New Apple Stuff - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

2Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 29 Old 09-09-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
New Apple Stuff

WooHoo! Apple Watch + AirStrip medical app:

I gotta get me one for the foetal heart monitoring !!

Apple LIVE: The latest from today's iPhone-iPad extravaganza in our no-hate zone ? The Register

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 29 Old 09-09-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

So today Apple announced two major innovations:

I detachable physical input device with keys called a "key-board".

And a thin physical pen like devices called a "style-us".

However do they come up with these things?

AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tata4Now View Post
And a thin physical pen like devices called a "style-us".
Wow! Can't wait until next year when they release that over here, at the same price in GBP that it is in USD. Although I assume our version will be the "style-uk"
AO Silver Member

County: Durham

Member car:

VW Tiguan smoker

I had enough of Apple this iPhone 6 I've got isn't that much better than my old nexus one which is 5 years old.

They do seem to copy old ideas and pretend they've invented them but what I find really odd is the mass hysteria that comes with the old erm I mean new inventions, oh and the price tags are ridiculous
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
Problem is that the iPhone is a pants phone. It is a good computer, but at the core skill of actually getting a signal and speaking to people it is not very good. If I put my iPhone and the wife's Sony 'droid side by side, hers makes calls, mine doesn't.
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo
Can't afford any new tech stuff right now, so didn't even pay attention to the latest Apple launch :dunno:
AO Platinum Member

Says the man who wants to buy a mustang

....and a Maserati ...
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo
I do want to buy them ... shame the money ain't there
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy View Post
Says the man who wants to buy a mustang

....and a Maserati ...
Buying them tends to make one broke...

I rather like my Apples, however it's just a personal preference as they're no better than the equivalent Android. Windaz phones however.... ugh
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcQV View Post
Buying them tends to make one broke...

I rather like my Rotten Apples, however it's just a personal preference as they're no better than the equivalent Android. Windows phones however.... ugh
Corrected for accuracy (well you can still have an opinion even if it is wrong... )

Frankly, I wouldn't buy an iPhone as I don't see the value in them, but then I think that about Samsung and their scatter-gun approach to flooding the market. And despite being a Windows fan in general, the 530 was a disaster release (took the excellent value 520 and made it worse).
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmicusPro View Post
Corrected for accuracy (well you can still have an opinion even when I'm wrong... )

Frankly, I wouldn't buy an iPhone as I don't see the value in them, but then I think that about Samsung and their scatter-gun approach to flooding the market. And despite being a Windows fan in general, the 530 was a disaster release (took the excellent value 520 and made it worse).
Edited for accuracy
I love iPhone. You need to pay a few quid whether it's Android or iPhone otherwise they'll break (much quicker).
I just prefer Apple's interface to Android, it's no better I just like it. Simple as.
Windows phones like the ****ty Windows 8 interface are ****. I struggle to find even the biggest of Windows fans I know, whom like it. Worse on the desktop but the on the phone it's not much better.
My mum has just bought a smart phone. She could have had a Nokia running Windaz or a Moto(rolo) on the latest version of Android. I pointed her at the Android, can't imagine trying to show her how to use that crap Nokia, I work in IT (and use Windows 7 thankfully, as a tool) and can't imagine how hard it would be on the phone.

I'm not going anywhere, I'm just going.
Statements above are all my own opinion and not fact.
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcQV View Post
Edited for accuracy
I love iPhone. You need to pay a few quid whether it's Android or iPhone otherwise they'll break (much quicker).
I just prefer Apple's interface to Android, it's no better I just like it. Simple as.
Windows phones like the ****ty Windows 8 interface are ****. I struggle to find even the biggest of Windows fans I know, whom like it. Worse on the desktop but the on the phone it's not much better.
My mum has just bought a smart phone. She could have had a Nokia running Windows or a Moto(rolo) on the latest version of Android. I pointed her at the Android, can't imagine trying to show her how to use that crap Nokia, I work in IT (and use Windows 7 thankfully, as a tool) and can't imagine how hard it would be on the phone.
It can't have been edited for accuracy when I'm always right ;-)

There's not a whole lot wrong with the windows 8 interface on a phone - the live tiles are more flexible and informative than a single icon - you can maximise the size of the apps you want on the front screen. I am not saying it's perfect (no single system is). And as someone who also works in IT (and has happily used Windows 7, 8/8.1 and just starting use of Windows 10) I have no issue with showing someone how to use any phone and find more people calling up getting lost on iPhone/Android phones as Windows phones if they're new to smart phones. Yes it's different, like 8/8.1 is different. Better? Well that's personal preference ultimately. These days it doesn't matter much on which system you choose to use as they all pretty much do the same thing. Of course if you're too stuck in your ways to change (and I'm holding my hand up here for there are some things I think it's change for the sake of it and not necessarily better) then that's fine - it's your prerogative. But don't discount something as c*** just because you don't like it (and I know you mentioned others but I know of enough people who like it - I could name as many Apple users who don't like their system but I don't write it off totally because of that).

ok, rant over. Can't be bothered any more today!

Anyway, an Alfa driver of all people should understand that the masses aren't always right... Think about opinions of Alfas
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

As ever my signature says it all. It's just an opinion. I don't have to use it (though I have in this case) to dislike it. If I dislike it then it's crap (IMHO of course )
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
One of my customers' insisted on replacing his iPhone with a Galaxy S6 recently. Everyone else in the company uses an iPhone but he has big stubby fingers and can't work one but he thought he could live with an S6. I asked him 3 times whether he was sure before ordering the thing as I felt he would just be replacing one lot of issues with a different set.

He has had said phone for a month and I will now say that as a business tool the S6 is rubbish or rather some of the software on it is rubbish and stops some basic business tasks that work perfectly on an iPhone. Example - voice activated calling. Pretty basic stuff.

The Galaxy S-Voice software will only recognise contacts in its device contact list not the corporate one and only operates on a "Call Firstname" basis. It isn't interested in a Lastname at all. It is impossible to get it to read the corporate address book for voice stuff and the obvious workround of exporting and importing isn't going to work either - "Call John" is a bit hit and miss when you have 30+ John's in your contact list.

So. I agree that an Android phone is cheaper and has more features than an iPhone and for personal use may well be the way to go. However as a business tool to do basic things the iPhone wins hands down.
AO Member

County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

Giulietta MA 170

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 which I received about 2 months ago, I use daily. It works well, I enjoy using it, it does have some annoying design features though.
I have a Apple iphone 5s which I received 2 years ago, I use it almost constantly, I find myself holding it when I am not using it. It works excellently and I am yet to find a feature that doesn't impress.
I have a Nokia Lumia something or other which I have owned for 2 years. It was turned on for that length of time, but I used it only when it rang. It lives in a box now. I hate it.
I have an HTC 8s Windows phone. I have turn it on and off again three times. It also lives in a box. It is a worthless piece of sh*t.

On pay day, I will be purchasing an iphone 6s Plus to replace my 5s. I could have bought a Samsung S6 plus which has a much nicer screen but navigating an iphone, holding an iphone and using one generally is much more of a pleasing experience for me.

Nero Black touch up for sale.
(Post Link) post #16 of 29 Old 21-09-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydentaku View Post
I find myself holding it when I am not using it.

Fetish Figure
Pronunciation: /ˈfɛtɪʃ/ /ˈfɪɡə/
An inanimate object worshipped for its supposed magical powers or because excessive devotion was paid to it.
AO Member

County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

Giulietta MA 170

Seriously, I have a problem and I WILL go blind.
AO Platinum Member

County: herts
Nah not so jaydentaku, bonkon into old age, but the old prostate may play up a bit but DifundozXL sorts that gear out,

Hope that helps Old Chap.

Last edited by zulu ferret; 21-09-15 at 13:55.
AO Silver Member

County: Durham

Member car:

VW Tiguan smoker

Last year I purchased an iPhone 6 but this year the iPhone 6s has been released and I didn't even realise until one of my mates told me he's got one. I remember him showing off his snazzy iPhone 6 last year
So off to google to see what major improvements it has that made him splash the cash over his 1 year old iPhone 6 and if I can be tempted to buy one.
Results are slight improvements and worse battery life for a one with decent memory 64gb it's 619!!! Yes six hundred and nineteen pounds

The billions of pounds they make surely someone in apple R&D can make a phone that doesn't need a screen protector won't shatter into a million pieces if I drop it from more than 6 inches and can handle a bit of water. These design features should be paramount for making a phone that was originally designed to be used outdoors.

I've came to the conclusion that my mate is a moron and I'll be telling him that tomorrow
MalcQV likes this.

I just spent all morning watching a VH1 special on Gwen Stefani. I don't know what a Hollaback girl is. All I know is that I want her dead.
(Post Link) post #20 of 29 Old 30-09-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

No point.

The only way people will stop buying Apple tat is if it turns
out they are more polluting than VW DERVs.

And even then most people'd still part with the price of
an extremely cool pair of designer glasses to have one.

Errr....
AO Platinum Member

But they don't look like Timmy Mallet when using a 'phone.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tata4Now View Post
No point.

The only way people will stop buying Apple tat is if it turns
out they are more polluting than VW DERVs.

And even then most people'd still part with the price of
an extremely cool pair of designer glasses to have one.

Errr....
It's a personal preference. Long story short, My mum has a new smart phone, it's a decent Android. I got annoyed just trying to add a contact.

So it is down to nothing different than Linux vs MacOS vs Windows. They're all good, some better at doing some things than others but on the whole they all work. It's what you prefer. I don't know anyone whom looks a their neighbour and thinks, "they're cool with that Apple phone".
GhostyDog likes this.
AO Gold Member

County: Surrey
I purchased an Apple Watch last week.

I got the 38mm one in silver with a silver strap and I pretended it was a gift for the wife, but secretly I wanted to play with it. The wife is a committed iPhone user so I thought she might get some joy from it as I was sure it would link to Facebook, Instagram, Whatsapp and the other various apps she uses to avoid having to speak to me or the kids.

Turns out it's a load of old cobblers.

She toyed with it for a few minutes before realising that actually there isn't a Facebook app for the watch (or at least the advertized one doesnt seem to actually do anything), the screens too small to really see photos on for Instagram, and Whatsapp doesnt work on it either.

I played with it for 10 minutes changing the clock display and generally smiling at the whizzy contacts features.... but then got bored.

It's now sitting on it's charger next to her side of the bed. Not being worn.

I suspect at some stage some Apps will come out for it which are useful, but nothing yet. And by the time those Apps do come out - I'm sure this version of the Watch will need upgrading.

The only really integrated apps seem to be fitness/monitoring apps - but she already has a dedicated watch thing for that (FitBit?) and she says that's better anyway and her FitBit thing is waterproof for swimming which the Apple Watch isn't.

Oh well.
AO Platinum Member

County: herts
Hang on to that fitness bit Fred as long as possible as it gradually gets harder and harder as time passes?

I use a Boots BP monitor occasionally, but never after or during any sort of limited exercise that I now do? :
AO Gold Member

County: Surrey
I'm still boxing twice per week, Zed - and I just got a new bike to start doing some early morning mileage too.

At the ripe old age of 52 and three-quarters I am trying hard to stay lithe & supple!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
apple , stuff

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page