Have given up with W10! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By David WB

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 28-09-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: herts
Have given up with W10!

Gave up the ghost on this freebie update, even after inserting the USB stick Andy kindly forwarded to me,it still refuses to update.:

Plus it has altered what was the existing data part of the Disc drive.

Now I also have an ever expanding data partition for some reason or other on a sort of crippled Windows7?

Would that have something to do with Microsoft recently pushing snooping updates on Widows 7 & 8 as mentioned in Web User this week?

Can I remove this data partition, or is that an absolute no no? Forgive my ignorance please.:

I have already attempted to block updates, but somehow they still seem to get through, and then this is followed by a lengthy period of the same updates being removed/reverted automatically.

You can see how little I understand computers asking... Doh! questions like this I guess? :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Lancaster

Member car:

147 & GQV

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu ferret View Post
Gave up the ghost on this freebie update, even after inserting the USB stick Andy kindly forwarded to me,it still refuses to update.:

Plus it has altered what was the existing data part of the Disc drive.

Now I also have an ever expanding data partition for some reason or other on a sort of crippled Windows7?

Would that have something to do with Microsoft recently pushing snooping updates on Widows 7 & 8 as mentioned in Web User this week?

Can I remove this data partition, or is that an absolute no no? Forgive my ignorance please.:

I have already attempted to block updates, but somehow they still seem to get through, and then this is followed by a lengthy period of the same updates being removed/reverted automatically.

You can see how little I understand computers asking... Doh! questions like this I guess? :
Disc partitions should be very open to management through the administrative procedures within the control panel. I believe Windows Update has been given free and uncontrolled reign over those people who do not purchase the professional edition of Windows.

The partition is just space, so adjusting it will be completely fine. A note of caution being that W10 will/may erase any other OS placed on the disc as Windows wants the entire disc to itself.

First step is to change to Windows 10, then retract some of the partition size, and then install other OSs at the top level of the disc structure. Linux's Grub system should then be able to control the OS selection as normal. I do not believe there is any way to prevent Windows taking over the whole disc upon installation.

As a note to more expert users, or more of a question. Will Windows 10 take over partitions it cannot normally access because of incorrect formatting?
zulu ferret likes this.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 28-09-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: herts
Thanks for taking time out to consider my problem WB.

I'll try that which you mention and see what happens then.:

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
w10

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page