Computer slowed right down. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

11Likes
  • 1 Post By AlfaDrivingFan
  • 1 Post By Nige005
  • 1 Post By Paddy OPlastic
  • 3 Post By Paddy OPlastic
  • 1 Post By steveisfrowning
  • 1 Post By Angoose
  • 2 Post By TheGrimJeeper
  • 1 Post By Headgasket14

(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 09-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Suffolk
Computer slowed right down.

The last couple of days, my PC has slowed right down. Takes ages to connect to a web page (sometimes saying page can't be found, then brings on the page). Even moving from one item to another on here can take a long time. I can here the PC grinding away.
There is plenty of room left, and cleaned disc C. I have Nortons protection, what can I do now please, to clear the problem?
I am on free windows 10 upgrade, and have been for some time. It has always been ok up to now.
I was thinking of taking it back to a previous date,(say, last week) but on windows 10 cannot discover how to do this.
I am using chrome. I downloaded firefox last night, but that is the same. Extremely frustrating!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

Norton can slow you down, over time it becomes so big everything else has to compete for space with it. That was my experience anyway.
Headgasket14 likes this.
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

I'm no expert but in both the recent and not so recent past I've used CC Cleaner with good results.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

I'm still on W7 and intend to remain on it, my friends experiences with W10 has not encouraged me to change. Like you, the first point of call is to restore to an earlier time, easy on W7, no idea on W10, perhaps a Google will help or is the loss of this function yet another " improvement " ?
Headgasket14 likes this.
AO Gold Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaDrivingFan View Post
Norton can slow you down, over time it becomes so big everything else has to compete for space with it. That was my experience anyway.
That certainly used to be the case but in the last few years it has improved immeasurably.
Headgasket14 likes this.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headgasket14 View Post
The last couple of days, my PC has slowed right down. Takes ages to connect to a web page (sometimes saying page can't be found, then brings on the page). Even moving from one item to another on here can take a long time. I can here the PC grinding away.
There is plenty of room left, and cleaned disc C. I have Nortons protection, what can I do now please, to clear the problem?
I am on free windows 10 upgrade, and have been for some time. It has always been ok up to now.
I was thinking of taking it back to a previous date,(say, last week) but on windows 10 cannot discover how to do this.
I am using chrome. I downloaded firefox last night, but that is the same. Extremely frustrating!
Scan your disk for errors. I've seen this when a hard disk was just about to give up the ghost. I'm sure you have your data backed up, don't you?

Otherwise run the Malwarebytes scanner. You might have picked up a nasty which Norton has missed.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
What Paddy said. Both counts.
Headgasket14 likes this.
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

Brera S

Another suggestion is spybot. And try Firefox for your browser.

What's the pc like otherwise? Is it slow with other programs?

Disconnect from the internet (unplug the router).

Start Task Manager. Under the Performance tab, there's a resource monitor button - click on that - It gives detailed CPU/Disk/Network/Memory information. If a hard drive is on the way out it may give clues

Ashampoo do a good HD analysis tool

https://www.ashampoo.com/uk/gbp/pin/.../hdd-control-3

You may be able to run the current version as a trial, usually the previous version is free

I'm not a fan of Norton, having had too much grief with it in the past (since it became Symantec). It may've improved.........
Headgasket14 likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Giulia 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy OPlastic View Post
Scan your disk for errors. I've seen this when a hard disk was just about to give up the ghost. I'm sure you have your data backed up, don't you?

Otherwise run the Malwarebytes scanner. You might have picked up a nasty which Norton has missed.
Another quick way to check for hard disk errors is to have a quick look in the event logs. When a hard disk is on its way out it often leaves thousands of errors in the logs. They'll usually be red errors as opposed to all the usual guff in their.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart1714 View Post
Another quick way to check for hard disk errors is to have a quick look in the event logs. When a hard disk is on its way out it often leaves thousands of errors in the logs. They'll usually be red errors as opposed to all the usual guff in their.
That's a really good suggestion but it's my experience that finding and interpreting the Windows logs is a bit beyond the average user.
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
It's a punishment from God.

For all the smut.

steveisfrowning and Rewe like this.
(Post Link) post #11 of 17 Old 10-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Suffolk
Thanks guys for all your input. I ran Malwarebytes, and bingo......problem solved and back up to speed.
steveisfrowning likes this.
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headgasket14 View Post
Thanks guys for all your input. I ran Malwarebytes, and bingo......problem solved and back up to speed.
Happy Days !
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Hallelujah!
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
See, we like you, ya owld tory git.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Botnet Zombie?
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm

Buy a 64GB USB stick. Put all your most important files onto that and any downloaded programs you 'must have' i.e Chrome, Audio Player, Video player, Photoshop e.t.c. I use Chrome for the net, Foobar for Audio and VLC player for video. These are my stables, my computer is very streamlined and everything that is valuable is backed up also on an external hard drive.

Then format hard drive and reinstall windows 10. Due to your 64GB backup stick, this will be a doddle. Also if you buy another USB stick and purchase or convert your windows 10 into an ISO file, you can stick it on a USB and install from that. USB install takes about 15 mins tops, its what alot of gamers use to keep their rigs running its best.

Do this every time your computer slows down to a crawl or after a year, which ever comes first. It's the computers registry files that eventually become un-organised and there is nothing bar defragging which in the long run is more counter produce, that can help speed the computer up. (Assuming the obvious that you have cleaned the PC cache of net files, recycle bin, desktop files e.t.c)

Don't bother downloading an anti virus program, if you must buy a program that updates and enables scanning but does not run in the background, there is no need for this if you are careful about what web pages you go and what, if you download. I use Malware Bytes and CCCleaner. That is all. KISS (Keep it simple stupid).

I've been building PCs, gaming rigs and Audio playback PCs for Hi Fi intergration for years, this is by far the easiest and simplest means of keeping your PC running its best.

Think of an anti virus program like a DPF filter on an Alfa. Do you want reduced performance for a little extra piece of mind, or unrestricted performance?

Basically the internet is the biggest killer of performance going, if you keep your PC offline, it'll run like new until you fill the hard drive to 90% capacity. The internet is a gateway to many malware and viruses if you do not know what not to click on but just generally loads up your computer with 'bloatware' that you are completely unaware of.

2007 159 1.9 JTDM - Argento - Black Leather
Wheels: 18" Multi-spoke in Dark Anthracite
Chassis Mods: Powerflexed front-lower wishbones
Engine Mods: EGR Delete/De-Swirled
Exhaust: Wizard Dual Backboxes Conversion
Lighting Mods: 6500K HID's & Fogs, Osram LED Conversion, Tri-Halo Conversion
Aesthetics: Ti Sideskirts, De-Chromed Grille, Brera Nose, EZ Lip, Biscione plate badge, Decals, B/Silver Giulia badges, gloss black interior / exterior trim

Last edited by AlfaJoe92; 10-04-16 at 20:02.
Durty dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy OPlastic View Post

I use Malwarebytes, i find it a thorough tool.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
computer , slowed

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page