Sky Q - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By AmicusPro
  • 2 Post By AmicusPro

(Post Link) post #1 of 19 Old 18-11-15 Thread Starter

County: Cork
Garage
Wave Sky Q

Good news for supporters of Sky AKA The Axis Of Evil ™ who are thinking of upgrading to 4K or who want some more features from their set top box

Sky Q promises to reimagine TV with 4K and "fluid viewing" | What Hi-Fi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whathifi.com

The new Sky Q service will be available in early 2016, is Ultra HD compatible and aims to deliver "fluid viewing". There are two new Sky Q boxes, a new app, new broadband hub and a redesigned Sky Q interface.

Sky has launched its much-anticipated new platform, called Sky Q. The platform includes two new Sky TV boxes, a new Sky Q app and a new broadband hub.

The box is Ultra HD compatible, with Sky promising to launch "the UK’s most comprehensive Ultra High Definition service later in 2016".

The main Sky Q box has a whopping 12 TV tuners and is capable of recording four programmes at once. The main Sky Q box is the powerhouse of the system, which can then feed a maximum of two Sky Q mini boxes in two other rooms. Each box is also a WiFi hotspot, boosting your network around your home.

You can watch on up to three TVs and two tablets at once - and it's the first time that Sky has allowed you to watch recorded content from your box on a tablet.

The new boxes also include AirPlay and Bluetooth for streaming music from a phone, tablet or computer. There's no support for video over AirPlay, however.

A new Sky Q app makes this possible, launching on iOS and Android tablets at first, with a smartphone app set to launch later in 2016. The Sky Q mini box too, the company's first wireless box, streams recorded content wirelessly from your main box and has access to on demand programmes.

The platform aims to deliver a "fluid" TV viewing experience, allowing you to watch recorded programmes and Sky content across multiple devices, in the home and in the go, including your recording programmes on a tablet.

The service launches with a brand new interface, which marries live and on demand content, and will offer content recommendations based on your viewing habits. There are apps too, such as Vevo and YouTube, plus editorial content from the likes of Wired.

Sky Q is a whole new platform for Sky and as a result, it won't work with existing Sky+ boxes. While Sky says it's always working on improvements to its service, it's unlikely the new interface will come to Sky+ HD boxes either.

There's a new remote for the Q system, with a touch interface promising to make browsing content easier and faster.

Sky Q will launch in early 2016, with pricing and further details on 4K channels to be confirmed nearer the time.

"It's time to set your TV free" was the teaser video, and while Ultra HD was part of the announcement, it was the wireless, fluid viewing aspect of the new Q platform that took centre stage.

Rumours around a Sky 4K box had circulated for some time, with BT having beaten Sky to the jump earlier this year with a 4K box to accompany the launch of its BT Sport Ultra HD channel.

Sky established 'Project Ethan' to work on 4K TV back in 2014. Earlier this year it had been suggested Sky Q was the company's plan to deliver a Netflix-style interface, blending live and on-demand content, and the rumours were true.

The ability to watch content recorded to your Sky box on your mobile or tablet was long-rumoured and this finally arrived with Sky Q, as did the ability to stream different programmes to different sceens, all from the same box and Sky account. Another popular upgrade request was for more tuners - Virgin offers three tuners in its TiVo box as opposed to Sky's two - and Sky took a giant leap to a massive 12 tunes in the main Sky Q box.

There's no word on pricing - we wouldn't expect these boxes or the new Q service to be cheap - but Sky promised more information ahead of the launch in "early 2016".
Read more at Sky Q promises to reimagine TV with 4K and "fluid viewing" | What Hi-Fi?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Lancaster

Member car:

147 & GQV

Quote:
Sky has launched its much-anticipated new platform, called Sky Q. The platform includes two new Sky TV boxes, a new Sky Q app and a new broadband hub.
An App? A new broadband hub? A whole new platform?

I can barely contain my excitement at this.

Is it as flexible as the VW MQB Platform?
AO Platinum Member

County: Hampshire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

All sounds good to me
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Broadcast TV is dead. Sky haven't sussed this yet. 12 tuners. FFS.
(Post Link) post #5 of 19 Old 18-11-15 Thread Starter

Garage
12 for when an octo LNB isn't enough
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

So you'll have a single main box connected to the dish, and it will send all necessary video output to individual devices by wifi I think is the gist. 12 tuners to allow all the different devices to view different channels (and record too).

I wonder whether you'll have to have Sky wifi for it to work?

Bet it'll be hellishly expensive. Unless they do use it as a hook to get people to use them for multiple services.
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
So you'll have a single main box connected to the dish, and it will send all necessary video output to individual devices by wifi I think is the gist. 12 tuners to allow all the different devices to view different channels (and record too).

I wonder whether you'll have to have Sky wifi for it to work?

Bet it'll be hellishly
expensive. Unless they do use it as a hook to get people to use them for multiple services.
Only thing you need to know/guess when it's from Sky
TheGrimJeeper likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Seat Ateca SE

They will subsidise the early adopters to get as many people on board as possible.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfamack View Post
They will subsidise the early adopters to get them hooked on a new technological drug to drain them of vast amounts of money in the future.
Edited for accuracy ;-)
VO2Max and Alfamack like this.
(Post Link) post #10 of 19 Old 20-11-15 Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmicusPro View Post
Edited for accuracy ;-)

Translation: Edited by a hater :HEADBANG:

:EVIL:

IIRC in a head to head between some of the main players on The Gadget Show a while back Sky actually came out as being the best value considering the service they provided.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
Translation: Edited by a hater :headbang:

:Evil:

IIRC in a head to head between some of the main players on The Gadget Show a while back Sky actually came out as being the best value considering the service they provided.
Was there a heavy WAF rating? In my house SWMBO keeps saying get rid of it but is the main user of the all the PVR features and hated the interface of a Freeview PVR we had for a while. It has to be said the Sky UI is very very good.
(Post Link) post #12 of 19 Old 20-11-15 Thread Starter

Garage
Not sure about the rating And yes I really like the Sky UI & it keeps improving with the updates

Last edited by David P; 21-11-15 at 07:18.
(Post Link) post #13 of 19 Old 20-11-15 Thread Starter

Garage
Some more info about Sky Q & the new set top boxes Sky Q: What is it? When can you get it? | What Hi-Fi?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 SW TBi

I've used the Sky PVR at the in-laws and whilst it's not bad (not a lot to compare with), I prefer the PlayTV PVR on the Playstation (and no, that's not perfect either).

Depends what they were comparing in terms of value. If Virgin, then I'm not surprised... I don't think they're great value either!

And I'm not sure how much I read into the Gadget Show scores...
(Post Link) post #15 of 19 Old 27-01-16 Thread Starter

Garage
And on the topic of Sky Q as mentioned elsewhere recently Sky Q hands-on review | What Hi-Fi?
(Post Link) post #16 of 19 Old 29-01-16 Thread Starter

Garage
Sky Q info released today Sky Q release date set for February and premium pricing confirmed | What Hi-Fi?

and some info for the locals :IRISH: :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Ireland
The pricing, as a standard would be as follows:

Sky Q Bundle – €55 per month

•Sky TV in 1 room
•Stream TV on 1 tablet
•Take Recordings with you (via the Sky Q app)
•Record 3 shows and watch a 4th live
•Store up to 150 hours with 1TB storage on the Sky Q box
•300+ Channels including a Sky1, Sky Living, Sky Arts and Sky Atlantic
•Up to 65 HD channels
•Over 300 Sky Box Sets On Demand
•Free service visits
•3D On Demand
•Sky Go Extra & downloads

Sky Q Silver Bundle – €67 per month

•Sky TV in 2 rooms
•Stream TV on 2 tablets
•Take Recordings with you (via the Sky Q app)
•Record 4 shows and watch a 5th live
•Store up to 150 hours with 1TB storage on the Sky Q box
•300+ Channels including a Sky1, Sky Living, Sky Arts and Sky Atlantic
•Up to 65 HD channels
•Over 300 Sky Box Sets On Demand
•Free service visits
•3D On Demand
•Sky Go Extra & downloads
•UHD ready

Sky Sports and Sky Movies subscription costs will remain unchanged at €37.50 and €28 respectively or €46.50 when bought together.

The installation and Smart Features one-off costs from €99 will be determined by your current package for existing customers or your chosen package as a new customer ... call 0818 719 819 and get some more individual info.

Last edited by David P; 29-01-16 at 20:52.
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
I can never forgive Sky (Via NDS) hacking competitors encryption and them posting it all on the internet to drive them out of business..
And they never paid taxes

No one at NewsCorp ever gets done for breaking the law. Murdoch must be fireproof.
AO Gold Member

County: Kent

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

This does look good.
I have just laid a couple of network cables and a coax (for the magic eye) to connect my main Sky+ HD box in the living room to another TV upstairs. Using network HDMI baluns it does look really good but a right old faff to install and cable but it was more or less free seeing as I had the kit from a previous install.
(Post Link) post #19 of 19 Old 19-07-16 Thread Starter

Garage
4K content available on Sky Q from August Sky Ultra HD 4K hands-on review | What Hi-Fi?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
sky

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page