Music - old technology - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

9Likes
  • 1 Post By PaulR
  • 2 Post By PaulR
  • 2 Post By FredDibnah
  • 1 Post By PaulR
  • 2 Post By Paddy OPlastic
  • 1 Post By Sterzo

(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 28-06-16 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk
Music - old technology

Digging around in the attic today I came across my old portable MiniDisc player compete with 40 or so discs. After a recharge it came to life and, you know what, it sounds really good.

It sounded so good in fact that I also found my old Pioneer MiniDisc recorder/player as well and hooked it up along with the CDplayer /receiver and Tape player. All of these were in the attic too. After a dust off, a trip to Maplins to replace a lost optical lead, it is up and running again - everything works! All of the discs I play on the portable player were recorded from this set up.

I have to say it is so much easier these days - for portable listening it's all on my phone and can be blue toothed when in the car etc BUT it was so much fun playing with the old stuff and the sound quality is so good.

Anyone else into sound nostalgia?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MiniDisc.jpg (204.1 KB, 6 views)
joeymannero likes this.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
I've got a few CDs in the car. Even though it has an all-singing media player & Bluetooth streaming.

I think this is the last time I'll have a car with a CD player in it.
(Post Link) post #3 of 20 Old 28-06-16 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tata4Now View Post
I've got a few CDs in the car. Even though it has an all-singing media player & Bluetooth streaming.

CD player - how avant garde.

I still have the original Radio/Tape player in the Spider - so I connected the MD player with this:-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hi Tech Connec?.jpg (176.0 KB, 6 views)
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire - Darn Sarf!
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tata4Now View Post

Binned the CD player in my mini went with a mechless head unit. Couldn't remember the last time I used a cd in my giulietta so decided I didn't need it.

The G and mini now iPod/iPhone music players (and radio) only. A lot less hassle.

Wasn't the mini disk supposedly better than CD quality??

Julian
AO Member

County: Anglia

Member car:

156 SW 2.0 JTS

Really missing a cassette player in the Alfa.
Some of my (irreplaceable) stuff goes back to the '70s - vinyl & cassette.
I still resent some of being forced to upgrade to CD, let alone paying again for MP3.
It's all very convenient, but is it a real gain?
How many full albums are listened through nowadays?
I can't be sure that attention spans are shrinking, as films seem to get ever longer!
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

@PaulR

Got one of those somewhere in my gadget box
AO Member

County: -
I like the nostalgia, but not in my *****. I remember listening to The Monkeys on 8 track in an old Chevy truck when I was a teen.

Last edited by Antisocial; 07-09-16 at 17:01.
Durty dog

I had a mini-disc and was always impressed with the sound quality.

AO Platinum Member

Mini disc was less hi fidelity as it used similar lossy compression as MP3 (Psychoacoustics?)
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Paul...this reminds of the good old days of vinyl LPs which after leaving on the table beside our window would buckle in the sun....but would still play but like a rollercoaster on the turntable
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
MiniDisc is a digital medium, not analogue. Therefore, any differences in sound quality are simply a function of encoding/compression (if used at all) bitrate and the quality of the playback equipment (speakers, leads, amp, etc.)

This is, of course, assuming that the master copy that is used is the same in all cases. An external source of perceived quality differences could come from different mastering used on different releases of the same music. A good example is the so-called "loudness war" (Google it for more info) where older releases of many music tracks sound a lot better than later releases even on the exact same medium and encoding.

The CD standard uses uncompressed audio, while MiniDisc uses a proprietary compression system which is also "lossy", meaning that it discards some of the theoretically inaudible sounds in the original uncompressed copy. MiniDisc audio does not require decompression on playback, as the compression is accomplished by discarding "unnecessary" data.

MiniDiscs therefore have, unquestionably, worse audio quality than CDs.

If you take the exact same recording and put it on a CD an a MiniDisc and play both through the same amp and speakers, the CD will sound better.

It's a different matter when it comes to other digitally compressed music, like MP3 and similar formats. With these it depends on bitrate and specific codec.
(Post Link) post #12 of 20 Old 29-06-16 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

To be honest I have never really understood all of the fuss about different quality.

Driving along in a car, for example, all of the external noise is going to negate the difference in format.

At home unless you play the same tracks on different systems one after the other then any decent format is going to sound good without the need for comparison.

I still play vinyl as well as CD and like the odd click and crackle of the older albums (talking late 1960s here) in my collection.

For convenience I have a couple of thousand tracks on the iPhone/computer which sound fine when played through headphones or home system - if forced though I would say these don't sound as good as CD/vinyl.

Still playing with the MiniDisc though - I like the fact that it is tactile and has mechanical whirry bits like all good machinery should.
cue2 and ronan like this.

Last edited by PaulR; 29-06-16 at 19:02. Reason: One word correction
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Glad the whirry bits are still whirring Paul

I'm with you on quality, I accept the perceived limitation of whatever medium I use.
AO Member

County: Anglia

Member car:

156 SW 2.0 JTS

For me, it's like why have 1000 pixel resolution when my eyes only perceive 600.
I spent a fortune on hifi before I needed the ear trumpet.
Now it's about listening to the emotion in music rather than the purist perfection.
When listening in a car, with engine and road noise added in, anything goes.
I really miss my cassettes🙁. The boom amps in some cars must only be to really p*** off others, or show off to others of the same mentality - those less chronologically challenged please feel free to disagree!
AO Gold Member

County: Surrey
When I was studying for my "O" levels back in the late 1970s my brother had his first car and it came with an 8 track player. He felt that was "old fashioned" so upgraded to a cassette player with flashing graphic equalizer!

Not wanting to throw out a perfectly decent 8 track, we got an old car battery and wired it up in our bedroom (that's right, a 15 year old and a 17 year old sharing a bedroom) to the speakers on our stereo system and I would play the very tiny selection of 8 tracks that came with his car through it while studying.

My favourite by far was an 8 track from the Detroit Spinners that had a track on it called (or at least the chorus was) "Yes my name is Michael, Michael is my name"

I know every single word of that song. I must have listened to it a thousand times.

When my dad cleared out his garage last summer, he found that 8 track player in a drawer in his workbench. I am determined to set it up when I get back to the UK this week and see if I can get a tune out of it. I don't want any high tech solutions to get it working - I want to wire it to a car battery and link it into some speakers in my bedroom.

EDIT UPDATE

Huh. Just googled the track and apparently it is by The Miracles and not the Detroit Spinners. I definitely recall the Detroit Logo on the 8 track so maybe it was a Motown Compilation 8 track...... I'm going to have to do some research... maybe the old fella has the actual 8 track cassette in his garage too!
ronan and chrishendrix like this.

Last edited by FredDibnah; 05-07-16 at 06:46.
(Post Link) post #16 of 20 Old 05-07-16 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

^^^^^^^^^^ reminds me of when I was about 14 and had an old valve radio in my bedroom.

I got hold of 8 speakers - and I mean the speakers only, not enclosed in anything - and hung them in pairs on each wall from the picture rail (God that REALLY ages me). I wired them all up by just extending the wires from the radio speaker and could not understand why it sounded so feeble and crap.
ronan likes this.
AO Gold Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

As a kid I got a reputation for being able to fix old valve equipment like radios, TVs and oscilloscopes. My method wasn't usually particularly scientific - I'd replace the valves which weren't glowing properly and/or swap out each valve in turn until it worked. There was one broken AM radio I was given where I was delighted to work out that the voltage drop across the bulb which illuminated the dial was necessary for the rest of the radio to function and this bulb had blown. One new bulb later and I had the best sounding AM radio I have ever heard. That's what I used to listen to John Peel late into the night.
Starkers and chrishendrix like this.
AO Platinum Member

Valve amps are still out there.

Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy OPlastic View Post
My method wasn't usually particularly scientific - I'd replace the valves which weren't glowing properly and/or swap out each valve in turn until it worked.
My Dad was a professional - he'd call at your house to fix your rented radio when it packed up. He's not around to ask, but I'm pretty sure that was his method too.
tony4hop likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
I'm a pro guitar player and most of my gear is analog and or valve! just sounds better than the digital stuff, however they can work well alongside each other if you make the right choices in combinations and playing live a degree of pre programming is required making midi controlled analog being the gear of choice.

re the minidisc player/recorder I still use one with an old sony stereo mic for recording rehearsals after finding that more modern methods could on occasion be unreliable,I still play vinyl , and have a cassette player that gets regular use, the only medium i don't use and think is a bit pointless is CD's offering nothing special in either sound quality or convenience/portability.

still think tape is best for recording but if you can then load the whole lot into pro tools to edit /mix it you have the best of both worlds!

It's Busso time ..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
music , technology

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page