Connecting a Smart TV - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 14-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

Connecting a Smart TV

What better when you need help, than to ask a group of dynamic tech-savvy intellectuals?

Iíve just bought a full HD Samsung Smart TV. Brilliant, except it didnít want to connect to my Virgin WiFi Superhub. They are in opposite corners of an average 3 bedroomed deatched house, the WiFi router upstairs in the front bedroom, the TV downstairs in the living room at the back.

I borrowed a USB WiFi antenna (itís about 18 inches tall), plugged it into the TV and hey presto, found the network and connected to it. I can sometimes access BBC iPlayer, but if I try to play a programme, the BBC gives a message saying thereís a problem, and that itís probably the internet connection.

Iíd guess this is down to bandwidth. (Though I can park my laptop next to the TV and play the programme happily).

Bored yet? What are my options?

Iíve thought of running an Ethernet cable, which is a pain, but a white Cat 6 would not be too conspicuous, and would hide most of the way in picture rails. Obviously Iíd have to get through a floor and ceiling en route. (And post on the thread of incompetent DIY-ers).

However, Samsung specify a Cat 7, presumably because of the HD, and Cat 7 is 8mm thick with a minimum bend radius of 4x diameter. Also they seem to be any colour but white, and hugely expensive.

Do you think I could get away with a Cat 6 for this? And why is the TV so demanding compared with an eight year old laptop which is how Iíve normally watched programmes in the past?

I shall be pathetically grateful for your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Giulia 2.0

VirginMedia "super"hubs can operate with different frequencies. The older 2.4Ghz frequency and the newer 5Ghz. It could be that the laptop is using the older 2.4GHz and the tv uses the 5GHz. They have different properties, if I remember correctly, the older one is better for range and the newer one is better for bandwidth. This could explain why different devices behave differently. It's also down to size and placement of the kit as well.

The are several threads on issues like this before. I have a similar setup with Virgin, although I use a different WiFI router. I user Powerline adapters to extend the range. These plug into electric sockets and so no cabling is required.

You would need to buy 2. Either 2 that just extend and provide a LAN cable, or one that extends wifi instead.
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/netg...for-smart-tv-c
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/netg...for-smart-tv-c

The above are links for the type of things I use. This is the latest technology, you can also get cheaper versions using older standards that may work just as well. In practice you don't get the bandwidth that is quoted.

This kind of technology is being built into Sky's broadband offerings when used with Sky Q.
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Try the 5GHZ method first :

How to switch your router to the 5GHz band

Have to admit to being a great fan of wired LAN connections....have one from our upstairs router to our wee android box downstairs....all hidden away nicely.....saves any hassle when the i am watching something and it doesn't buffer with the kids sucking the life out of the wifi with their phones and tablets
AO Member

County: Durham
I've found Powerline adapters the best compromise between WiFi and cable. Powerline adaptors convert your network to run through your house mains cable. Much more reliable than WiFi. Move your equipment? Simply plug in the adaptor somewhere else.
I've got 4 of them around the house, even long distance to the garage at one time (had a webcam looking at the drive)
Example pair on Maplin
You can also get ones that provide WiFi access at the same time to increase coverage
Full range on Maplin
Notice there are different speeds, better to match speeds on separate devices. I'm using 500 speed without issue on Virgin Broadband
Cheap second hand ones turn up on eBay.
AO Member

County: Staffordshire
Garage

Member car:

159 JTDm Lusso

I had problems with powerline adaptors so I got one of these to give me wifi in the garden

https://youtu.be/cS9S99T1mfg
AO Platinum Member

County: Good old Sussex by the sea

Member car:

The train :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart1714 View Post
VirginMedia "super"hubs can operate with different frequencies. The older 2.4Ghz frequency and the newer 5Ghz. It could be that the laptop is using the older 2.4GHz and the tv uses the 5GHz. They have different properties, if I remember correctly, the older one is better for range and the newer one is better for bandwidth. This could explain why different devices behave differently. It's also down to size and placement of the kit as well..
It probably isn't relevant here but I have a Virgin hub and my laptops connect to the 5Ghz frequency and my phone is connected to the 2.4Ghz frequency.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

for powerline adaptors. Had them for years and never ever had an issue with the smart TV.

Tv has one, iMac upstairs uses one and my Marantz system uses the third.
(Post Link) post #8 of 9 Old 16-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

That's great info; thank you to everyone who has made suggestions and provided links so far. I'll probably go with the powerline adaptors, subject to the agreement of my system administrator (who's in bed at the moment).

Tony_S: does your range extender maintain the same bandwidth, or does it use half for input and then output the other half?
AO Member

County: Staffordshire
Garage

Member car:

159 JTDm Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterzo View Post
Tony_S: does your range extender maintain the same bandwidth, or does it use half for input and then output the other half?
To be quite honest I've never really checked but it seems quick enough and manages to give me a reasonable connection anywhere in my garden. iPlayer and NFL network don't have any problems streaming HD

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
connecting , smart

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page