Post
Just been to see Wyn!
I think I tripped over your old ARBs.

Sounds like a good mod.
Haha, could you find anywhere to park? Looks like he's had a rash of breakdowns in cars with bits of engines out all over the place.

So far it's a VERY good mod
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

156 GTA

Be careful in the wet until you get used to it..
Otherwise enjoy!
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset

Member car:

156GTA & 33racer

Hi folks,

I am just about to take the rear anti roll bar off my 156GTA, so it is for sale. Any offers. I guess somewhere around £50 would do it. Not quite sure what they are worth.

Make me an offer.....

Edward.
(Post Link) post #9 of 19 Old 25-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailbraker View Post
Be careful in the wet until you get used to it..
Otherwise enjoy!
Cheers TB, I intend to
AO Member

Member car:

Alfasud TI

Another worthwhile mod in combination to GTA ARBs is to fit the transverse GTA brace bars that connect the front suspension subframe to the floorpan. You will notice that the whole body will stiffen noticeably and the steering will be sharper and more precise.
(Post Link) post #11 of 19 Old 26-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfasud.ti View Post
Another worthwhile mod in combination to GTA ARBs is to fit the transverse GTA brace bars that connect the front suspension subframe to the floorpan. You will notice that the whole body will stiffen noticeably and the steering will be sharper and more precise.
Cheers for that ti, do you know how much this would cost? Is it worthwhile having it done when I have my dampers and springs upgraded later in the year or a separate thing so I can see the accumulative benefits?

Sean
AO Member

Member car:

Alfasud TI

I don't remember the cost but I remember that it is similar to that of the two GTA ARBs.

I did it separately so that I could see the difference from doing just that and nothing else. It has nothing to do with the suspension anyway so you will not save any work being done twice if you do it along with the suspension upgrade.
(Post Link) post #13 of 19 Old 26-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
I don't remember the cost but I remember that it is similar to that of the two GTA ARBs.

I did it separately so that I could see the difference from doing just that and nothing else. It has nothing to do with the suspension anyway so you will not save any work being done twice if you do it along with the suspension upgrade.
Sounds like the way to go then, I'll talk it over with Wyn (the engineer) and see what he thinks it will cost, thanks again
(Post Link) post #14 of 19 Old 26-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Feels like a brand new car
kgb
AO Silver Member

County: -

Quote:
Yep,Yep...I drove Timos 147 with that setup and it is a huge improvement over the standard setup.

That is what I will be doing in the near future...the brace bars are around 60-70Euro for both.
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
Membro Medio

County: Bratislavsky

Quote:
Hi. I am not sure if I understand the description OK, I am looking on ePER parts 46756286 and 60673019. Can somebody confirm these are the right parts? Are they a straight fit to non GTA 147?
(Post Link) post #17 of 19 Old 27-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotcha View Post
Hi. I am not sure if I understand the description OK, I am looking on ePER parts 46756286 and 60673019. Can somebody confirm these are the right parts? Are they a straight fit to non GTA 147?
Just spoke to the guy who does the work on my car and he said the brace bar is only on the GTA. He had a look at eper and it picks up off the bottom arm of the suspension mount but he doesn't know if the floor pan has a threaded insert for the brace bar to just go straight on.

He said if nobody can tell us on here he'll put it on the ramp and we'll have a look and see what sort of job it is to modify the floorpan to suit.

KGB/Ti can you guys give us any more info on this?

Cheers

Sean
AO Member

Member car:

Alfasud TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotcha View Post
I looked up the ePer drawings of these part numbers and they seem to be correct. If you look under the floor of a 156 GTA or a 147 GTA yo can easily see these braces sticking out of under where the subframe and floorpan connect.

Installation is easy. The subframe already has holes where the bolts are screwed. The floorpan may or may not have the corresponding holes or it may even have the ones on one side only but it s easy to drill the missing holes.

The cost of the two braces incl. VAT is about €100, which is about £63.

"Black holes are where God divided by zero." - Steven Wright
(Post Link) post #19 of 19 Old 27-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

That's brilliant thanks very much

Sean

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
147 , arbs , gta , review , upgrade

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page