The simracing thread - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Tarnish3
  • 1 Post By peppyuk

(Post Link) post #1 of 23 Old 18-12-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Halland
Garage
Well Happy The simracing thread

Hello all!

Couldn't find a specific thread about simracing so I thought id make one.

Since owning an Alfa is the official license to beeing a TRUE "gear/petrolhead" atleast according to Jeremy, I bet almost everyone one here also like a little bit of motorsports once in a while..

Anyway everyone knows that it isnt very practical or cheap to do real life motorsporting and thats where simracing comes in..

Here is a link to some nordshleife action in a lamborghini huracan gt3,(wife messed it up in the end), excuse the mess, we are in the middle of mooving so yeah..

https://youtu.be/B4T592F4ZuE

Anyway it would be interesting to see what type of setups/rigs you guys and gals use and what sims you like the most.

I use a modded fanatec pwts with a srw-s1 f1 steering wheel,clubsport pedals and a ghetto triple screen, (waiting for the VR headsets to release).

My list of simracing games according to what I like the most:

1.Assetto corsa: the best allrounded sim, not the best in any specific factor but its veeery close, also updates just keeps making it better and better. It also includes some nice Alfas and laserscanned Nordschleife (nice combo)

2 Stock car extreme: the best "feeling" sim, not the best tracks or cars but it just feels right somehow, provided you dial in the forcefeedback correctly..

3 Iracing, basically for the online racing. It has by far the best online racing, very realistic in terms of people respecting each other on the track and the netcode, definetly not the most realistic "feeling" or physics wise, and it can be a bit pricey since it's subscribtion based and you have to buy additional cars and tracks that are not included in the subscribtion fee..

4 rfactor 2, very realistic in terms of "feel" and physics but I just dont end up using it that much..

5 project cars: Very nice graphics and all but for me personally the feeling of the sim has to be as realistic as possible and thats where pcars falls short, pcars is aimed a bit more towards the casual player I feel..

6 well here are the old sim breeds, if you are a sim guy like me you already know what these are, Rfactor1, simbin titles, netkar pro, gt legends etc..

I am basing all these perceptions on my real world experience, i've driven the c30 racecar 3 times for 3 hours in a row, porshce cup car once, formula 3 once and I also have a local track on which I sometimes destroy the company car (bmw 320d msport) so I feel my perception of theese sims have some kind of credibility to it..

If this thread gets some attention please lets not make it about need for speed and similar games. Most of these that I mention above are somehow classified as realisitc/sims and I also know that the same game engine that drives Rfactor1, Rfactor 2, stock car extreme is also used by some of the top f1 teams in their simulators, so only games/sims that are more on the realistic side of driving please

Last edited by Bazzabara; 18-12-15 at 03:21.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

I don't think you'll get much response to be honest. I've raised the subject of Assetto Corsa in the past, and it didn't get much attention. Certainly it sounds like you take it far more seriously than you'll find anyone else on here does!
(Post Link) post #3 of 23 Old 18-12-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Thats suprising!! nice name though..
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

I did almost think I was talking to myself when I saw yours!

There's a group on here who play Gran Turismo, but we just don't seem to have any PC gamers, so your audience is limited. It's a shame, would be fantastic to get a few of us together on such a game. If you do a search on Assetto Corsa, you'll probably find my thread, and you might find a couple of people to join you.
AO Member

County: Durham
Hi, I consider myself a serious PC simracer.
Logitech G25 wheel with Leo Bodnar pedal adapter box. I have three screens but waiting on Santa to deliver a new graphics card for me to make the most of it.

LFS was my sim of choice since 2003. They've just released S3 update with a small amount of content, more to follow.

When that went too quiet I was messing around with AO'ers in Gran Tursimo 6 for about a year. Great fun to get my racing fix.

Now turned my attention to Assetto Corsa. Alas, too little time to race as much as I'd like, still many cars and tracks I haven't tried yet.

Previously dabbled with GT Legends, and was a beta tester for iRacing.

I'm in a racing team Triple 7 Racing and known these guys as friends for many years.You can find me on Steam as Tarnish3, or online as P1LOT.
We've just changed to be a real world club, recognised by Association of Eastern Motor Clubs (AEMC) , pending recognition by UK Motor Sports Association (MSA)
AO Member

My team are organising our next 1 off event for 4th January, Ginetta G55 at Thruxton.
Simracers from here are welcome to join us and should be good fun. Speed not important, we just ask for clean racing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MNR-Event-Thruxton.jpg (212.0 KB, 10 views)
AO Member

I see Assetto Corsa are planning lots more content for the next year, including more Alfa Romeos
No details of which ones yet, though.

Read the news post here
(Post Link) post #8 of 23 Old 02-01-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Sounds great! I wont be home on 4th though and im not to familiar with truxton either, how often do you organize these events and what sim is it going to be on? As for assetto corsa content, I bet the new giulia qv is one of them.. Btw have you tried simracing with vr, and of so whats your opionion on it?
AO Member

Sorry, I should have explained that it's all on Assetto Corsa.
T7R Monday Night Racing is on every 2 weeks.
Keep an eye on our Events page

I haven't tried VR simracing, yet. Sounds really good with Life For Speed, heard of it being the best racer out there for Occulus Rift DK2. Watch this YouTube'rs reaction to the combination, his amazement is funny.
If I had a 3D monitor I would give 3D a go, but will need to wait a few years for cheap headsets.

I'm waiting on a graphics card being delivered to give me triple monitor setup... many years after it was the new thing
(Post Link) post #10 of 23 Old 02-01-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Ok, sounds great, I will definetly participate if I have the time, alot of traveling on work right now after new years and the simgear isn't exactly portable..

I have a 55inch 3d tv at home and I have tried simracing with that but it isnt anything special, the most imoprtant thing is the aspect ratio I feel, and with triples you get a really wide picture which gives the perception of speed much more and makes everything feel more natural and alot easier aswell, as for the pc hardware I only have a single r9 280 paired with an 8 core amd cpu and I constantly get over 60 fps especially after the ac 1.4 update except for the beginnings of the race when all the cars are on the gris, then its about 45-50fps.. As for Iracing its almost always way above 100fps with some settings lowered.. I am talking about online races ofcourse with atleast 16 drivers.. I wonder if its going to be more demanding using vr compared to triples hmm.. Ive read that the oculus is going to be priced around 350-400 usd, which is great if it turns out to be true, alot cheaper than 3 good monitors.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

I'm quite into my simracing got AC and project cars, tried iracing but wasn't convinced. Just bought dream pack 1 for AC what an amazing add on. I've got a Xeon based PC, gtx 770 with thrustmaster T500RS wheel , pedal set. I enjoy online but don't seem able to get near the best times on either PC or AC. Would welcome some tips to improve laptimes and to participate with some like minded racers.
(Post Link) post #12 of 23 Old 06-01-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
The simracing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Caine View Post
I'm quite into my simracing got AC and project cars, tried iracing but wasn't convinced. Just bought dream pack 1 for AC what an amazing add on. I've got a Xeon based PC, gtx 770 with thrustmaster T500RS wheel , pedal set. I enjoy online but don't seem able to get near the best times on either PC or AC. Would welcome some tips to improve laptimes and to participate with some like minded racers.

Its great to hear that there are poeple on here that are into simracing! Yeah Assetto corsa is the future of simracing I feel, but the competitive online is the strong point of iracing.. I cant remember the last time I had a clean race on a public server in ac without someone bumping in to me, but it is much better now that the netcode has been sorted a bit.. As for the tips, practice, practice and more practice is the biggest tip you can get I believe. Since we are basically sitting in a static chair, without any other feedback aside from the wheel (unless you have a motion system that costs 10-40k) it is actually more diffucult driving a virtual car compared to a real one. Our brains are programmed to feel the g-forces of a real car and react accordingly to our senses, but only having our vision and the force feedback makes it much harder to adapt and needs much more practice I feel, also having a triple screen setup makes for a wider viewing angle and helps alot with the sense of speed. Another tip is, if you are unfamiliar with a certain track that you wish to become faster on is to watch how the fastest drivers are driving and which braking points and racing lines they are taking, that is usually what I do in order to be competitive at a track that I am not familiar with, go in to a practice session and watch what braking and racing line the fastest drivers are taking and I can gurantee you are going to notice a difference in laptimes.. Obviously skill is a big factor as in any other sport but more practice makes up for that.. And ofcourse to set your field of ciew and force feedback up correctly so that it is not oversaturating the ffb motors, (clipping) as it is also called...

Yeah and also, since most of the tracks in AC and Iracing are laserscanned and are very accurate to the real tracks you can also watch onboard youtube videos of real racing drivers, did that on sebring alot when racing in Iracing and learned alot with just styding the racing lines compared to just going out on my own and trying to find the best racing lines..

Hopefully you will find some of these tips helpful, basically anything is possible with some careful study and practice..

Last edited by Bazzabara; 06-01-16 at 23:14.
AO Member

Calling all petrol-heads The next Monday Night Racing event hosted by Triple7Racing is on 18th January using Assetto Corsa. I think you'll approve of the car - Alfa Romeo GTA!
While this car is part of DreamPack1 content, the track is a free download available from our website.
Sign-up at our forum please
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MNR-Event9-Blackwood.jpg (215.6 KB, 7 views)
Bazzabara likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzabara View Post
Its great to hear that there are poeple on here that are into simracing! Yeah Assetto corsa is the future of simracing I feel, but the competitive online is the strong point of iracing.. I cant remember the last time I had a clean race on a public server in ac without someone bumping in to me, but it is much better now that the netcode has been sorted a bit.. As for the tips, practice, practice and more practice is the biggest tip you can get I believe. Since we are basically sitting in a static chair, without any other feedback aside from the wheel (unless you have a motion system that costs 10-40k) it is actually more diffucult driving a virtual car compared to a real one. Our brains are programmed to feel the g-forces of a real car and react accordingly to our senses, but only having our vision and the force feedback makes it much harder to adapt and needs much more practice I feel, also having a triple screen setup makes for a wider viewing angle and helps alot with the sense of speed. Another tip is, if you are unfamiliar with a certain track that you wish to become faster on is to watch how the fastest drivers are driving and which braking points and racing lines they are taking, that is usually what I do in order to be competitive at a track that I am not familiar with, go in to a practice session and watch what braking and racing line the fastest drivers are taking and I can gurantee you are going to notice a difference in laptimes.. Obviously skill is a big factor as in any other sport but more practice makes up for that.. And ofcourse to set your field of ciew and force feedback up correctly so that it is not oversaturating the ffb motors, (clipping) as it is also called...

Yeah and also, since most of the tracks in AC and Iracing are laserscanned and are very accurate to the real tracks you can also watch onboard youtube videos of real racing drivers, did that on sebring alot when racing in Iracing and learned alot with just styding the racing lines compared to just going out on my own and trying to find the best racing lines..

Hopefully you will find some of these tips helpful, basically anything is possible with some careful study and practice..
I struggle with braking as I get no feedback, get braking points right, not locking up, not shedding too much speed, then getting too much understeer when going on the power out the corners, I get fairly consistent times but kind of hit a limit off the best times. I also find I get better times when I am chasing someone.
(Post Link) post #15 of 23 Old 09-01-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
The simracing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Caine View Post
I struggle with braking as I get no feedback, get braking points right, not locking up, not shedding too much speed, then getting too much understeer when going on the power out the corners, I get fairly consistent times but kind of hit a limit off the best times. I also find I get better times when I am chasing someone.

A load cell break mod would help you out with the braking and as far as I can remember the t500 brake pedal is spring based, but then again braking doesnt seem to be the issue as you say, a bit more delikacy with the throttle maybe.. But you should also know that alot of racers, even professionals are "chasers" and tend to be alot faster during races than qualifing, that usually goes for everyone but some more than others.
AO Member

Sorry, just have to blow a trumpet again.
The recognition has come through for Triple7Racing by the British MSA (Motor Sports Association), the first for a pure simracing team we believe.
Read more here
We're chuffed

County: UK
Garage

Member car:

156 2.0TS

Another simracer here. I have triple screens, G27 and enough grunt to run it all. I like to mix up my driving between Euro truck (relaxing), spintires (mud plugging) and AC, although I spend most of my AC time slowly lapping Goodwood (local track), Brands or Spa.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_ks_lamborghini_gallardo_sl_ks_brands_hatch_12-2-116-18-50-30.jpg (43.3 KB, 6 views)
Bazzabara likes this.
(Post Link) post #18 of 23 Old 06-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppyuk View Post
Another simracer here. I have triple screens, G27 and enough grunt to run it all. I like to mix up my driving between Euro truck (relaxing), spintires (mud plugging) and AC, although I spend most of my AC time slowly lapping Goodwood (local track), Brands or Spa.
Havent been simracing in a while myself, I reciently mooved and havent really had the time to set everything up but this weekend il set everything up again and check the new updates in ac. Alot has happened with the game in the last couple of months from what I have read and heard.. Anyways I was also looking to replace my wheel with something a little more modern and something that will work on ps4 aswell and Im not really up to date with the latest simracing hardware, anyone got any ideas on what wheel to get that will work on ps4 aswell?

Also, couldnt find any videos with the final oculus cv version and simracing, I was thinking of getting one but since the price is a little higher than I was expecting I was hoping to see some reviews of it before I actually order one.. Anyone on here with the latest oculus cv version maybe?

Skickat från min Nexus 6P via Tapatalk
AO Member

Logitech replaced the G27 with two new wheels; G29 for PS4 and PC, G920 for Xbox One and PC.
I've read a few people complaining the G29 doesn't work correctly with the PC and ended up shipping them back. I don't know if the issue has been fixed since.
Of course there's other manufacturers, Fanatic, SHR to name two. There's a few that need mega money too.

Oculus Rift sounds really promising, but no budget here. Maybe a few versions later I'll dip into it.

County: UK
Garage

Member car:

156 2.0TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzabara View Post
Havent been simracing in a while myself, I reciently mooved and havent really had the time to set everything up but this weekend il set everything up again and check the new updates in ac. Alot has happened with the game in the last couple of months from what I have read and heard.. Anyways I was also looking to replace my wheel with something a little more modern and something that will work on ps4 aswell and Im not really up to date with the latest simracing hardware, anyone got any ideas on what wheel to get that will work on ps4 aswell?

Also, couldnt find any videos with the final oculus cv version and simracing, I was thinking of getting one but since the price is a little higher than I was expecting I was hoping to see some reviews of it before I actually order one.. Anyone on here with the latest oculus cv version maybe?

Skickat från min Nexus 6P via Tapatalk
They have done a few amount of work of some of the older tracks, the Ring and Spa are as pretty as Brands now. Sim racing has never looked so good!
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
I was quite an ace in The Duel: Test Drive II
AO Member

County: Midlothian
Garage

Member car:

MiTo QVLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarnish3 View Post
Logitech replaced the G27 with two new wheels; G29 for PS4 and PC, G920 for Xbox One and PC.
I've read a few people complaining the G29 doesn't work correctly with the PC and ended up shipping them back. I don't know if the issue has been fixed since.
Of course there's other manufacturers, Fanatic, SHR to name two. There's a few that need mega money too.

Oculus Rift sounds really promising, but no budget here. Maybe a few versions later I'll dip into it.
From the people I know that upgraded wheels to the latest logitech ones the majority went for the G920 and got the additional H-Shifter and I've not heard any complaints.

Personally I like my sims including Assetto Corsa, Spintires, Project Cars, GRID Autosport, DiRT Rally... The list goes on haha

I can't seem to stay away from my wallet when a new car game comes out
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

I have a G29, and indeed it doesn't work as well as you might like.

That said, I haven't used it for probably 3 months because of this. I must set it up again and see if they've sorted it out now.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
simracing , thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page